People's album Helpful/Unhelpful votes

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Are people's helpful/unhelpful votes helpful?
helpful
13%
 13%  [3]
unhelpful
34%
 34%  [8]
neither helpful nor unhelpful
52%
 52%  [12]
Total Votes : 23

Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/03/2018 13:10
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
Those buttons were always meant as a way for people to bury troll content, and allow users to upvote the most informative comments so that the best comments could be surfaced to site visitors. The burying of troll comments is fairly effective, it's just the second part which is less so. I appreciate the functionality isn't really being used in this way by most people, and may need to think of a better way of doing this.

I find that it does its purpose. I've always appreciated reading a good, thoughtful, thorough review with a with a whole bunch of thumbs up.

If someone doesn't like a 'popular' album and gives a good explanation as to why, then I usually give them a thumbs up. It's not about whether or not I disagree/agree, it's just the quest to read stuff that isn't garbage.
Decurso

Canada

• Posted: 03/03/2018 18:24
  • Post subject:
I am glad I am not the only to notice this. The other day I was reading comments on an artist ranked in the op 25. I had never really listened to them much, but after giving them a shot...I was completely unimpressed. Several users left some comments that actually were pretty helpful in describing said artist...but because they were negative, they had been rated as unhelpful. The idea is whether the comment can be of any use to a prospective listener. Sadly, it is mostly used to express agreement and disagreement.

Live Albums

Death Metal
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/03/2018 19:27
  • Post subject:
could maybe just change the label to say 'Informative?' instead of 'Helpful?', but not sure it would change how people use it.
  • Visit poster's website
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 03/03/2018 19:30
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
Those buttons were always meant as a way for people to bury troll content, and allow users to upvote the most informative comments so that the best comments could be surfaced to site visitors. The burying of troll comments is fairly effective, it's just the second part which is less so. I appreciate the functionality isn't really being used in this way by most people, and may need to think of a better way of doing this.

This is a good idea -- burying troll content. Troll posts are truly unhelpful. Maybe create a little "troll" button instead? Maybe like this?: Troll

Thank you for discussing this, albummaster. It wasn't what I was expecting. Smile
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/03/2018 19:56
  • Post subject:
I was a probably a bit wrong there to focus solely on troll comments as they aren't the entire problem. There are lots of ways a comment can be deemed 'unhelpful', and it's not just troll comments (some comments can be very short, or they might be longer but not very insightful, but still part of the conversation). The more difficult problem that needs to be solved is bumping up the better quality & more insightful comments (whether or not they are in accordance with the view of the crowd) and giving them better visibility.
  • Visit poster's website