BEAMAs 2014

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 12/28/2014 21:36
  • Post subject: Re: BEAMAs 2014
19loveless91 wrote:

I need to see what can be done with the survey making site that Jhereko uses. It would probably mean less work for us actually if it's doable.
Question I have here is - is 10 albums enough? While I think last year's 50 is a bit excessive, I still think most of us will have trouble narrowing it down to just 10.

25? I don't feel too strongly either way.
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 12/28/2014 22:29
  • Post subject:
*grabs booklet*

*grabs glasses*
*looks slightly*

ok...

Bad poetry...check
BEUA...check

.... BEAMAS.... wait what...??? *blinks heavily* yayayayay!

hyped for this year's one Razz

check
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 12/29/2014 03:20
  • Post subject:
I think the negative categories are virtually useless and do little more than foster divisiveness. But if they're kept I l'm not gonna make a big deal of it, I don't feel that strongly about it.

Also, I love that we do a best metal album, but that's so broad, would it be conceivable to break that up a little? I'm not saying into a million sub-genres, but maybe split it up like "best black metal album" or "best death metal album" or whatever. Just a thought.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 12/29/2014 04:06
  • Post subject:
Quote:
WORST ALBUM OF THE YEAR
WORST SONG OF THE YEAR

Still think these are pointless non-discussion troll categories that serve no purpose.

RockyRaccoon wrote:
I think the negative categories are virtually useless and do little more than foster divisiveness. But if they're kept I l'm not gonna make a big deal of it, I don't feel that strongly about it.

Also, I love that we do a best metal album, but that's so broad, would it be conceivable to break that up a little? I'm not saying into a million sub-genres, but maybe split it up like "best black metal album" or "best death metal album" or whatever. Just a thought.

^

Also, could maybe diversify by keeping it to the cores as suggested but could also still diversify through simplifications (ie: extreme metal, melodic metal, etc) but that might be unfair to other genres in the BEMAs.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 12/29/2014 04:24
  • Post subject:
YAY BEAMAS. I'm actually pretty ok with the current setup. I'd like to see a classical category though
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 12/29/2014 04:27
  • Post subject:
In the past there has been a shortage of votes in the metal category, so that's one possible reason to keep it broad.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 12/29/2014 04:28
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
YAY BEAMAS. I'm actually pretty ok with the current setup. I'd like to see a classical category though

Yeah, it'd be neat to see extensions of more fields.
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 12/29/2014 08:04
  • Post subject:
how about ....

Best Ambient Album
Best Punk/Garage Rock Album
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 12/29/2014 10:23
  • Post subject:
Actually, I pretty much like all the categories as they are, although Best Instrumental category seems a bit strange (are we talking instrumental rock music, or just music without vocals?). I like the negative categories because they're harmless fun, and I like the avant-garde category because it manages to cover music that fails to get mentioned elsewhere (even if it might be awkwardly named).

As for splitting up the Metal category, I'm not necessarily against the idea but it would be difficult to argue we should have more specific subgenre categories for Metal and not for, say, Electronic music, which is just as broad an umbrella term, or Rock music. And then where do we stop? Do we have separate categories for Mainstream Country and Outlaw Country? For East Coast Hip-Hop and West Coast Hip-Hop? Modal Jazz and Smooth Jazz and Post-Bop and Jazz Fusion? I just find it impossible to argue that Metal should be split up whilst Electronic music is fine, when the latter covers at least as wide a variety of musical styles. Splitting up the core genres would lead to a multitude of unnecessarily specific categories, many of which would likely garner very few votes. (As Squishy pointed out, Metal has hardly been voted on enthusiastically in the past compared to other categories, and is it really wise to split it up and risk even fewer people voting or getting involved?)

As for newly suggested categories, I'd have no problem with a Classical category, but would be worried that it wouldn't attract very many votes (that said, it's got to be worth a try). As for Ambient, I think that gets covered by Avant-Garde, though I wouldn't be against a name change (if a suitable name could be found - Experimental, perhaps?). Can't really see a need for a Punk/Garage Rock category, as it just seems a little too specific a category, which runs the risk of having less involvement in itself, and also begins the argument that I alluded to in my previous paragraph (i.e. where do we stop with subgenres?).

Also, I personally think the Pazz & Jop influenced idea should be kept separate from the BEAMAs. It's not as though people aren't going to take part in both.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 12/29/2014 11:40
  • Post subject:
Yeah the problem with adding more categories is what I mentioned before and what Skinny mentions - most of them won't attract enough voters to reach a clear consensus (metal category as it is had less voters than most other categories in previous years, I can imagine what will happen if we split it to subgenres), and I can't see how many people will want to fill out a ballot with so many categories. Those of you who submitted the ballots last year know how long it already takes. This is why I'm also still in favour of keeping country and folk together. Because I think the nominees will end up being stylistically similar enough, and I'm not sure country alone will have many votes.

So I'm personally in favour of keeping it broad. I also wouldn't mind either ambient or classical categories, but I'm not sure we'll have enough votes here. So for the time being I think instrumental, and I suppose avant-garde category (even if I'm not a fan of it) should cover for those albums.

Instrumental music category is maybe named a bit awkwardly, but means music without vocals. I.e. electronic music fits here too. Maybe it's not necessary (and it's not a genre category either), but in general this is the space for nominating all the drone/ambient, modern classical, film scores, etc.

As far as the points system is concerned, at this point I'm not sure if the Pazz & Jop idea is doable on the site we use for survey making without making it too messy. Otherwise I personally don't really mind either.
  • Visit poster's website