Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 02/14/2012 01:10
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
an_outlaw wrote:
Jhereko wrote:
laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame speech. Don't agree with it at all.

Well that's because... because...

Think

What should I be accusing you of here?

...being an advocate of music created electronically?

Really? Was he saying that music created electronically was without heart? I just assumed what he said covered all Rnb, electronic and whatever else.
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 02/14/2012 01:34
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
an_outlaw wrote:
Jhereko wrote:
laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame speech. Don't agree with it at all.

Think

I don't think Grohl has anything against music created electronically. He did a segment with Deadma5 on the same show.

I do think that what Grohl may have been talking about was the poor quality of the electronic music that accompanies the type of music that went with the Vegas acts of Brown, Minaj, etc. You can make electronic music that has plenty of heart and soul in it...you can also overproduce it to the point of it being sterile and lacking any semblance of emotional content. You can autotune vocals to the point of them being completely perfect...and inhuman. I think that's more of where he was going with it.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/14/2012 01:36
  • Post subject:
Dave Grohl is my hero. I think that guy and Paul McCartney are some of the most talented musicians of our time, mostly because of their versatility and love for music.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/14/2012 01:46
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
Jhereko wrote:
an_outlaw wrote:
Jhereko wrote:

Think

Really? Was he saying that music created electronically was without heart? I just assumed what he said covered all Rnb, electronic and whatever else.

Nah. Don't worry about Jhereko.

He's just pissed that Skrillex beat Cut Copy...
pearljammer13
Young Pilgrim

United States

• Posted: 02/14/2012 02:20
  • Post subject:
Yup Dave Grohl is indeed the man. He's certainly talking about overproduced, autotuned, altered music and recording methods. If you watch the Foo Fighters documentary Back And Forth which just came out before Wasting Light, Dave talks about his idea to not only record the album in his garage to bring it back to their roots, but also to record it on analogue tape, therefore making it impossible to alter any of it via computers and production.

Maybe Wasting Light isn't the most original album to come out of 2011, but knowing the way it was recorded instantly brings it up a couple notches. Dave Grohl is great, that's all there is to it.
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 02/14/2012 02:27
  • Post subject:
...but I like computers and production. I don't really get the speech at all.
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 02/14/2012 02:31
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
Jhereko wrote:
an_outlaw wrote:
Jhereko wrote:

Think

I don't think Grohl has anything against music created electronically. He did a segment with Deadma5 on the same show.

I do think that what Grohl may have been talking about was the poor quality of the electronic music that accompanies the type of music that went with the Vegas acts of Brown, Minaj, etc. You can make electronic music that has plenty of heart and soul in it...you can also overproduce it to the point of it being sterile and lacking any semblance of emotional content. You can autotune vocals to the point of them being completely perfect...and inhuman. I think that's more of where he was going with it.

He won for Best Rock Album, yes? Okay let's dissect his speech:

Dave Grohl wrote:
For me this award means alot because it shows that the human element of making rock is the most important.

How does it show that? It's a general 'Rock' award. Unless for some bizarre reason someone thinks 'Rock' = 'Music', I don't see how that statement makes sense?

Dave Grohl wrote:
Singing into a microphone and learning to play an instrument and learning your craft is the most important thing for people to do.

sampling, auto-tuning, Making beats on a computer etc are all crafts as well.

Dave Grohl wrote:
It’s not about being perfect. It’s not about sounding correct.

unless of course that is what you're aiming for? Why not let people sound how they want to sound Dave? If they want to take out all the bum notes in their voice just because they like the way it sounds...what's wrong with that?

Dave Grohl wrote:
It’s not about what goes on in a computer.

Again manipulating and creating music on a computer are absolutely crafts and not everyone is capable of doing them. So yeah, to an extent, it is about what goes on on a computer - dependent on the sound you're trying to make.

Dave Grohl wrote:
It’s about what goes on in here (points to heart) and what goes on in here (points to head.)

How is saying this whilst accepting an award for 'Best Rock Album' and starting his speech with "For me this award means alot because it shows that the human element of making rock is the most important. " not saying that he thinks that Rock is the only emotionally impacting/significant genre? Yeah in electronic/RnB/Hip-Hop etc there are songs that aren't very emotionally impacting. Is he, or anyone else agreeing with him, trying to say that all Rock music created without a computer is emotionally resonant?

To me it still sounds like he's putting Rock above everything else and belittling every other genre, which to me is grotesque and especially at an awards show that attempts to award all kinds of music.

Couple more points:

A) 1 thing I think rock has got wrong for years and still gets wrong is the thinking that the process is as important as the result. Not once have I heard a decent argument for why it is?

B) He performed with Deadmau5? Is he supposed to be on a higher level than Nicki Minaj? She's more critically acclaimed than him.

C) I don't expect many people on here to agree with what I've said, seeing as this is a rock dominated forum.

and

D) @ Hayden, not really that upset - seeing this years nominations (and snubbing of Kanye for album of the year) and some of their wins - kinda represented what a joke the grammys are. So them awarding or not awarding anything didn't upset me.

Last edited by Wombi on 02/14/2012 02:35; edited 1 time in total
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 02/14/2012 02:32
  • Post subject:

Ya, real complicated shit there squishy Rolling Eyes

But only if your IQ is about 60 as is yours.

NEXT

Evil or Very Mad

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 02/14/2012 02:43
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:

Ya, real complicated shit there squishy Rolling Eyes

But only if your IQ is about 60 as is yours.

NEXT

Evil or Very Mad

Unprovoked insults? nice move GARY. Now unless you're going to have a serious discussion about the topic at hand - I will be deleting all posts you make on this thread henceforth.
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 02/14/2012 02:54
  • Post subject:
I... actually agree with Jhereko Shocked

It's a dumb speech. It annoys me when people are so arrogant and think that mainstream music is soulless garbage meant to pander to the masses of idiots out there. Get over yourself Dave Grohl. The Foo Fighters are an average band anyways, not saving rock.

It's also hilarious to note that The Foo Fighters are one of the few bands that I've seen live Anxious
  • Visit poster's website