Faith Schools

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

• Posted: 08/02/2012 16:06
  • Post subject: Re: Faith Schools
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
Also I feel school should be where kids go to open their minds and ask question rather than be indoctrinated and patronised.

I like this statement here.

Whenever I'm truly honest about my opinions on things, they usually go against the status quo and are received negatively. But here it goes, anyway. At some point, both education as we know it and religion will become a thing of the past. Here is why.

First, education. Reason? Technology. Take iPhones, for example. In public, you usually see many people carrying these things around, perhaps even having them out and fixating themselves in them rather than being aware of their surroundings. This partially symbolizes the direction of humanity. These gadgets can practically think for us. In a few or several years, we will have special kinds of glasses and contact lenses, which will have the technology to look at someone and have their entire biography displayed before you, among many other things. This is another step towards our future. I once read or heard that there is a paralyzed man that cannot move or talk, but is alive. A chip was put into a specific area in this man's brain, and he was able to use a computer simply by thinking about it. I'm not sure if this has actually been done, or if it is currently being worked on. Either way, it brings this future into focus: that humanity is steadily becoming one with technology. Remember how, in the Matrix movies, Neo had abilities programmed through a computer to his brain? Well, just saying. It's possible... So as technology grows, information grows more available, the less skills that need teaching. Education will become just about useless for the common, everyday person.

And religion. Why? A few reasons, in no particular order, One: we simply aren't bored enough to be religious anymore. The average person today lives like a king would a hundred years ago. And most of the popular religions originated a couple thousand years ago. Two: Scientific evidence. First, there is a website called skepticsannotatedbible.com, which points out all plot-holes, inconsistencies, and things science has already disproven like how the Earth isn't flat (an idea that used to be considered blasphemy), or that the Sun doesn't rise/set (Earth revolves around the Sun), and that there was actually life before humanity. And second, yeah, Science continues to provide answers and better answers and even better ones, and continues to search for better answers. Also they will be sending out some sort of space probe thing, in a few years, where it's job is to find over 500 Earth-like planets. Was there a Jesus/Muhammad on all of them too? Three: It's an idea among many that religion was designed to better control and organize people. It teaches people to be less questioning and to obey. Royalty and priests actually voted for what made the cut into the Bible and what didn't. But we have something better today, the media. A major upgrade to religion in the controlling aspects. It gets people to buy things they don't need and care about events that don't have any real effects or meaning on society unless people pay attention, all of which are very effective distractions. The media makes religion less prominent and therefore less people care about it. Religion is much less a part of everyday life, part of why less people are religious than ever.
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 08/02/2012 20:51
I don't really disagree with any of your points, I think they're pretty fair and, for the most part, agreeable, but just to nitpick:

The Poe wrote:
Remember how, in the Matrix movies, Neo had abilities programmed through a computer to his brain? Well, just saying. It's possible...

Possible? Yes. Plausible? No.

All-in-all, though I feel the education system may become somewhat diminished in the near-future for reasons similar to the ones you've stated, its secondary uses - socializing and social education, babysitting kids while parents are at work, overcoming adversity, getting a quickie in the washroom, etc. - will still be of need.

As for religion - I get the sense that there will always be people who have to be zealous about SOMETHING. If religion "disappears" there will always be something to fill those very human needs for devotion, social division and elitism.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/02/2012 21:13
  • Post subject:
My High School is an catholic school but honestly apart from the occasional mass (nearly always optional) and R.E. lessons you can't tell. The R.E. lessons tell you about different religious views on stuff and are taught alongside regular science lessons.
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 08/02/2012 21:53
  • Post subject:
itsit wrote:
My High School is an catholic school but honestly apart from the occasional mass (nearly always optional) and R.E. lessons you can't tell. The R.E. lessons tell you about different religious views on stuff and are taught alongside regular science lessons.

I was forced to go to Catholic mass at my school until I managed to convince them that Matthew 6:6 allowed me to exclude myself.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 08/02/2012 22:24
The Poe wrote:
First, education. Reason? Technology. Take iPhones, for example. In public, you usually see many people carrying these things around, perhaps even having them out and fixating themselves in them rather than being aware of their surroundings. This partially symbolizes the direction of humanity. These gadgets can practically think for us. In a few or several years, we will have special kinds of glasses and contact lenses, which will have the technology to look at someone and have their entire biography displayed before you, among many other things. This is another step towards our future. I once read or heard that there is a paralyzed man that cannot move or talk, but is alive. A chip was put into a specific area in this man's brain, and he was able to use a computer simply by thinking about it. I'm not sure if this has actually been done, or if it is currently being worked on. Either way, it brings this future into focus: that humanity is steadily becoming one with technology. Remember how, in the Matrix movies, Neo had abilities programmed through a computer to his brain? Well, just saying. It's possible... So as technology grows, information grows more available, the less skills that need teaching. Education will become just about useless for the common, everyday person.

I believe you are taking this a bit too far. While education no longer needs to spend much time on having students remember cold hard facts as those can quickly and easily be pulled up by any pocket sized device it still, and most likely for a long long time to come, needs to educate every new generation in critical and analytical thinking as well as opening up their minds to all the areas of information out there that need to be explored. There will also be a need for teaching reading, writing, counting, and communicating skills, without which the information available through technology is out of reach. Technology can help us find the answers to a lot of things, but only if we know what we are looking for.

I would say it is really the other way around: As technology grows, information grows more available, the MORE skills that need teaching. Education will become even more necessary for the common, everyday person. That the education systems in most countries need to adapt to the changing world and change what and how it teaches is a different matter.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 08/02/2012 22:32
Jackwc wrote:
Possible? Yes. Plausible? No.

Was just throwing ideas around. Part of an overall point, I think you got it though. But I do think it IS possible, perhaps moreso in the distance. Past my lifetime? ...or will our generation live forever? You know, reverse aging process, put an end to that 80-year human age cap... Maybe be the first generation to live forever? (Wait, what does this have to do with anything... Think )

Jackwc wrote:
All-in-all, though I feel the education system may become somewhat diminished in the near-future for reasons similar to the ones you've stated, its secondary uses - socializing and social education, babysitting kids while parents are at work, overcoming adversity, getting a quickie in the washroom, etc. - will still be of need.

I had a long-winded response to this. Decided I didn't like it. Basically, what you say could be true for now. Maybe school will still exist, except be forced to replace most of the old traditional subjects like language, math, and so on with the things you mentioned. Or perhaps we'll see new subjects like "proper internet etiquette and the difference between 'your' and 'you're'".

Jackwc wrote:
As for religion - I get the sense that there will always be people who have to be zealous about SOMETHING. If religion "disappears" there will always be something to fill those very human needs for devotion, social division and elitism.

Did I say "disappear"? Hmm. At least I mean to say that I see religion becoming more of a small minority thing. Maybe it WILL actually disappear completely at some point, though, who knows.

Anyway, glad you agreed on some of that shit I was spewing. Razz

• Posted: 08/02/2012 23:17
Bork wrote:
needs to educate every new generation in critical and analytical thinking as well as opening up their minds to all the areas of information out there that need to be explored.

Ehh, I had another long-winded response that I deleted. Anyway, what you are saying would be nice but schools haven't been teaching critical/analytical thinking anyway, at least in the US (in my experience). I would support this method of teaching, though.

Bork wrote:
There will also be a need for teaching reading, writing, counting, and communicating skills, without which the information available through technology is out of reach. Technology can help us find the answers to a lot of things, but only if we know what we are looking for.

Hmmm, I don't know. I did mention the Matrix thing. But let's suppose that isn't possible. What you are asking for is pretty basic, anyway. It could be taught in about a year or a bit more with an efficient method. So there, school is shortened instead of disappearing!

But I think I understand the overall point. That schools will evolve along with technology, which you expressed more specifically in here:
Bork wrote:
I would say it is really the other way around: As technology grows, information grows more available, the MORE skills that need teaching. Education will become even more necessary for the common, everyday person. That the education systems in most countries need to adapt to the changing world and change what and how it teaches is a different matter.

I'll think about this. It's an interesting position. This leads to a bit of a larger picture on things heading forward, like how our economy will work if every job is someday taken by a machine, robot, or computer.
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/03/2012 00:06
  • Post subject:
I do believe that organised religion will, if not dissappear entirely, become largely irrelevant to society with time. The purposes served by religion are decreasing, people rely on religion less and less to explain the wonders of the universe, the morals professed by religion, particularly the more conservative ones, are becoming increasingly at odds with those of society at large and whilst people will always still find comfort with the idea of an eternal afterlife, you don't actually need religion to believe this.

In western countries religion is playing a smaller and smaller part in society, over here politicians don't ever even mention god, to suggest god or some form of religion has had influence on a politicians decision would be political suicide. Religion's influence over public life is diminishing here as I believe it is across the western world.
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 08/05/2012 04:26
  • Post subject:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
I do believe that organised religion will, if not dissappear entirely, become largely irrelevant to society with time. The purposes served by religion are decreasing, people rely on religion less and less to explain the wonders of the universe, the morals professed by religion, particularly the more conservative ones, are becoming increasingly at odds with those of society at large and whilst people will always still find comfort with the idea of an eternal afterlife, you don't actually need religion to believe this.

In western countries religion is playing a smaller and smaller part in society, over here politicians don't ever even mention god, to suggest god or some form of religion has had influence on a politicians decision would be political suicide. Religion's influence over public life is diminishing here as I believe it is across the western world.

Japan has been on that road for a while. It's mostly a non-religious country.
  • Visit poster's website
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 08/05/2012 05:22
  • Post subject:
There's this relevant video I saw once but I can't find it. Bleh. It basically says that religious schools suck, though, and that they have a whole bunch of loopholes at the state level (in the US) allowing religious schools to fuck kids up in ways they can't legally do at public schools. True story.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website