A '60s thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 11/06/2013 15:11
  • Post subject:
I'm looking through your 100 chart, and I can try to make some recommendations based on the 60's bands that influenced the bands that you like.

Stone Roses: you'll probably like The Hollies. Start with Butterfly or Evolution.
Nirvana: The Doors, by The Doors
Bob Dylan: You have Blood on the Tracks, check some of his 60's stuff. Highway 61 Revisited is a favorite.
Manic Street Preachers: Check out Paul Revere and the Raiders, start with Midnight Ride.
Radiohead: Pink Floyd's early work has been mentioned. Check out the Moody Blues - On the Threshold of a Dream
Depeche Mode: Eric Burden and the Animals. Start with "The Best of", their early stuff is more singles-oriented, and their best track, "We Gotta Get Out of This Place", was not on a studio album.
Fleetwood Mac: Their musical grandparents are The Mamas & the Papas, best album: If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears

Some others:
The Beach Boys: Pet Sounds is general considered their best work; I'm partial to their earlier stuff, represented by, for instance Little Deuce Coupe.
Strawberry Alarm Clock: Incense and Peppermints, an unsung masterpiece of psychedelia

Now, as far as the Beatles are concerned, it can be very rewarding going through the Beatles catalog in order. In your case, I'd start from Hard Day's Night and go forward:

1. [Please Please Me]
2. [With the Beatles] (come back to these two later)
3. Hard Day's Night
4. Beatles for Sale
5. Help! (also, see the movie if you can)
6. Rubber Soul
7. Revolver
8. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
9. Magical Mystery Tour
10. Yellow Submarine (again, see the movie). Magical Mystery Tour and new Yellow Submarine songs were recorded about the same time.
11. The White Album
12. Abbey Road
13. Let It Be
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
meezus

• Posted: 11/06/2013 15:15
  • Post subject:
I'm not particularly in love with The Beatles. I respect them, but honestly, I prefer Lennon's Plastic Ono Band to any Beatles album.

Here's my top 10 from the 60s:

1 ) The Doors, The Doors
2 ) Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, Pink Floyd
3 ) Strange Days, The Doors
4 ) Songs of Leonard Cohen, Leonard Cohen
5 ) Forever Changes, Love
6 ) Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin
7 ) The Velvet Underground & Nico, The Velvet Underground
8 ) Are You Experienced, The Jimi Hendrix Experience
9 ) The Velvet Underground, The Velvet Underground
10 ) S.F. Sorrow, Pretty Things

I'd also recommend In The Court of The Crimson King by King Crimson and Odessey And Oracle by The Zombies.

I'm not sure which of these you may have already heard, but I hope you like whichever ones you choose to check out.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 11/06/2013 15:41
  • Post subject:
Listmeister wrote:

Depeche Mode: Eric Burden and the Animals.

Think I don't see it.
  • Visit poster's website
AranD

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/06/2013 16:03
  • Post subject:
I've been going through the 60's for the first time recently too. I chose to do it year by year so I could see evolutions in music and I could imagine what it would be like to be a music listener as the 60's progressed.

To begin with I've gone through each year taking the first 5/15 top rated albums of each year to begin with, plus some from further down that I've heard about/bands I like. (I missed out the first couple of years of the decade, but I'll be going back to them) It's been brilliant so far. Others are more qualified to give reccomendations at the minute (apart from the Sonics, I love the Sonics) so I'll just reccomend that you enjoy it!
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 11/06/2013 16:19
  • Post subject:
Listmeister wrote:
I'm looking through your 100 chart, and I can try to make some recommendations based on the 60's bands that influenced the bands that you like.

Stone Roses: you'll probably like The Hollies. Start with Butterfly or Evolution.
Nirvana: The Doors, by The Doors
Bob Dylan: You have Blood on the Tracks, check some of his 60's stuff. Highway 61 Revisited is a favorite.
Manic Street Preachers: Check out Paul Revere and the Raiders, start with Midnight Ride.
Radiohead: Pink Floyd's early work has been mentioned. Check out the Moody Blues - On the Threshold of a Dream
Depeche Mode: Eric Burden and the Animals. Start with "The Best of", their early stuff is more singles-oriented, and their best track, "We Gotta Get Out of This Place", was not on a studio album.
Fleetwood Mac: Their musical grandparents are The Mamas & the Papas, best album: If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears

Whilst some of these make some sort of sense (albeit not very much), my reaction to pretty much this whole list:

paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 11/06/2013 17:07
  • Post subject:
i found this album a pleasant surprise as i was scouring the 60s earlier this year:

Odessey And Oracle by The Zombies

sounded to me like it could've been recorded in the last 10 years.
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 11/06/2013 22:40
  • Post subject:
Here are my recs: http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart....amp;page=1 My 60's chart. I love Jefferson Airplane!
latenighttv

• Posted: 11/07/2013 10:00
  • Post subject:
Thanks to all for the recs and other excellent info.

I noticed a few albums / artists were recommended or referenced by more than one person, so a playlist I seem to have settled on for the next while is :

The Zombies – 'Odessey And Oracle'
The Monks – 'Black Monk Time'
The Moody Blues – 'Days of Future Passed'
Love – 'Forever Changes'
Peter, Paul and Mary (Self-titled)
The Mamas And The Papas – 'If You Can . . .'
The Beatles – 'Abbey Road'
Jefferson Airplane – As much as I can handle (these guys seem to be my new favourite band)

Also adding :
Dr. Strangely Strange – 'Kip of the Serenes' (Have played this a couple of times before, and a few BEA members seem to rate it fairly well)

Last edited by latenighttv on 11/07/2013 11:25; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
latenighttv

• Posted: 11/07/2013 10:04
  • Post subject:
Just to tie up a loose end or two, I think I should maybe mention that I have a good many 1960s 'best-ofs', by groups such as The Doors, The Hollies, The Kinks, The Rolling Stones, The Walker Brothers and The Beach Boys. All perfectly fine best-ofs, I think, but for some strange reason, I never became a genuine fan of any of these groups (at least, not enough to want to check out their studio albums). I also heard a lot of Bob Dylan's albums passively / subconsciously before through housemates / roommates, but 'Blood On The Tracks' was the only one that seemed to really click for me personally (at least at that particular time).

So anyway, more than enough albums to check out in next few weeks, I think. Smile
  • Visit poster's website
Evandar

• Posted: 11/07/2013 14:05
  • Post subject:
ihh2013 wrote:
Just to tie up a loose end or two, I think I should maybe mention that I have a good many 1960s 'best-ofs', by groups such as The Doors, The Hollies, The Kinks, The Rolling Stones, The Walker Brothers and The Beach Boys. All perfectly fine best-ofs, I think, but for some strange reason, I never became a genuine fan of any of these groups (at least, not enough to want to check out their studio albums). I also heard a lot of Bob Dylan's albums passively / subconsciously before through housemates / roommates, but 'Blood On The Tracks' was the only one that seemed to really click for me personally (at least at that particular time).

So anyway, more than enough albums to check out in next few weeks, I think. Smile

You should still give The Kinks - Village Green Preservation Society a try, it's one of the best albums of the 60s and is most likely not well-represented on the average Kinks best-of. Otherwise, I agree with The Zombies, they're brilliant.
  • Visit poster's website