What our children's children will still listen to?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 07/28/2011 18:51
  • Post subject:
Polythene Pam wrote:
bcaie16 wrote:
I think Kurt is going to make a comeback. You know, once Dave gets out of the Foo Fighters.

And off the mic Laughing Laughing

He is like the Phil Collins of Nirvana

True, except Phil Collins has more talent

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 07/28/2011 18:57
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
Polythene Pam wrote:
bcaie16 wrote:
I think Kurt is going to make a comeback. You know, once Dave gets out of the Foo Fighters.

Eh I don't know I like both bands (Genesis more) It's the front men that make it though, I never thought the drumming was anything spectacular, by either of them. their sing/songwriting leaves at lot to be desired though
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 07/28/2011 23:39
  • Post subject:
Polythene Pam wrote:
GARY wrote:
Polythene Pam wrote:
bcaie16 wrote:

Eh I don't know I like both bands (Genesis more) It's the front men that make it though, I never thought the drumming was anything spectacular, by either of them. their sing/songwriting leaves at lot to be desired though

Damn Pam you must be in the front of the let's tell GARY he's wrong about everything bus.

Hey, maybe you will soon drive it Exclamation

• Visit poster's website
Juan Schwartz

United States

• Posted: 07/28/2011 23:54
  • Post subject:
Polythene Pam wrote:
GARY wrote:
Polythene Pam wrote:
bcaie16 wrote:

just out of curiosity, who are some of your favorite drummers?
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 07/29/2011 00:16
  • Post subject:
Juan Schwartz wrote:
Polythene Pam wrote:
GARY wrote:
Polythene Pam wrote:
bcaie16 wrote:

You are probably asking Pam but I just want to back up what I said about Phil Collins being more talented IMO. I play drums and have Phil Collins at #8 on my favorite drummer's list Very Happy

(1)Keith Moon - The Who - My personal favorite and the reason that I started playing drums.A pecular,preposterous and brilliant drummer.A clever and hilarious man that thoroughly loved being in the Who.One that hid his inner torment and put on a big smile so that the show could go on. - (Won't Get Fooled Again,I Can't Explain,Bargain,Cobwebs And Strange,Happy Jack And Love Rain O'er Me are good examples of his style.

(2)John Bonham - Led Zeppelin - He played with incredible power and had a massive drum sound. - (When The Levee Breaks,Achilles Last Stand,Moby Dick,Your Time Is Gonna Come,Ten Years Gone and Fool In The Rain are representative of his greatness.

(3)Terry Bozzio - Has played drums for Frank Zappa,Missing Persons,Jeff Beck,Steve Vai,Stevie Ray Vaughan,Gary Wright,Herbie Hancock,Don Dokken,Duran Duran,Billy Sheehan and others.He also filled in for David Silveria on tour and for a Korn album when he was 56 years old.His resume speaks for itself.He also uses the most voluminous drum set I've ever seen.To gauge his expertise on drums one only need experience his work on songs like - (The Black Page-Frank Zappa,Sling Shot-Jeff Beck,I Will Protect You-Korn or listen to his contributions to Missing Persons of which he wrote lyrics,did backing vocals and of course was the drummer.3 good songs from them are Destination Unknown,Mental Hopscotch and Words.

(4)Neil Peart - Rush - The preeminent drummer from Canada.An elaborate drummer who does unbelievable solo's.The fine tuned engine of Rush who also writes their lyrics. -(XYZ,By-Tor And The Snow Dog,2112 Overature/Temples Of Syrinx,La Villa Strangiato,Tom SawyerRed Sector A and Subdivisions just to name a few.His latest drum set has all of it's hardware plated in gold.

(5)Stewert Copeland - The Police - Maestro of the syncopated beat.Brought a jazz and reggae influence to the Police making them more interesting than they would have been without him.Although being in a 3 piece band he never overplayed and at times just went with a high hat and bass drum.I give him extra credit for putting up with Sting. - (Reggatta De Blanc,Peanuts,One World Not Three,Murder By Numbers and The Other Way Of Stopping.

(6)Nicko McBrain - Iron Maiden,Pat Travers - The madman blasting away on the drums for Iron Maiden.Does more with one bass drum than most can do with two of them. - (Where Eagles Dare,The Duellists,Ghost Of The Navigator,The Trooper and Flight Of Icarus.

(7)Roger Taylor - Queen - Great drummer who achieves awesome sound from his percussion.

(8)Phill Collins - Genesis,Phil Collins solo,Robrt Plant,Eric Clapton and others.There are many people who think of Phill Collins as a ballad singing washed up old dude.I will always think of him as a superlative drummer with enthralling drum fills.Sadly he can't play drums anymore do to a spine injury.But listen to any of the realy Genesis albums from the 70's and some of his songs from the 80's like I Don'y Care Anymore,In The Air Tonight,Mama,Land Of Confusion and his drumming on Robert Plant's Principle Of Moments album and you will see why Phill Collins is in my mind A drummer.And a very good one.

(9)Tommy Lee - Motley Crue - I know I know,he's not the most technically proficient drummers to be sure.And will probably be remembered as much, or more,for his personal life then for his drumming.But the guy is just a good rock and roll drummer with a great feel.His style is lively and fun.What can I say other than who else has played on his drum set in concert high over the crowd spinning in a cage? He is a major reason that I like Motley Crue so much.The proof is in the pudding. - (Red Hot,Live Wire,Wild Side,Knock Em Dead Kid,Kickstart My Heart and Too Fast For Love.

(10)Bill Ward - Black Sabbath
(11)Mick Fleetwood - Fleetwood Mac
(12)Mitch Mitchell - Jimi Hendrix
(13)Danny Carey - Tool
(14)Earl Palmer - Little Richard,BB King,Fats Domino,Frank Sinatra,The Monkees,Elvis Costello,Mamas And The Papas and way to many others to list.
(15)Ginger Baker - Cream,Blind Faith
(16)Bill Bruford - Yes,King Crimson
(17)Louis Bellson - Benny Goodman,Duke Ellington,Jimmy Dorsey,Count Basie and Ella Fitzgerald to name a few.(he was the first drummer to use 2 base drums back in 1944)
(18)Alan White - Yes,John Lennon,George Harrison.
(19)Vinnie Appice - Black Sabbath,Dio,Rick Derringer
(20)Jeff Porcaro - Toto,Eric Clapton,Michael Jackson,Bruce Springsteen,Elton John,Steely Dan,David Gilmour,Warren Zevon,Don Henley,Hall and Oats and 10cc.

• Visit poster's website
Juan Schwartz

United States

• Posted: 07/29/2011 00:21
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
Juan Schwartz wrote:
Polythene Pam wrote:
GARY wrote:
Polythene Pam wrote:
bcaie16 wrote:

You are probably asking Pam but I just want to back up what I said about Phil Collins being more talented IMO. I play drums and have Phil Collins at #8 on my favorite drummer's list Very Happy

yeah I was. it just confused me. if she doesn't think dave or phil are good, she must have pretty big standards y'know? i mean who else is there (besides the people on your list Wink )? btw thanks a lot for writing that up! Smile
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 07/29/2011 00:25
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:

(4)Neil Peart - Rush

My grandfather was his drum teacher for a couple years Very Happy
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 07/29/2011 00:29
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
GARY wrote:

(4)Neil Peart - Rush

WOW Exclamation

Do you play drums Hayden? Man I would have been over by Grandfathers every day learning how to play Very Happy

• Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 07/29/2011 00:53
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
Hayden wrote:
GARY wrote:

(4)Neil Peart - Rush

WOW Exclamation

Do you play drums Hayden? Man I would have been over by Grandfathers every day learning how to play Very Happy

Ya, Smile I can play drums, not to a professional extent, but I can carry out the average beat well. My grandfather passed when I was 2, so I never really got to learn from him, but if you've ever heard of the bands Glass Tiger (Michael Hanson, not the new one) and Platinum Blonde (both were pretty much only known in Canada though), he also taught the drummers of those two bands around the same period of time. I would probably continue more seriously in drums, but some I was inspired by a few people to take up Alto. Sax, and I've done a few local concerts (well, 3) playing sax. In one arrangement we playing The Logical Song by Supertramp, which has a kick-ass sax solo, and then the guitarist played the same solo on guitar right after, and it sounded amazing. Wish I had a recording of that Brick wall Really bad Crying or Very sad .

But ya, short summary of my life in music Laughing . I can also play a bit of guitar, but nothing 'great'. And I can't sing worth shit d'oh!
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 07/29/2011 01:01
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
GARY wrote:
Hayden wrote:
GARY wrote:

(4)Neil Peart - Rush

WOW Exclamation

Ya, Smile I can play drums, not to a professional extent, but I can carry out the average beat well. My grandfather passed when I was 2, so I never really got to learn from him, but if you've ever heard of the bands Glass Tiger (Michael Hanson, not the new one) and Platinum Blonde (both were pretty much only known in Canada though), he also taught the drummers of those two bands around the same period of time. I would probably continue more seriously in drums, but some I was inspired by a few people to take up Alto. Sax, and I've done a few local concerts (well, 3) playing sax. In one arrangement we playing The Logical Song by Supertramp, which has a kick-ass sax solo, and then the guitarist played the same solo on guitar right after, and it sounded amazing. Wish I had a recording of that Brick wall Really bad Crying or Very sad .

But ya, short summary of my life in music Laughing . I can also play a bit of guitar, but nothing 'great'. And I can't sing worth shit d'oh!

Well, there is no way you sing as badly as I do. I'm awful. I just might be the worst singer of all time Laughing

Ya, see if you can get a hold of a recording of doing Logical Song. That is a killer solo. Thanks for reminding me. I am about to add 50 more albums to my chart and I plan on adding Supertramp. My brother is friends with the guy who played bass for them back in the day.

One of the first albums I ever purchased was Breakfast In America by Supertramp Very Happy

I like this 2010 version of the Logical Song it's just Roger Hodgson and a sax player

Link

• Visit poster's website