Best Year In Music - Tournament: RULES & QUESTIONS

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Wombi

• Posted: 08/06/2012 00:20
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
I think the rules drawn up make for good fun and addresses the problem of the year of ...Baby One More Time (or any other more likely album) to waltz through the tournament. Good and innovative thinking Jherry.

Only problem is that does indeed make it a tad complicated and hard to work, which poses a definite risk that it will all fall flat instead. There is also the issue that for it to work properly you'd have to get the lineups in advance of each single match, otherwise there'd just be a post saying "1982 vs 2007" and the actual teams would not be posted until at any time further down the thread. Which also means it should be easy for someone else to take over should the need arise.

I shall return here if I have any solutions rather than just opinions.

Cheers bork but yeah that's exactly what I envision happening. I'll basically be opening blank threads Razz and then once both sides have promoted I'll open the poll for voting.

Borve Baunehoj wrote:
Also are compilations allowed? Buzzcocks' Singles Going Steady would a great album to have for my 1979, but many of its songs are singles from 1977 and 1978.

I understand the temptation especially with the example you gave but it would completely defeat the purpose as it isn't merely reprasentative of that year (as you yourself point out). Hopefully whoever has '77 '78 remembers your question and chucks in a Buzzcocks single Smile which reminds me I might open a 'requests' thread perhaps so people can request stuff from the captains of a particular year..maybe...maybe in round 2.

purple wrote:
caveat: Wikipedia often does not contain all the singles of a group unless they are a major pop act. e.g. Talk Talk's Give It Up is a single (have the poster for its release in my room) but does not register on Wikipedia; e.g. LCD Soundsystem's All I Want does not register on Wikipedia. We're going to have to kind of have faith in people's personal knowledge if we don't think they've presented a single. Thankfully, most best of lists only use singles.

Yeah sorry didn't mean to imply Wikipedia was the be all end all. As long as you can show it from somewhere. Most singles have cover art (though I know there are a few exceptions) so most of the time that's an easy way of knowing immediately that it is a single. And like Borve I can't find any evidence that All I Want is actually a single (it was a fairly popular song in relation to the album but I don't think it was ever actually a single)
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 08/06/2012 06:22
  • Post subject:
What about EPs? If we decide to use them, do they fall under the "albums" or "singles"?
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 08/06/2012 08:11
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
What about EPs? If we decide to use them, do they fall under the "albums" or "singles"?

Good idea. I think they would be in albums.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 08/06/2012 14:28
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:

Good point. Definitely under albums. There are cases of EP's built round singles and in that case you choose. But if you choose single then obviously just that specific song would count.

• Posted: 08/06/2012 14:43
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
Good point. Definitely under albums. There are cases of EP's built round singles and in that case you choose. But if you choose single then obviously just that specific song would count.

What about double A-sides? Do you have to pick just one of them?
Wombi

• Posted: 08/06/2012 14:58
  • Post subject:
Yep.
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark

• Posted: 08/06/2012 18:14
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
I understand the temptation especially with the example you gave but it would completely defeat the purpose as it isn't merely reprasentative of that year (as you yourself point out). Hopefully whoever has '77 '78 remembers your question and chucks in a Buzzcocks single Smile which reminds me I might open a 'requests' thread perhaps so people can request stuff from the captains of a particular year..maybe...maybe in round 2.

Yeah, thanks for the advice.. Buzzcocks only released one single in 1977! Neutral
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 08/07/2012 09:28
  • Post subject:
How many years are you hoping for?

Are we able to nominate another (if we dare?)?
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 08/07/2012 11:21
  • Post subject:
harkan wrote:
How many years are you hoping for?

Are we able to nominate another (if we dare?)?

Thanks for the reminder...I was originally going for 50 but I don't think it's fair for anyone to have say 1961 or or any year like that (I mean there are a handful of albums we all like from those years but not enough to compete) So I think 45 should be a good number. We have 29 nominations at the moment (thanks to everyone so far) so 16 left to pick and yeah, I'll open up the second round of nominations in a bit. And like you say it certainly is "if we dare" it may or may not be a bit of work doing 1 alone.

Okay couple more complications that needed to be sorted out that I need help from the brains trust for:

a) Since people won't know what albums their opponent will be challenging with - I think there's a dnager in people trying to out wait each other to see the opposing albums before they post theirs (it is an obvious tactical advantage. To overcome this my thought at the moment is to do a 'home and away' type scenario whereby when you're the home team you post second and the away posts first. Thoughts other ideas?

b) Album re-releases. The obvious example (and most likely conflict) is Clash UK and US. One released in 77 the other in 79 (there are other cases e.g. Metal Box/Second Edition). I think there has to be an absolute rule so the question is yes or no? My personal preference at the moment is to say no and only the original releases should count but I'm open to persuasion.

c) Soundtracks. Apple mentioned the Eternal Sunshine OST when making his nomination of 2004. It happens to be one of my favourite film scores but, this opens the flood gates like crazy - and not, to my mind, in a good way. I think it may also have the disadvantage oof people taking their love for the actual film in question under consideration when voting. I'm pretty certain that I'm not gonna allow film score soundtracks. On the other hand we have film songtracks which allows for stuff like "Purple Rain" . But again there are complications when we go into stuff like "Saturday Night Fever" or "The Harder They Come" which are essentially compilations (and from Various Artists ass well). So I think the rule should be "When a film's soundtrack completely consists of original songs specifically written for the film (i.e. not an earlier broadway version like most musicals) and written and performed by the same artist then it is allowed" is everyone ookay with that? It would also mean that whoever has '67 could use the first half of Magical Mystery Tour but not the second.

thanks gang

Last edited by Wombi on 10/25/2012 11:37; edited 1 time in total
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 08/07/2012 11:52
  • Post subject:
Not sure if this is a dumb question but: how do we promote albums without linking songs? Just post an image of the album cover and let everyone find and listen to the songs, including the forbidden singles from the album?
  • Visit poster's website