Album of the day (#929): The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 06/04/2013 04:28
  • Post subject:
I like some of these songs but overall it's slightly uneven. Still one of Bowie's best albums right behind the first two Berlin albums.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
kramerfan86

United States

• Posted: 06/04/2013 05:03
  • Post subject:
To me its the strongest of one of the stronger if not the strongest discographies in music. Ive steadily grown to like Bowie more and more over time and this was the album that started it for me.
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/04/2013 11:33
  • Post subject:
Love it, second only to Station To Station I reckon.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 06/04/2013 12:11
  • Post subject:
yourself wrote:
Well, musically its mostly basic stuff, and it can be kinda silly/cheesy at times. Hairymarx1 has similar views to Scaruffi, and Scaruffi's attitude is that Bowie's choice of aesthetic on any given album is cynical trend hopping rather than honest personal expression. I'm not certain that sort of authenticity should matter or not, or if it can truly be determined.

I assumed that much. It'd be a sad world if we only liked those who are truly original. What's funny is the exact same thing could basically be said about Zappa which I'm pretty sure Scaruffi loves.
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 06/04/2013 12:18
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
the exact same thing could basically be said about Zappa

• Visit poster's website

• Posted: 06/04/2013 12:46
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
I assumed that much. It'd be a sad world if we only liked those who are truly original. What's funny is the exact same thing could basically be said about Zappa which I'm pretty sure Scaruffi loves.

I checked Scaruffi's ratings for Bowie albums and he gives "Heroes" higher rating and I'm with him on that. "Heroes" is much superior to anything else Bowie has done. Well done Scaruffi. But then I decided to look up his ratings of some other bands and he's given 6.5 to both Pablo Honey and Kid A! And he's given In Rainbows 5!?? What an idiot. How can one compare Pablo Honey (a bad U2-Nirvana-Pixies ripoff) with Kid A and give them the same rating?
Happymeal

• Posted: 06/04/2013 13:10
  • Post subject:
tekin wrote:
I checked Scaruffi's ratings for Bowie albums and he gives "Heroes" higher rating and I'm with him on that. "Heroes" is much superior to anything else Bowie has done. Well done Scaruffi. But then I decided to look up his ratings of some other bands and he's given 6.5 to both Pablo Honey and Kid A! And he's given In Rainbows 5!?? What an idiot. How can one compare Pablo Honey (a bad U2-Nirvana-Pixies ripoff) with Kid A and give them the same rating?

Because Pablo honey is far better than Kid A. Objectively speaking that is.

EDIT:Also, as far as the AOTD, it's pretty good. Used to be on my chart, love it.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 06/04/2013 14:00
  • Post subject:
tekin wrote:

Well Scaruffi is a foolish critic. I love many albums he cherishes, but find him to be quite limited in range.

Taste is personal.
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 06/04/2013 14:05
  • Post subject:
tekin wrote:

I agree with Scaruffi on quite a few of his Bowie ratings too, but I agree with you that Pablo Honey being rated 6.5 is ridiculous. It doesn't even seem like the kind of album he would rate that high, I would have guessed it as being 5.5 or less. Kid A should also be at least 7 and Hail to the Thief should be at least 5.5. I do agree with just about every other rating though, including the In Rainbows one.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
yourself

• Posted: 06/04/2013 14:23
  • Post subject:
tekin wrote:

its called having an opinion isn't it? He tends to get pissed at pseudo-experimental pop albums which regular critics (even worse than scaruffi) think are revolutionary. He takes it out on the albums as much as the critics.

ps: In Rainbows does deserve a 5. Actually worse. Radiohead deserve worse scores all around.

Back to david Bowie, Low and Ziggy Stardust are the only two Bowie album's I really enjoy all the way through. And even Ziggy Stardust itself is kind of cheesy as a whole. Some albums are okay, others are pretty much unlistenable to me.