mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 06/14/2013 15:46
  • Post subject:
Picked up today:
-The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides
-Solaris by Stanislaw Lem
-and another non-fiction philosophical book I need to read for one of the exams

Also have to read (and review) The Net Delusion: The Dark Side of Internet Freedom by Evgeniy Morozov (also non-fiction)
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 06/14/2013 15:58
  • Post subject:
I read sorta like that little boy in Magnolia: I lay all these books down, and jump between them.

My Recent Obsessions:
*The Melancholy of Resistance (Laszlo Krasznahorka)
*A Confederacy of Dunces (John Kennedy Toole)
*Gravity's Rainbow (Thomas Pynchon)
*On Hero Worship (Thomas Carlyle)
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 06/14/2013 16:15
  • Post subject:
Defago wrote:
It's on Spanish, and I'm too lazy to look for the original, that's why I left it at "a book" Smile . Roughly it translates to Existentialism is a Humanism.

Yeah that's the actual title. I've read it and as a very simple introduction to existentialism it does wonders. But the reason I asked was that to see if it's one of Sartre's novels and plays or one of his philosophical books, because if it was a novel I would've suggested to you to not waste your time because Sartre is a horrible writer(both as a novelist and a philosopher and while it doesn't matter that much when you write philosophy, a good writing is essential for a novelist). But that book is great; I don't know of any other 20th century philosopher that had the courage to write such a simple book and exhibit his/her thoughts in such a naked fashion.
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 06/14/2013 16:17
  • Post subject:
tekin wrote:
Yeah that's the actual title. I've read it and as a very simple introduction to existentialism it does wonders. But the reason I asked was that to see if it's one of Sartre's novels and plays or one of his philosophical books, because if it was a novel I would've suggested to you to not waste your time because Sartre is a horrible writer(both as a novelist and a philosopher and while it doesn't matter that much when you write philosophy, a good writing is essential for a novelist). But that book is great; I don't know of any other 20th century philosopher that had the courage to write such a simple book and exhibit his/her thoughts in such a naked fashion.

I haven't read anything by him besides No Exit, so I didn't know that. Any other recommendations by him?
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 06/14/2013 17:06
  • Post subject:
Defago wrote:
I haven't read anything by him besides No Exit, so I didn't know that. Any other recommendations by him?

Well I said he's a horrible writer and it's no different in the case of "Nausea" but that book is so more than just a novel and it's a must-read for everyone who wants to claim anything about one of the most important intellectual viewpoints of 20th century, i.e. existentialism. Apart from that the only other work by Sartre that I can recommend and perhaps contains some of the best writings of Sartre style-wise is "The Condemned of Altona". But anything by Albert Camus is ten times better than anything by Sartre. For example when I first read "The Fall" I was 13 and it was one of the first serious books that I read and for a 13-year-old it was very heavy but that same 13-year-old, after reading the book, thought that he feels so much full of extra-ordinary analysis of the human condition in the 20th century and insights into the deepest aspects of human psyche that he can write like a thousand pages about that 100-page book.
nutso42

• Posted: 06/14/2013 22:13
  • Post subject:
gtroda wrote:
I was in the mood for something different so I started The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. It's one of those classics I've always meant to read but have never gotten around to before.

I just finished writing a 5 song concept EP for one of my bands based on The Grapes of Wrath. I think it'll be turning out pretty well.

But anyway, I'm a huge Steinbeck fan. I plan on reading "The Pastures of Heaven" after I finish Ender's Shadow.
gtroda

• Posted: 06/15/2013 12:11
  • Post subject:
nutso42 wrote:
I just finished writing a 5 song concept EP for one of my bands based on The Grapes of Wrath. I think it'll be turning out pretty well.

But anyway, I'm a huge Steinbeck fan. I plan on reading "The Pastures of Heaven" after I finish Ender's Shadow.

I'm about 50 pages in and enjoying it so far. It definitely seems something that could lend itself to a concept EP that I'd enjoy listening to. You've heard The Ghost of Tom Joad by Bruce Springsteen (later covered by Rage Against the Machine) I presume?
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/15/2013 13:51
  • Post subject:
Ulysses.

I haven't had much time to read it though Think I'm about halfway through Part II.

• Posted: 06/15/2013 19:50
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Ulysses.

I haven't had much time to read it though Think I'm about halfway through Part II.

I just bought that book! I can't wait to start it.

Right now I'm reading Walden by Henry David Thoreau.
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 06/15/2013 20:03
  • Post subject:
This week I'm:
reading The Stranger by Alburt Camus
re-reading The Picture Of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde
still reading The Fault In Our Stars by John Green but having trouble finishing it because it's A REALLY FUCKING BAD BOOK.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website