View previous topic :: View next topic
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 11/08/2016 16:48
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:
corenfro wrote:

I'm not entirely thrilled by Gary Johnson or Jill Stein.

Stein ... accept[s] climate change while fearing gmos despuite (sp) the majority of scientific research and sort of promoting homeopathy comes across more as sort of a very selective scientific point of view rather than protecting the earth through actually promoting real science

I feel bad for ever considering a Stein vote, by the way, after the whole "wi fi causes cancer" thing happened, not to mention saying we need to do more research on vaccines.

In the end, I voted Clinton weeks ago via mail in - hopefully my vote counts this time, my Bernie vote via mail was nulled and I'm still not sure why - and did so without having to swallow a jagged pill or feeling much if any shame. She's not great, but I legitimately prefer her policies to anyone else running, and if she could just say "STOP FRACKING" I would probably have never hesitated in the first place.

More importantly than the presidential race, here's to hoping BEAers are voting in other local races at the very least, lots of interesting measures/propositions/questions this year and the senate is still projected at the moment to be a dead 50/50 tie

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/08/2016 16:58
  • Post subject:
Best of luck. Hoping everything goes smoothly...

Rooting for Clinton of course.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 11/08/2016 17:04
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:

I feel bad for ever considering a Stein vote, by the way, after the whole "wi fi causes cancer" thing happened, not to mention saying we need to do more research on vaccines.

Don't feel bad. I think both those things were blown out of proportion to smear Stein. It's not without reason to question the effects of vaccines, considering how the drug industry has screwed us over in our history. Unfortunately I think Stein's decision to question got her thrown into the crowd ho simply believe things like that vaccines cause Autism. If I was in a guaranteed blue state I would have likely voted for her.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/08/2016 17:08
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
If I was in a guaranteed blue state I would have likely voted for her.

I think this is the silliest part of the entire process. I might be misinformed, but isn't the final decision basically only depending on how Ohio, Nevada and Florida swing?
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 11/08/2016 17:16
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
I think this is the silliest part of the entire process. I might be misinformed, but isn't the final decision basically only depending on how Ohio, Nevada and Florida swing?

Hard to say. According to Real Clear Politics, there are more way more than 3 swing states.
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco

United States

• Posted: 11/08/2016 17:24
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
benpaco wrote:

Don't feel bad. I think both those things were blown out of proportion to smear Stein. It's not without reason to question the effects of vaccines, considering how the drug industry has screwed us over in our history. Unfortunately I think Stein's decision to question got her thrown into the crowd ho simply believe things like that vaccines cause Autism. If I was in a guaranteed blue state I would have likely voted for her.

At the same time, though, I vote primarily based on science. As someone going down a career path that's probably going to lead either to conservation biology or public education (or both), those are the two most major issues on any ballot for me. The biggest issue I have with Clinton isn't charisma or TTP or flip flopping or emails, it's fracking. I've abstained from local races when one candidate was against GMOs and vaccines and the other didn't believe in climate change. Hell, I voted Mike Beitikis for Senate, a guy whose whole campaign was "I will not do nothing" about climate change. That's really the leading factor for me in an election, and while Stein supports a number of things outside of her scientific views that I agree with (more affordable college, for example) and even within her scientific views, things I agree with (climate change is BAD), I can't justify voting for anyone who has said that much that's just wrong.

Again, I know that's sort of hypocritical because of Hilary's view on fracking, though as I understand it her view is mostly "let's not ban it but let's stop doing it til we get better at it" and that's ... better? Not really ...

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco

United States

• Posted: 11/08/2016 17:29
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

According to FiveThirtyEight's projections, the following are states that could go one way or another this year (aka within the margin of polling error): Nevada, North Carolina, Florida, Maine (2nd), Nebraska (2nd), Ohio, Arizona, and Iowa. The most likely state to tip the election in one's favor is Florida, followed by Pennsylvania, Michigan, and North Carolina, each of which have a greater than 10% chance of being *the* tipping point. Virginia, Colorado, Ohio, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, New Hampshire, Georgia, and Iowa all have a greater than 1% chance, as well.

In terms of how much your vote matters, they use a "voter power index" that shows the supposed likelihood that a single voter will determine the electoral college. For that, the most important states are New Mexico, Nevada, New Hampshire, Michigan, and North Carolina. Ohio, Nevada, and Florida are always among the big ones, but especially this year, a lot of states are going to factor more into the electoral process than the average year, from the projections I've seen.

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/08/2016 17:54
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:
According to FiveThirtyEight's projections, the following are states that could go one way or another this year (aka within the margin of polling error): Nevada, North Carolina, Florida, Maine (2nd), Nebraska (2nd), Ohio, Arizona, and Iowa. The most likely state to tip the election in one's favor is Florida, followed by Pennsylvania, Michigan, and North Carolina, each of which have a greater than 10% chance of being *the* tipping point. Virginia, Colorado, Ohio, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, New Hampshire, Georgia, and Iowa all have a greater than 1% chance, as well.

In terms of how much your vote matters, they use a "voter power index" that shows the supposed likelihood that a single voter will determine the electoral college. For that, the most important states are New Mexico, Nevada, New Hampshire, Michigan, and North Carolina. Ohio, Nevada, and Florida are always among the big ones, but especially this year, a lot of states are going to factor more into the electoral process than the average year, from the projections I've seen.

Ah, ok Smile Thanks Ben.

You'd be surprised on how many people in Canada are talking about it... I'm in a border city, but I've seen a handful of lawn signs for both candidates. Most of my prof's are American as well, so they've been talking about it at least once a class Laughing

Anyway... still hoping for the best Anxious I think there's a good amount of confidence that Clinton will win, but I still think it's up in the air.
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 11/08/2016 18:39
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Anyway... still hoping for the best Anxious I think there's a good amount of confidence that Clinton will win, but I still think it's up in the air.

it all comes down to florida, and if people show up to vote, i think it's a pretty easy victory for clinton. i would honestly be very surprised if trump upsets this.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 11/08/2016 18:41
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:

One of the rare moments New Mexico is referred to as an important state.
  • Visit poster's website