The Listening Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
CubaZed

• Posted: 09/12/2014 21:18
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
but in some ways I view OK Computer as the culmination of angst-ridden alt rock, despite sounding very little like any alt rock that was made before or since.

I kind of have to agree. It's not very alt-rock in instrumentation but in theme and lyricism it's very much like an alt-rock album.
JMan

• Posted: 09/12/2014 21:19
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
I've listened to OK Computer a billion times and have no idea what you're talking about. Overproduced? The production of this album is incredible. And nothing sounds drowned out by reverb. It's not shoegaze.

It does for me. The overproduction is great, but sometimes the album seems overdone. I forgot which track it starts on, though. It's just a certain quality I don't like about it, and overproduced is the best word I have for it.
NowhereMan

United Kingdom

• Post subject:
No Surprises, wow, what a pretty song. Always been one of my more favoured off this album.

#1-#100 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=3641

#101-#200 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=49444

Check Me Out! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Post subject:
We're doing Dark Side of the Moon probably some time tomorrow, if you have any of us (me, Precedent, CubaZed, alelsupreme) on Skype just PM us and we'll add you to the Listening Project group where the conversation goes on for that album and if you don't have any of us on Skype, you can PM us on BEA with your Skype names. Obviously, conversation can go on here, but if you're interested in instant messaging, hit me up.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 09/12/2014 21:25
  • Post subject:
SuedeSwede wrote:
We're doing Dark Side of the Moon probably some time tomorrow, if you have any of us (me, Precedent, CubaZed, alelsupreme) on Skype just PM us and we'll add you to the Listening Project group where the conversation goes on for that album and if you don't have any of us on Skype, you can PM us on BEA with your Skype names. Obviously, conversation can go on here, but if you're interested in instant messaging, hit me up.

It would be great if you could let us know ahead of time (like a day or at least a few hours) in this thread when you're going to start listening so that those of us not in the chat can listen along. I may join the chat as well, I don't know yet what I'll be doing tomorrow.

Either way, though, I'm a big fan of the project. Cheers guys!
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/12/2014 21:38
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
It would be great if you could let us know ahead of time (like a day or at least a few hours) in this thread when you're going to start listening so that those of us not in the chat can listen along. I may join the chat as well, I don't know yet what I'll be doing tomorrow.

Either way, though, I'm a big fan of the project. Cheers guys!

We didn't know what day we were going to start this and now that we've got this off to a start we're going to try and get a steady schedule of 1 per day and maybe more if so inclined, and we'll be following the RYM top 1000, so tomorrow will be Dark Side of the Moon, and if not notified otherwise, Sunday will be The Velvet Underground & Nico, etc.

But yeah, it'd be great if others could get interacting with this project. You don't necessarily have to dedicate to the whole RYM top 1000, but just any day you want to join in with the conversation, or maybe find a new discovery just hit me up and I'll add you to the group.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------------------------------

The moroseness in this album is really something perfectly conveyed, the little intricacies are often sublime, little licks often feeling like a wave of realisation as your heart drops, returning to the previous numbness. The production is so beautiful and I love the textures in this, something I'd actually not paid much attention to previously. I prefer this to the last listen of it, which I didn't think I'd be saying.

It's no Kid A for me, but it really is anthem after anthem conveying a whole different emotion that still stays on the same page; Thom Yorke is telling us about the sadness of the world and the world to come, and you're a small part of the picture he's painting.

P.S., Fitter Happier is great. The piano is just so moving.

Last edited by SuedeSwede on 09/12/2014 21:42; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 09/12/2014 22:09
  • Post subject:
Joining late, and the thread's a bit TLDR. Have you considered listening together through these albums via the BEA PlugDJ?
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/12/2014 22:20
  • Post subject:
nicklas wrote:
Joining late, and the thread's a bit TLDR. Have you considered listening together through these albums via the BEA PlugDJ?

A big problem here is the chance that all 1000 are on YouTube is small. And people may have buffering problems with plug.dj or YouTube. It's easier to play it independently.
eyezayzay

United States

• Posted: 09/13/2014 01:30
  • Post subject:
The layers in this thing....it's much better than I initially thought. It's brilliant. So many intelligent transitions in Paranoid Android and yeah Stone is right about the unearthly sounds in Subterranean Homesick Alien. It's so hard to isolate just one sound/instrument but that's totally fine with me, that means that I can give it several listens and get something different each time.
On "Exit Music (For A Film)" at the moment. Oh snap...that god-like chorus effect in the background. O_O
  • Visit poster's website
CameronMB
Musicologist

United States

• Posted: 09/13/2014 01:37
  • Post subject:
All I'll add to this discussion is that I could buy OK Computer as the second-best album of the 1990s (after Odelay) and I really love it for the singles (Karma Police and No Surprises, especially). It really is a modern prog masterpiece and succeeds in ways that most of Radiohead's other albums fall just a little bit short.
  • Visit poster's website