Vampire Weekend dethrones Arcade Fire as Best of 2013

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Precedent
  • Posted: 10/29/2014 22:32
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
The further down the blandest, most unimaginative, and least creative piece of pop music Taylor has ever created the better.

Really? Pretty interesting, granted the second half doesn't live up to the first. It may not be as outgoing as Red, but it's up there.
Borve
  • Posted: 10/29/2014 22:35
  • Post subject:
I am not sure that my interest in this field is like explosive (speaking metaphorically here) but the thread title contains words like "vampire", "dethrone(s)" and "fire", so I've just pondered on how to compose a great metal band name out these words. I haven't figured it out yet
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland
  • Posted: 10/29/2014 22:44
  • Post subject:
Precedent wrote:
Really? Pretty interesting, granted the second half doesn't live up to the first. It may not be as outgoing as Red, but it's up there.

"I really really hate this one with every fiber of my being. Not only is it removing Taylor of her identity and allowing her to make her write the most embarrassing and pathetic lyrics of her career (a challenge I know, even as a fan) it just seems just so... derivative. I don't call many things bad and while it is catchy, at least I can appreciate previous infectious earworms without being so angry such as "Call Me Maybe" and "Problem". This is just so.... bad to the point it transcends how bad it actually is."

That was just a reply in which I linked a review of (Shake It Off) that I agree with for the most part on one song from this record and I was optimistic about this record and Taylor experimenting with her next record but everything that is wrong about “Shake It Off” is only a really grim prologue to the actual record itself. The entire record is absolutely terrible, and to think Taylor views it a good idea to strip herself of her ability to be descriptive and in general her entire identity to adhere to a generic pop market is pretty despicable. There’s nothing to this record because there’s no creative effort in it, it’s all lifeless and manufactured in the worst possible way (and as somebody who loves certain aspects of corporate pop music from the most corporate music markets out there... this is saying a lot).

I hadn’t criticized Taylor Swift for years unlike so many others—but this record it’s justification for everything every cynical critic had said about Swift and it’s depressing to realize it.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki
  • Posted: 10/29/2014 22:51
  • Post subject:
Oh that 'Shake It Off' song is great Smile Very upbeat and makes me so confident in myself. One of my favorite songs of the year and I got the album Tuesday evening. Haven't listened yet.
Precedent
  • Posted: 10/29/2014 23:30
  • Post subject:
Kiki wrote:
Oh that 'Shake It Off' song is great Smile Very upbeat

Pretty much this @Gowi

I find the record to be incredibly fun and that's all that I was really looking for. This is a great direction for her, I can't wait to see what she ends up putting out.
Hayden

Canada
  • Posted: 10/29/2014 23:39
  • Post subject:
I've never listened to a Taylor Swift album. Every single song she's released since her first album just sounds like a country-pop mash-up mess. At least her first album had a handful of true to heart songs with some originality...

Oh, and that song with T-Pain was pretty cool.

But that's all I got.
meruizh

Mexico
  • Posted: 10/29/2014 23:58
  • Post subject:
The new Taylor Swift album is a pop triumph, it's incredibly fun. She leaves her "country" roots behind and delivers a lot of amazing dance tunes. Her lyrics are so stupid I actually like them. But who wants to sing some serious existential lyrics when you can get drunk and yell "We!!! are never ever ever getting back together". I think Taylor Swift is one of the best pop artist out there.

She is the fucking best
HoldenM
To Pedantically Split Infinitives

United States
  • Posted: 10/30/2014 05:44
  • Post subject:
GOOD. Reflektor didn't deserve #1.
denmarkman

United States
  • Posted: 10/30/2014 08:04
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
The further down the blandest, most unimaginative, and least creative piece of pop music Taylor has ever created the better. (Yes, it is that bad.)

Fearless is probably the best collection of songs for Taylor, at any rate, really disappointed how she's been deconstructing everything feasibly interesting about her for awhile now... but I didn't expect her new one to be this (and I hate using buzzwords like this but) generic without any semblance of personality or identity.

Yeah, it was a shame. I like that "Stay Stay Stay" song, though.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland
  • Posted: 10/30/2014 13:03
  • Post subject:
Quote:
This is a great direction for her,

No it isn't for exactly all the reasons I've previous said. I'm not discounting the record has catchy songs (I basically mentioned that first off), I'm discounting the fact that these are not Taylor Swift songs, these are generic dance pop songs formulated to sell and chart. Are they catchy, inane, ridiculous pop songs: of course. But they have no integrity or cohesive regard for Taylor as a lyricist or as a musician. You can like the record but calling it a great direction is asking Taylor to strip away all of her integrity and identity in favor of sounds you like.
  • Visit poster's website