Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 43, 44, 45  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
undefined

• Posted: 08/21/2015 04:57
  • Post subject:
Silver wrote:
Octavio Paz

Love
Which did you pick up? First experience with Paz or ya digging deep?
Silver

• Posted: 08/21/2015 05:23
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
Love
Which did you pick up? First experience with Paz or ya digging deep?

First time I've read him, although he was a character in The Savage Detectives so don't think I haven't already formed opinions on him ( Wink ). I got The Labyrinth of Solitude tough, not sure when I'll get around to it but I'm really interested in it and loved the bits I've read.
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 10/19/2015 02:31
  • Post subject:
Reading Lost Souls by Poppy Z. Brite and Near to the Wild Heart by Clarice Lispector. They're both awesome. And they're both debut novels, I'm just realizing.
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 11/13/2015 04:59
  • Post subject:
Spent a lovely day reading And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. Something new for me, never really tried any mysteries before. I loved it, twas quite the enjoyable ride. Any fans of hers here?
CubaZed

• Posted: 11/13/2015 05:19
  • Post subject:
BrandonMiaow wrote:
Spent a lovely day reading And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. Something new for me, never really tried any mysteries before. I loved it, twas quite the enjoyable ride. Any fans of hers here?

I used to be quite a fan of hers. They're definitely fun day reads. You should check out some of the Poirot novels. Definitely, Murder on the Orient Express and The Murder of Rodger Ackroyd. Also Wasps Nest is probably her best short story.
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 11/13/2015 05:37
  • Post subject:
Thanks, I'll have to check them out. Those two definitely seem to be the consensus on where to go after this one! I hope I became a massive Agatha fan because then I could sweep my local used bookstore for the millions of Agatha Christie books they consistently have in stock, heh.
CubaZed

• Posted: 11/13/2015 05:42
  • Post subject:
I've got a few of the rarer ones if you can't find them like Murder on the Links if you need them! Smile Still though she's one of the most published authors of all time so you shouldn't have too much trouble.
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 12/03/2015 00:30
  • Post subject:
Okay, so after finishing Women & Men over three months on the bus (which included both dozens of hard-ons and more than a few glances from others who may have assumed I was reading erotica), I've immediately developed a new literary obsession. Seeing Norman Mailer's Maidstone (and then speeding through The Executioner's Song in response) has intrigued me about the whole postwar movement of "Great Male Nihilism" that included him, Updike, and Roth. Needless to say, all three of these figures are extremely problematic, and haven't aged particularly well, but it's that phallic datedness that makes me so enamored. Should I dive further into Updike's "published thoughts"? If so, where should I start? Do you think this "American Hustle lit" is going to ever become cool again?

(Towards the End of Time almost sounds like a literary fiction Grown Ups 2. Should I start with that, or go with something a little less ironic?
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 12/03/2015 05:51
  • Post subject:
Finished Perfidia, very good if not quite great Ellroy. Started The Lost Weekend. Seems fitting
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 12/13/2015 00:00
  • Post subject:
Just finished The Savage Detectives after going back and forth between it and some others for the better part of 2 months and it is undoubtedly some of the greatest fiction I've ever read. Onto 2666 after I've gotten over that post-novel haze of staring into space...