17%  [9]
Total Votes : 51

sheep21

Australia

• Posted: 04/11/2013 10:52
  • Post subject:
Cymro2011 wrote:
since when did people on BEA hate Jet?

Since always. My chart has been rated down from some people just for having Jet, there have been a few people on this thread saying Jet is one of the worst bands ever, a few weeks ago someone said Jet was the worst band ever and made them puke. I've never understood the hate for them.
Cymro2011
The Beatles were objectively average

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/11/2013 10:55
  • Post subject:
sheep21 wrote:
Since always. My chart has been rated down from some people just for having Jet, there have been a few people on this thread saying Jet is one of the worst bands ever, a few weeks ago someone said Jet was the worst band ever and made them puke. I've never understood the hate for them.

Really? I've listened to some of their songs (never a full album) and I've quite liked them. Nothing amazing IMO opinion but nowhere near as bad as your examples.
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 04/11/2013 11:30
  • Post subject:
sheep21 wrote:

I got disillusioned by Jet quickly. Overplayed. I can see the merit of the band but overexposure can be a bad thing at times.
  • Visit poster's website
Cymro2011
The Beatles were objectively average

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/11/2013 11:34
  • Post subject:
harkan wrote:
I got disillusioned by Jet quickly. Overplayed. I can see the merit of the band but overexposure can be a bad thing at times.

The first time i heard jet was from an Apple advert so there's probably a lot of truth to this.
  • Visit poster's website
Johnnyo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/11/2013 11:38
  • Post subject:
Sorry to all my Aussuie mates but it has to be Canada. Neil Young & Joni Mitchell alone (but of course there are a lot more great Canadian artists) make then the winner.
  • Visit poster's website
sheep21

Australia

• Posted: 04/11/2013 11:39
  • Post subject:
harkan wrote:

True, but luckily for me Jet has hardly been played on triple j since I started listening a few years ago so for me I haven't been overexposed to it, except for Are You Gonna Be My Girl.
purple

• Posted: 04/11/2013 13:30
  • Post subject:
Went with 'Straya, mate

EDIT: I don't think anyone else from either nation tops Neil Young, and Canada has a slightly greater quantity of albums that I enjoy, but ultimately Australia has produced several artists that I am more obsessed with than Canadian artists, I think.
Evandar

• Posted: 04/11/2013 14:04
  • Post subject:
There's not much I like from either country, but I voted Canada because of Neil Young and Arcade Fire. Smile
  • Visit poster's website
Robert Anton Wilson
Epic Proghead

Canada

• Posted: 04/11/2013 15:38
  • Post subject:
harkan wrote:
Music from Australia, South Africa, South America or New Zealand never get as much airplay or recognition as those in the Northern Hemisphere. It is about where we lie.

I do not agree with this, I think great music stands on its own. If you are talking about non-English language music then yes but as long as you stay within English language music I think whether it comes from Canada, the UK, Australia or South Africa the main factor is the quality of the music not its origins.

As for Indie music, all indie music has a challenge being heard, that is what being indie is. Maybe Canadian indie bands from being closer to the big US market but they also end up drowned int he biggest indie band market and have to compete with so much more competition so in the end the only reasons a band raises to the top is either good music or good luck.

In the case of the Avalanches, they are rated lower than Arcade Fire, Neil Young and Rush because they are less interesting musically (to me of course). The again when you think of it, being rated around 200 out of the millions of bands that ever recorded is still not a bad feat when you look at it big picture.

harkan wrote:
Wow, support for down under is hugely limited. And I feel kind of saddened by this.

Australia has talent out there. Some would disagree with this; at the moment 23-4.

The result of this poll does not mean people do not think Australia has talent, it just means people prefer Canadian music overall. One way of seeing this poll could be that "finishing second is being first among losers" but another way of seeing it is just that people prefer Canada to Australia 23-4 but it does not mean that the 23 who voted Canada do not like Australia.

harkan wrote:
I will tone down my attitude towards Australian music, since that's what seems to be the consensus here.

Please, please do not!!! Do NOT tone down your attitude towards Australian music, most people are here on BEA to discover. The fact that Australia lags behind is actually a reason for you to be even more vocal about the quality of Australian music not to tone it down. It just is that when we pin musical preferences against one another one, some preference has to end up on top - it does not mean anything which is not on top is not liked.

Nobody truly benefits from a VS match but every benefits from a "Here's good music from here you didn't know ..."

Why can's we all be friends and all get along to the sound of Tom Sawyer dancing to the Frontier Psychiatrist video while drinking Chilean wine on some Asian pagoda ... why?!?!?!?!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 04/11/2013 17:14
  • Post subject:
Robert Anton Wilson wrote:
Please, please do not!!! Do NOT tone down your attitude

This.

Also,
Quote: