RS 500 thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/26/2013 23:47
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:
I've heard a lot of Genesis on my radio. Mostly from "Invisible Touch." Still, how can any magazine call themselves professionals if they discriminate towards genres? A "professional" rock magazine hating a band for the band is the kind of crap I can't stand in Rolling Stones. Ever hear about the time RS asks the readers how good they felt "Nevermind" was, and the majority of readers said "It's a decent album, but top 10?" RS got pissed and practically yelled at the readers. Or so I've heard. Not sure if this is true, but Nevermind is far too appreciated.

No, I'm talking about the classic era. Although I do like the Phil Collins era, I wouldn't consider it prog. (With the exception of A Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering, of course.)

• Posted: 11/26/2013 23:47
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
Not drunk enough unfortunately, but there's still a long way to go until morning.

Well have fun. XD
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/26/2013 23:48
  • Post subject:
BrandonMeow wrote:
Is Lethal drunk? Laughing

Hopefully, he's not being the nicest right now.
JMan

• Posted: 11/26/2013 23:49
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
Not drunk enough unfortunately, but there's still a long way to go until morning.

How much more do you plan to drink tonight?
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 11/26/2013 23:52
  • Post subject:
The RS 500 was my main resource for new "old" albums before I came to this site. I respect the list because I think it has helped promote the album form in a digital age when music consumption is more often in smaller quanta. That said, it also represents a perspective that is... dated. It's still a useful resource for classic rock, but anything it has to say about music after the '70s I take with a grain of salt.
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/26/2013 23:55
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
The RS 500 was my main resource for new "old" albums before I came to this site. I respect the list because I think it has helped promote the album form in a digital age when music consumption is more often in smaller quanta. That said, it also represents a perspective that is... dated. It's still a useful resource for classic rock, but anything it has to say about music after the '70s I take with a grain of salt.

I'd say that's about right. As I much as I want to hate on the list, I do like the inclusion of the two Band albums in the top 50. Music from Big Pink is one of my favorites.

• Posted: 11/26/2013 23:56
  • Post subject:
genesisfoxtrot21 wrote:
Hopefully, he's not being the nicest right now.

You dismissed the chart and explicitly said you "couldn't take it seriously" because it contained a Lil Wayne album. Besides that being a fucking boring, cliched thing to say, something which has become de rigeur for people across the musical spectrum to pull out of their ass because they think it will bring them effortless agreement from other like-minded idiots who haven't actually given peak-era Wayne the time of the day because his reputation precedes him, it's also no reason not to take a chart seriously. I don't like Rolling Stone magazine, but I understand their desire to show themselves as somewhat more open-minded than they are often given credit for, particularly by choosing an album that they know is going to draw some ire from a large section of its readership. Obviously I can't change your opinion on Tha Carter III, but as far as mainstream rap goes in recent years then it's about as good as it gets. I seriously don't see much difference between the quality of that album and the quality of Kanye's better albums, and I think if it weren't for the baggage that comes with being a "Lil Wayne album" that it would have far more respect. So, y'know, you weren't being very nice, or very fucking original, in criticising an oft criticised album and, by extension, fans of that record, yet you don't like it when somebody gives you a taste of your own bitter, shitty medicine. And, for the record, I'm totally sober.
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/27/2013 00:01
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
You dismissed the chart and explicitly said you "couldn't take it seriously" because it contained a Lil Wayne album. Besides that being a fucking boring, cliched thing to say, something which has become de rigeur for people across the musical spectrum to pull out of their ass because they think it will bring them effortless agreement from other like-minded idiots who haven't actually given peak-era Wayne the time of the day because his reputation precedes him, it's also no reason not to take a chart seriously. I don't like Rolling Stone magazine, but I understand their desire to show themselves as somewhat more open-minded than they are often given credit for, particularly by choosing an album that they know is going to draw some ire from a large section of its readership. Obviously I can't change your opinion on Tha Carter III, but as far as mainstream rap goes in recent years then it's about as good as it gets. I seriously don't see much difference between the quality of that album and the quality of Kanye's better albums, and I think if it weren't for the baggage that comes with being a "Lil Wayne album" that it would have far more respect. So, y'know, you weren't being very nice, or very fucking original, in criticising an oft criticised album and, by extension, fans of that record, yet you don't like it when somebody gives you a taste of your own bitter, shitty medicine. And, for the record, I'm totally sober.

I'm sorry. That was out of place. That wasn't aimed at his reputation though, I legitimately don't like that album.

• Posted: 11/27/2013 00:02
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:
Ever hear about the time RS asks the readers how good they felt "Nevermind" was, and the majority of readers said "It's a decent album, but top 10?" RS got pissed and practically yelled at the readers. Or so I've heard. Not sure if this is true, but Nevermind is far too appreciated.

I doubt this is true. When Nevermind first came out, RS gave it 3 stars. They later amended it to 4 stars when they realized everybody else loved it and only upped it to 5 stars in the past few years, iirc.
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/27/2013 00:04
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
I doubt this is true. When Nevermind first came out, RS gave it 3 stars. They later amended it to 4 stars when they realized everybody else loved it and only upped it to 5 stars in the past few years, iirc.

Another thing I hate about RS. They don't stick with their opinion. If everybody is loving an album they hate, they'll change the rating.