Best Ever Horror Films [List]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
nutso42

• Posted: 11/18/2016 16:00
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Oh.. Anxious I was under the impression that Pre-40's was the popular opinion.

You guys up for the 30's as their own poll then? Razz

Absolutely. Like Street Spirit says, there's such a distinction between 20s and 30s that it'd be akin to making a list of best metal and folk albums.
badseed

United States

• Posted: 11/25/2016 22:19
  • Post subject:
Sorry I keep bringing this post back up. I know most of y'all don't like horror. But yeah I've returned to confirm that The Ring Two is absolute garbage. As I happened to find it ranked #4 on Joblo's least scary horror films thanks to it popping up in my facebook feed for some reason it reminded me that I watched it. In fact I rewatched Ringu, Ringu 2, Ring and Ring 2 for the first time in years. And the latter film was just bad in every way. And I don't usually pay attention to general consensus but in looking at ratings on IMDb, Rotten Tomatoes and Letterboxd, combined with the general brilliance of our previous lists, and I have a hard time believing we really just put that there. There, at #55, best of all the Ring films; higher than the likes of Les Diaboliques and Kwaidan; only ranking behind Evil Dead 2, Dawn of the Dead, Bride of Frankenstein and (ick, maybe I'm looking too deep into this) Saw III as the fifth greatest horror sequel ever made. I feel like if anything perhaps there was maybe a clarity issue with the votes of Ring Two and Ringu 2; Hayden, please tell me you thought they were the same movie. You know when you see a beautiful girl, and she's got all this acne and that's her only problem. Well this list just needs a little acne cream, and Ring Two is so bad I can overlook all the other crappy sequels that made the list. Just swap it out with Zombie or Maniac or Street Trash so when my family comes over for Christmas I can be like "look what I helped do on the internet" and not get mean looks. Of course I'm not serious, but still, shame on you BEA. Haha. I would however really appreciate if someone who voted for it would come out of the shadows and explain what's good about it. If anyone else has questions on why nearly any other movie on this list is good I'll be happy to provide a suitable answer as well.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 11/25/2016 23:40
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
Sorry I keep bringing this post back up.

This is a post is for discussion. Nothing to be sorry about.

badseed wrote:
I know most of y'all don't like horror. But yeah I've returned to confirm that The Ring Two is absolute garbage. As I happened to find it ranked #4 on Joblo's least scary horror films thanks to it popping up in my facebook feed for some reason it reminded me that I watched it. In fact I rewatched Ringu, Ringu 2, Ring and Ring 2 for the first time in years. And the latter film was just bad in every way. And I don't usually pay attention to general consensus but in looking at ratings on IMDb, Rotten Tomatoes and Letterboxd, combined with the general brilliance of our previous lists, and I have a hard time believing we really just put that there. There, at #55, best of all the Ring films; higher than the likes of Les Diaboliques and Kwaidan; only ranking behind Evil Dead 2, Dawn of the Dead, Bride of Frankenstein and (ick, maybe I'm looking too deep into this) Saw III as the fifth greatest horror sequel ever made. I feel like if anything perhaps there was maybe a clarity issue with the votes of Ring Two and Ringu 2; Hayden, please tell me you thought they were the same movie. You know when you see a beautiful girl, and she's got all this acne and that's her only problem. Well this list just needs a little acne cream, and Ring Two is so bad I can overlook all the other crappy sequels that made the list. Just swap it out with Zombie or Maniac or Street Trash so when my family comes over for Christmas I can be like "look what I helped do on the internet" and not get mean looks. Of course I'm not serious, but still, shame on you BEA. Haha. I would however really appreciate if someone who voted for it would come out of the shadows and explain what's good about it. If anyone else has questions on why nearly any other movie on this list is good I'll be happy to provide a suitable answer as well.

I didn't like the first Ring enough to want to watch the second one, and I posted my crappy list so you know it wasn't me. Every list raises an eyebrow at least once. For me, I didn't get how Re-Animator was so low. I also didn't get how Evil Dead was ahead of Evil Dead 2. The second one was so much better. And where was Army of Darkness? Oh right, it isn't a horror film. But in my book, neither is Tremors (#96), Black Swan (#63), nor The Birds (#37) - which [horrifyingly] came in ahead of so many scarier/superior films. I think our list reflects that users have different definitions of horror. But whatever, our collective minds came up with it. Does our list show that we are true horror buffs, or that we misunderstand the genre? I'd guess a mixture of both, but I cannot say because I don't know the genre very well, because I don't like it nearly as much as others. But I will say horror has been growing on me in the past couple years, and I when a see a good one, it's like nothing else.

badseed, like Donald Trump, the people have spoken and The Ring 2 made the list, and we just have to deal with it. But that doesn't mean there won't be another best ever horror films survey in four years where we can vote it out of office.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 11/27/2016 02:14
  • Post subject:
Fair enough. Re-Animator is a popular horror pick; I think it just comes down to the fact that if you're not into horror there's a far better chance you haven't seen it compared to most of the stuff above it. Army of Darkness totally could have been there. It may be action, it may be comedy, but it's horror too. And it was 14 year old badseed's favorite movie ever.

If there's anybody looking to get more into horror I've been working on some IMDb lists for each decade in horror. I think they're pretty comprehensive, albeit biased and of course missing a few noteworthy films I haven't seen. After all the crap I talked about Ring Two it's actually my 92nd favorite horror film of the 21st century, and while I think that list gets weak towards the end, in the grand scheme of things it might actually be in my top 1000. Not sure. I feel like I need to add another 20 at least to the 80s list. That decade was so rad.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur67908982/lists
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 06/25/2017 19:30
  • Post subject:
I recently watched Zombeavers for the first time and I fucking loved it. I was expecting to hate it based on the title. But it was way more of a comedy than a horror and that made a huge difference. I was laughing my ass off most of the time, especially at Bill Burr's cameo performance. Zombeavers was the most fun I've had watching a movie in a long time.

It brought me back to rereading these two threads, the other being: https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...p?t=14950.

This poll and its two threads were good fun. Our heated discussion over what is and isn't a horror film. The heated discussions over Nosferatu (1922) and Scream. badseed getting angry on page 6 of this thread: https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=14950

I forgot about most of this. Good times. Maybe we can do another poll that instigates such discussion, or just bring back the horror poll in October. Get The Ring 2 off this list...and replace it with the masterpiece of ridiculous that is Zombeavers. Horror buffs, I'm ready for your tongue-lashing. Bring it!
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 06/29/2017 05:28
  • Post subject:
I've been a horror fanboy ever since we did this fucking thing. I've joined a horror community on Facebook and purchased well over 200 horror films on DVD and Blu-ray. I noticed there was a new Kendrick Lamar album the other day so I bought that but up until then I've mostly been rocking out to Italian horror soundtracks. I think I'm obsessed but I'm comfortable with that.

I do recall getting mad about the fact that we were obviously gonna have a shady list. I don't know, I guess I was in the wrong. I was just angered that there were practically no real horror fans and we were gonna get a lot of mediocre films. And that we did. There's a lot of stuff, at least 4 or 5, maybe up to 10 movies that anybody who's seen anything from the genre wouldn't give a crap about. I need to go back and look at the individual lists and see if the guys who got The Cremator and Tetsuo on there have anymore good recs.

I doubt Hayden is gonna want to redo the list that soon but I'd love it if he did. We could make it an annual event to the point that we can argue about which year has the best list.

Or perhaps I could get really wicked with it and do a top 666.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 06/29/2017 06:13
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:

Top 5 Movies That Made This List, But Didn't Make Mine (and why)
12. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (very effective for what it is, but what it is, is a fun-free film with annoying protagonists, no interesting camera shots, very little gore, and practically no music; still deserving of its praise and position on this list)
13. Don't Look Now (I kinda put this in the drama thriller category, although it's certainly a very unsettling experience)
17. Eraserhead (surreal, weird, trippy as fuck; it just looks out of place in a list of horror films, even though it's an all time favorite)
24. Shaun of the Dead (I absolutely love this film, and sincerely apologize to it for deciding to taking my list in another direction)
25. The Babadook (pretty creepy movie actually; I agree that it's one of the best of the decade. Only watched it once though and was a tad distracted)

Top 5 Movies That Made My List, But Not This One (and why they should have)
20. Maniac (for Joe Spinell's sick performance)
21. Zombie (for multiple unforgettable looking zombies)
33. Fright Night (for being the coolest vampire movie ever)
36. When a Stranger Calls (for that opening scene)
38. Day of the Dead (for Tom Savini's greatest achievement in gore effects)

It's interesting how much I disagree with myself even here. My list would be way different if done today.

Texas Chainsaw, Don't Look Now and Eraserhead are all very deserving. I was especially harsh on TCM. That shows how the badseed of now would school the badseed of then. I think the reason I didn't rate TCM or The Shining high is because they legitimately scare me. I was a pussy.

Shaun of the Dead is still great, but Babadook is definitely a borderline top 100 film.

When a Stranger Calls might not make my list anymore honestly. I still love it but I don't know. This is gonna sound crazy coming from pretentious old me but those other four are all 10/10s. They definitely belong on here.

*edit* How come this one doesn't have a letterboxd? I just went looking for it so I could show my horror buddies (they just did a top 100 on their podcast and theirs sucked too lol)
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/29/2017 14:46
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:

*edit* How come this one doesn't have a letterboxd? I just went looking for it so I could show my horror buddies (they just did a top 100 on their podcast and theirs sucked too lol)

... Good point... Anxious

I thought I made one, my bad. I'll do that sometime this week.
  • Visit poster's website
jackbrown8786

• Posted: 07/04/2017 10:07
  • Post subject:
Thanks for acknowledging how bad Aliens is compared with Alien.

Poltergeist doesn't break top 80 though? Silence Of The Lambs was like around 70.... That's the best of all time. Shaun Of The Dead is 100% comedy. It's a comedy with zombies. There isn't one scene with the littlest bit of suspense. It's not even trying to be horror. At least Evil Dead has some horror elements. And if cheese is okay, I don't know where Child's Play is, that one's so much fun. The Thing and Freaks are way too low.

The worst horror of all time though is The Exorcist. A little girl walks/talks backwards, cusses, masturbates, and throws up on priests? That's a normal saturday night, f*&^ you, what else does she do? Nothing. It's a terrible bore. Again, f*&^ you. It's the Citizen Kane of horror movies. It's the Nevermind of horror movies. It's the Bud Light of horror movies. I'll never understand why everyone who likes it doesn't also like its s*&^ty sequels, elevating them to the same heights for no legit reason.

Halloween is boring too, the first scene tricked me into thinking the movie was going to be awesome and the soundtrack further convinced me. The following scenes were no better than its sequels though, and I'm talking late sequels. One of the only deaths was the ridiculous knife all the way through the guy, sticking him to the wall, a few inches from the ground. Dumb as hell, as is the idea that the guy's just "evil." Great explanation, a&^holes. The psychiatrist gets so much credit as an actor too when he really just hams it up and this is coming from someone who has ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM WITH WILLIAM SHATNER IN STAR TREK. Halloween 3 was better and had no Michael Myers.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 07/05/2017 05:28
  • Post subject:
jackbrown8786 wrote:
Thanks for acknowledging how bad Aliens is compared with Alien.

Poltergeist doesn't break top 80 though? Silence Of The Lambs was like around 70.... That's the best of all time. Shaun Of The Dead is 100% comedy. It's a comedy with zombies. There isn't one scene with the littlest bit of suspense. It's not even trying to be horror. At least Evil Dead has some horror elements. And if cheese is okay, I don't know where Child's Play is, that one's so much fun. The Thing and Freaks are way too low.

The worst horror of all time though is The Exorcist. A little girl walks/talks backwards, cusses, masturbates, and throws up on priests? That's a normal saturday night, f*&^ you, what else does she do? Nothing. It's a terrible bore. Again, f*&^ you. It's the Citizen Kane of horror movies. It's the Nevermind of horror movies. It's the Bud Light of horror movies. I'll never understand why everyone who likes it doesn't also like its s*&^ty sequels, elevating them to the same heights for no legit reason.

Halloween is boring too, the first scene tricked me into thinking the movie was going to be awesome and the soundtrack further convinced me. The following scenes were no better than its sequels though, and I'm talking late sequels. One of the only deaths was the ridiculous knife all the way through the guy, sticking him to the wall, a few inches from the ground. Dumb as hell, as is the idea that the guy's just "evil." Great explanation, a&^holes. The psychiatrist gets so much credit as an actor too when he really just hams it up and this is coming from someone who has ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM WITH WILLIAM SHATNER IN STAR TREK. Halloween 3 was better and had no Michael Myers.

What did I just read? This is all over the place. The first bit, while mostly incorrect (pretty sure Poltergeist and Silence of the Lambs were way higher, and dismissing a comedy like Shaun of the Dead while calling a suspense drama the best of all time), it seemed sincere enough. I do agree that The Thing and Freaks belong higher. Then it suddenly turned into either drunk rambling or trolling of the highest magnitude.

I wouldn't be shocked about anyone going either way on Alien Vs. Aliens, Exorcist Vs. Exorcist 3, or Halloween Vs. Halloween 3. They're all great to me.
  • Visit poster's website