World Views

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
purple

• Posted: 07/15/2011 03:54
  • Post subject: World Views
this isn't politics or religion, but I thought it would be most appropriate on this forum because those two subjects will definitely intertwine with the subject.

What's your world view? Through what lens do you see things on a day to day basis?

personally, I'm apolitical because I believe people should really only deal with things on the local level and that politics really don't change much over time, and I'm atheist because I believe believing in a god brings me no benefit. This all stems from some form of a nihilistic approach to the world on my part

I can expand on this if this thread goes anywhere. And I'd love to hear other people's lenses on life
Wombi

• Posted: 07/15/2011 04:18
  • Post subject:
wow, big stuff. You do seem like a nihilist Razz I completely agree with you as well on politics not changing much.

this kind of sums my views up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic_existentialism
I don't believe there can be an objective truth....on anything. Music, Religion, Politics, Love or U2 i think something can only be true individually. So I will fight for how I see things individually in all those areas (like Obama ain't that bad or Green Day are that bad) but it always allows me to question as to whether my personal view is as correct as can be. Like scientific theory This alo of course means I'm an agnostic as I think it is impossible to prove that God does or does not exist. And it took me a few years but big questions like the last one don't bother me anymore as to whether they're true or not.
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 07/15/2011 05:35
  • Post subject:
I believe in a GOD who created the universe and sent his only son to die for our sins. And I believe every word in the Bible is true and, though written with human hands, has GOD as the author.

I believe that there was pride in an angel that at one time was the greatest angel in heaven who was called Lucifer and he rebelled against GOD because he wanted to ascend above GOD and receive all worship and not GOD the creator.

I believe that this angel is now called Satan, who, with 1/3 of the other angels, has been competing with GOD for the souls of humans ever since.

I believe all that we do, say, and think about has eternal consequences, be they good or bad.

I believe that when all is said and done it all comes down to what a little ol band from England said 30 years ago.

"The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams"

"It's Heaven and Hell"

And all I got was this silly hat

Last edited by GARY on 07/15/2011 05:38; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 07/15/2011 05:37
  • Post subject:
In short:

- Politics are more important than it's comfortable to think, although not so much in the little questions that ultimately decide elections in our time and age.

- I can't find any meaningful reason to believe in any deity despite having spent many years trying to figure out why it is so appealing to so many people to believe in something bigger than themselves and convince other people that they too must do so. I also think calling yourself an agnostic is a cowardly statement, probably made out of respect for something there is in reality no more reason to respect than any random lunatic with any random statements that have no substance. Although god has not and can not be proven wrong, most of the CLAIMS for his existence have been. It is of course also the only important matter where the burden of proof (or at least the burden of a hint of reasonable possibility) has been reversed and large groups of people consider it legitimate that it has. In any other area that does not hold that false taboo all the people who say they are agnostics would happily dismiss the whole thing as fairytales in the same way all ancient religions are dismissed. One could use the term non-believer (or atheist if you will) but that has wrongly come to imply that the opposite standpoint is just as valid. It is not.

EDIT: And maybe of more interest: I don't believe life has a meaning and I think it is pointless to spend one's life searching for one. The life of a human has on a bigger scale no more meaning than the life of an ant. I also think that is a good thing.
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 07/15/2011 05:54
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
I also think calling yourself an agnostic is a cowardly statement.

harsh. and to think I was missing bork earlier today...
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 07/15/2011 05:58
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
Bork wrote:

Admit it though. It's just a cheap way of avoiding to make a stand and trying not to upset anyone.
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 07/15/2011 06:07
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
Jhereko wrote:
Bork wrote:

Admit it though. It's just a cheap way of avoiding to make a stand and trying not to upset anyone.

Absolutely not. Have you seen the way I am ion this site? does it seem like I go out of my way to not upset people??? I honestly couldn't admit or commit to saying that I think there is no such thing as God or a god, it's just who I am. Unless it was proven beyond doubt, I could not say with any certainty that a higher being did or did not cause a big bang etc. Although I am highly doubtful about the Judeo-Christian-Islamic idea of God.
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 07/15/2011 13:18
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
Bork wrote:
Jhereko wrote:
Bork wrote:

Absolutely not. Have you seen the way I am ion this site? does it seem like I go out of my way to not upset people??? I honestly couldn't admit or commit to saying that I think there is no such thing as God or a god, it's just who I am. Unless it was proven beyond doubt, I could not say with any certainty that a higher being did or did not cause a big bang etc. Although I am highly doubtful about the Judeo-Christian-Islamic idea of God.

Could you, unless it was proven beyond doubt, say with any certainty that there is or is not a tiny little alien orbiting the earth in an invisible flying tea-pot whose sole reason for living is sending invisible and undetectable disintegration rays into washers making one of the socks completely disappear without any trace?
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 07/15/2011 13:22
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
Jhereko wrote:
Bork wrote:
Jhereko wrote:
Bork wrote:

Could you, unless it was proven beyond doubt, say with any certainty that there is or is not a tiny little alien orbiting the earth in an invisible flying tea-pot whose sole reason for living is sending invisible and undetectable disintegration rays into washers making one of the socks completely disappear without any trace?

I believe there is. I've been noticing the same thing Shocked

I have a bunch of socks that have no match. But when I wash them I'm certain they are in pairs.

I say that we shoot that dude out of the sky Evil or Very Mad

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 07/15/2011 13:24
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:

That reminds of something I once heard. It was that you can't be an agnostic, you have to either be Atheist Agnostic or a Theist Agnostic. Basically you have to choose one for God otherwise you bring in questions like Do you believe in Unicorns, Hobbits and Bork's alien teapot. Rolling Eyes