Why did you start making charts?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
camsh

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/01/2014 12:41
  • Post subject:
Patman360 wrote:
I'm a nerd for making lists of stuff. Pretty much sums it up.

This. I pretty much make lists out of anything and everything, so this is pretty much why I joined BEA.
  • Visit poster's website
NickVolos
Segnahc Reve4

Location: Land of the Argonauts, Centaurs and other such creatures
Greece

• Posted: 06/01/2014 13:03
  • Post subject:
Benpaco, your story is touching - hope you re-connect with your grandfather soon.

As for me, wanted to make a list of my favorites CDs available online somewhere, then the possibilities expanded with all sorts of convenient easily-accessible lists... Smile
For worship, being born among these trees?"
  • Visit poster's website
NowhereMan

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/01/2014 17:34
  • Post subject:
I've always had a definite top 3, a rough top 20, and a good idea of my top 100.

I always enjoy lists, stats and comparions

#1-#100 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=3641

#101-#200 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=49444

Check Me Out! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Mies

• Posted: 06/01/2014 17:41
  • Post subject:
camsh wrote:
I pretty much make lists out of anything and everything, so this is pretty much why I joined BEA.

This.

Ps: obviously I love Music more than the other things, though Smile
Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 06/02/2014 13:33
  • Post subject:
Obviously I love making lists, but that's not the whole story. There's an element of economic necessity here. My funds for buying records (vinyl or CD) are very limited, so I have to be sure that the one I'm buying is one of my favorites. Most of my ranking decisions are "given the choice between buying Album A and Album B, which one do I want?" Assuming I can remember the list generally when I go into the record store, it greatly simplifies purchasing decisions.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Lastings

United States

• Posted: 06/02/2014 14:37
  • Post subject:
It started out as a simple and enjoyable exercise. Try to name your top 50 albums. I thought, "ok easy enough." and started making my list. It really grew from there. in the midst of making my list, I kept remembering about albums that I had forgotten. Got all my CD books out and started just clicking on all the albums I owned. Then, realized that without a bit of organization, I'm never gonna get this down to 50. I decided, I need to rate every album I have, using the rater, and see where they all fall in line. I started rating my favorite albums as 90's (never want to go to 100, need to leave room for that perfect album that I've never heard yet.

Rating all my albums became a whole new exercise in itself. giving the most complete and perfect albums a score of 90 and knocking off some points based on how flawed I thought the album was. This all forced me to re-listen to many of my albums and listen to albums that were closely ranked in succession, pitting them against each other. for example, I originally had "August & Everything After" by the Counting Crows as a 70 and "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" by Wilco as a 65. As I saw this on my list it seemed wrong so I gave each album another listen. I came to the understanding that I do, in fact, enjoy the Wilco album more. but then found myself asking the question, "which of these to I have ranked incorrectly?" This of course involved me giving another listen to many other albums I had ranked in the same vicinity. As it turned out, "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" was more of a 75 in my mind, while I had the the Counting Crows album ranked correctly from the beginning.

As it came to a point that I had all my albums ranked, I began to reorganize my chart according to those rankings. Once I had done that, though, I had found an entirely different conundrum. I had pretentiously ranked many of my albums based on some perceived critical value that I thought they deserved, rather than ranking them based on my own enjoyment of the album. For example, I had ranked the Beatles White Album as an 85. Now, don't get me wrong this album is, no doubt, an excellent album. One that I adore. But, when I compare that album which I listen to, maybe, 2 or 3 times a year to an album like "The Crane Wife" by the Decemberists, which I'm still listening to, maybe, once every other month (8 years after it's release), I couldn't honestly claim that I enjoy the White Album more.

This, obviously, has become an ever-evolving and ever-changing list list for me. But, thanks to this site, I now believe that I have a list of albums that honestly represents my taste in music. It has helped me, in many ways, to gain a better understanding of what my favorite albums actually are as opposed to what I may have originally perceived them to be.
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 06/03/2014 00:00
  • Post subject:
Listmeister wrote:
Obviously I love making lists, but that's not the whole story. There's an element of economic necessity here. My funds for buying records (vinyl or CD) are very limited, so I have to be sure that the one I'm buying is one of my favorites. Most of my ranking decisions are "given the choice between buying Album A and Album B, which one do I want?" Assuming I can remember the list generally when I go into the record store, it greatly simplifies purchasing decisions.

TBH a lot of the reason I made this thread is I was curious as to your response specifically (though everyone's a whole, too). Also

Lastings wrote:
It started out as a simple and enjoyable exercise. Try to name your top 50 albums. I thought, "ok easy enough." and started making my list. It really grew from there. in the midst of making my list, I kept remembering about albums that I had forgotten. Got all my CD books out and started just clicking on all the albums I owned. Then, realized that without a bit of organization, I'm never gonna get this down to 50. I decided, I need to rate every album I have, using the rater, and see where they all fall in line. I started rating my favorite albums as 90's (never want to go to 100, need to leave room for that perfect album that I've never heard yet.

Rating all my albums became a whole new exercise in itself. giving the most complete and perfect albums a score of 90 and knocking off some points based on how flawed I thought the album was. This all forced me to re-listen to many of my albums and listen to albums that were closely ranked in succession, pitting them against each other. for example, I originally had "August & Everything After" by the Counting Crows as a 70 and "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" by Wilco as a 65. As I saw this on my list it seemed wrong so I gave each album another listen. I came to the understanding that I do, in fact, enjoy the Wilco album more. but then found myself asking the question, "which of these to I have ranked incorrectly?" This of course involved me giving another listen to many other albums I had ranked in the same vicinity. As it turned out, "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" was more of a 75 in my mind, while I had the the Counting Crows album ranked correctly from the beginning.

As it came to a point that I had all my albums ranked, I began to reorganize my chart according to those rankings. Once I had done that, though, I had found an entirely different conundrum. I had pretentiously ranked many of my albums based on some perceived critical value that I thought they deserved, rather than ranking them based on my own enjoyment of the album. For example, I had ranked the Beatles White Album as an 85. Now, don't get me wrong this album is, no doubt, an excellent album. One that I adore. But, when I compare that album which I listen to, maybe, 2 or 3 times a year to an album like "The Crane Wife" by the Decemberists, which I'm still listening to, maybe, once every other month (8 years after it's release), I couldn't honestly claim that I enjoy the White Album more.

This, obviously, has become an ever-evolving and ever-changing list list for me. But, thanks to this site, I now believe that I have a list of albums that honestly represents my taste in music. It has helped me, in many ways, to gain a better understanding of what my favorite albums actually are as opposed to what I may have originally perceived them to be.

Judging solely by this post and your chart, I'd love to see more of you on the forums Smile

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Lastings

United States

• Posted: 06/03/2014 18:36
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:
Judging solely by this post and your chart, I'd love to see more of you on the forums Smile

Thanks man. I appreciate it.
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/03/2014 18:47
  • Post subject:
I wanted people to see how objectively right I was...

In all honesty, like a few others have said, there was an 'add chart' button and I thought "why not?"
zdwyatt

United States

• Posted: 06/03/2014 20:19
  • Post subject:
I started when I got the Zune subscription, which was in 2007 I think. I had always listened to a lot of music, but a subscription service just took it to this whole other level. I was listening to hundreds of albums a year. So I started making lists just to keep track of what I'd hear and what I liked. In 2009, I started a mailing list with album reviews, mostly so others could benefit from the insane amount of listening I was doing. Last year was when I really got into BEA and actually rating and ranking albums.
  • Visit poster's website