The Listening Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
CubaZed

• Posted: 09/12/2014 21:04
  • Post subject:
Dingerbell wrote:
And just another small question: are we including archival and/or live albums or not?

Live albums but no archival albums I believe.
CubaZed

• Posted: 09/12/2014 21:09
  • Post subject:
No Surprises to Lucky kind of sums up the album quite nicely for me. That final sort of rock bottom desperation marked by a sort of lunge for life. Always been in love with that change in tone.

Anyway something I had on an old chart (excuse the atrocious grammar and all of that):

Quote:
"OK Computer to me is the full catharsis of pain and anger in someones life at their final moments. Every single bitter taste, rise of anger and tear shed is represented and from the inconsequential fabricated ones of adolescence (karma police, fitter happier), to those of envy and rage (paranoid android, electioneering), pure fear (climbing up the walls), cries for help (lucky), those with deep, life changing consequences (subterranean homesick alien, no surprises) and finally acceptance (let down). Top it off with dream like music, amazing production and seamless editing, as well as one of the most beautiful voices in the history of the music (though I would argue Thom Yorke hadn't fully mastered it yet) and lyrics that might be some of the most poetic I have ever read. It's not the perfect work of art (what is?), but it's one of the most brutally honest and doesn't pretend to be anything but pure, unadulterated life. If you allow yourself to, you can easily lose yourself in it."
JMan

• Post subject:
I admit that OK Computer is a true opus, but it's too overproduced for me, and the excessive reverb drowns out some of the fun for me. It's in my top 80 or so albums, though. Every time I listen to it, my rating changes. I put it down from top 40 to 80 last time I heard it.

When I first tried to play it, I got two tracks in and thought "ehh, I'm not picking up." It was, as I mentioned, filled with reverb and overproduction. I wasn't used to Thom's vocals, either. I'm glad I took later listens. I found out how well Thom can project his voice, and how high and low he can go. His voice isn't that great IMO, but he's great at projecting it.
sp4cetiger

• Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
Most of what was being played to the mainstream was Smash Mouth, No Doubt, 311, Foo Fighters, Sugar Ray, Stone Temple Pilots, Lenny Kravitz, so imagine that moment when the truly weird "Paranoid Android" video premieres on MTV in contrast to all of that stuff.

Exactly, and I do remember when I first saw it on MTV. I always liked the video elements, but my first impression of the music was very wtf. I actually had to go backwards to the Bends before I really started understanding where Radiohead was coming from, but I now prefer this album to the Bends by a very wide margin. Diverse, cohesive, haunting... there's a reason it's in my top 20.
NowhereMan

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/12/2014 21:12
  • Post subject:
I enjoyed Electioneering more than I remember doing so previously. A good thrash.

#1-#100 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=3641

#101-#200 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=49444

Check Me Out! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 09/12/2014 21:15
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
Exactly, and I do remember when I first saw it on MTV. I always liked the video elements, but my first impression of the music was very wtf. I actually had to go backwards to the Bends before I really started understanding where Radiohead was coming from, but I now prefer this album to the Bends by a very wide margin. Diverse, cohesive, haunting... there's a reason it's in my top 20.

The first time I heard of Radiohead was when "Creep" came out. At the same time STP had a video for their song "Creep" as well. Greenwood's guitar sound mesmerized me and I loved it, but I was a kid with no money so i didn't buy the record. The Bends totally flew over my head because it didn't get a lot of airplay, and then OK Computer was love at first listen.
  • Visit poster's website
CubaZed

• Posted: 09/12/2014 21:15
  • Post subject:
Alel on the tourist:

[9/12/14 2:10:24 PM] alelsupreme: dude i just realised
[9/12/14 2:10:29 PM] alelsupreme: the one he's telling to slow down
[9/12/14 2:10:42 PM] alelsupreme: is the SUBTERRANEAN HOMESICK ALIEN!!!
[9/12/14 2:10:54 PM] alelsupreme: AND THE ALBUMS ABOUT ALIENATION
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 09/12/2014 21:16
  • Post subject:
CubaZed wrote:
No Surprises to Lucky kind of sums up the album quite nicely for me. That final sort of rock bottom desperation marked by a sort of lunge for life. Always been in love with that change in tone.

Even in its most "upbeat" moments, I still find myself overwhelmed by the cynicism of this album. I think it's partly the way that Thom Yorke emotes, but in some ways I view OK Computer as the culmination of angst-ridden alt rock, despite sounding very little like any alt rock that was made before or since.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 09/12/2014 21:16
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:
I admit that OK Computer is a true opus, but it's too overproduced for me, and the excessive reverb drowns out some of the fun for me.

I've listened to OK Computer a billion times and have no idea what you're talking about. Overproduced? The production of this album is incredible. And nothing sounds drowned out by reverb. It's not shoegaze.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 09/12/2014 21:18
  • Post subject:
CubaZed wrote:

[9/12/14 2:10:54 PM] alelsupreme: AND THE ALBUMS ABOUT ALIENATION

This album basically foretells the alienation the world would suffer through during the computer age.
  • Visit poster's website