Good Celtic Folk Music?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Happymeal

• Posted: 05/28/2014 12:05
  • Post subject: Good Celtic Folk Music?
Anyone got any really good recommendations regarding this. Recently been into a lot of Planxty, Clancy Brothers, Dick Gaughan, Silly Wizard, Hamish Imlach, Lúnasa, Dubliners, and The Bothy Band. Any recs would be appreciated (perhaps this would fit better in the recommendations thread than a thread of its own, but whatevs).

Last edited by Happymeal on 05/28/2014 17:54; edited 1 time in total
RepoMan

• Posted: 05/28/2014 12:14
  • Post subject: Re: Good Celtic Folk Music?
Happymeal wrote:
(perhaps this would fit better in the recommendations thread than a thread of its own, but whatevs).

Actually, I love this idea!!! EVERY genre should get its own recommendation thread and that way when you're in the mood for some stoner metal, or 60s folk music, or late 70s- 80s post-punk, you can just weave your way through the apropos thread & pickup some nuggets. Each thread over time could build into a treasure trove. If this panned out and was semi-organized and/or searchable, I could see a lot of people coming to this site for these genre specific threads alone.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 05/28/2014 12:16
  • Post subject:
I actually really enjoy Celtic Folk music when I listen to it, I prefer it instrumental though. I don't know if you've heard this? It's one of my favourite albums at the moment.

Renaissance Of The Celtic Harp by Alan Stivell

Otherwise, I'd love to see some more recs.
Happymeal

• Posted: 05/28/2014 12:21
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
I actually really enjoy Celtic Folk music when I listen to it, I prefer it instrumental though. I don't know if you've heard this? It's one of my favourite albums at the moment.

Renaissance Of The Celtic Harp by Alan Stivell

Otherwise, I'd love to see some more recs.

Haven't heard this one yet and I'll give it a look. Sounds interesting.

RepoMan wrote:
Actually, I love this idea!!! EVERY genre should get its own recommendation thread and that way when you're in the mood for some stoner metal, or 60s folk music, or late 70s- 80s post-punk, you can just weave your way through the apropos thread & pickup some nuggets. Each thread over time could build into a treasure trove. If this panned out and was semi-organized and/or searchable, I could see a lot of people coming to this site for these genre specific threads alone.

Sounds like a cool concept. If you want it to go through, i'd recommend making a thread regarding it and seeing if you can get it stickied (make sure you also post links to threads where the genre is explored) if/when people are interested in it.

Last edited by Happymeal on 05/28/2014 18:54; edited 1 time in total
RepoMan

• Posted: 05/28/2014 12:56
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:

Happymeal wrote:
Sounds like a cool concept. If you want it to go through, i'd recommend making a thread regarding and seeing if you can get it stickied (make sure you also post links to threads where the genre is explored) if/when people are interested in it.

You don't know me very well, happymeal. I simply like to mooch off the hard work of others. Laughing
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 05/28/2014 13:54
  • Post subject:
I love the idea of genre specific rec threads. way easier to search through, plus I'd suggest that the first page of a rec thread also have a list of some excellent fitting charts.
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 05/28/2014 16:16
  • Post subject:

Irish Heartbeat by Van Morrison & The Chieftains

A Drop Of The Hard Stuff by The Dubliners
I also recommend 'The Best Of Luke Kelly', 2 CD's worth of stuff, but not on the site yet.

As a fan of Planxty you may already be familiar with these ones.

Ride On by Christy Moore

Andy Irvine And Paul Brady by Andy Irvi...Paul Brady

There's plenty of other artists out there too, stuff like The Pogues (Despite their incorporation of punk into it), Clannad, The Fureys, The Wolfe Tones and so on, I'll have a look through some of my parents stuff later for more as it's by far the most dominant part of the music they have...

• Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 05/28/2014 16:39
  • Post subject:
Gonna second Patman's mention of The Fureys, and also mention the Ian Campbell Folk Group (not strictly Celtic, but definitely influenced massively by Scottish and Irish folk), Ron Kavanagh, and, well, that's about it. Christy Moore bores the fucking pants off of me, and the less said about Dolores Keane and Andy M. Stewart the better. Decent modern takes include Julie Fowlis, whilst I guess Eliza Carthy crosses over into Celtic waters occasionally, and Eddie Reader (from the ever-perfect Fairground Attraction) has a great album of Rabbie Burns covers, if you're willing to accept Scottish entries.
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 05/28/2014 18:23
  • Post subject:

Songs Of Ireland by Mary O'Hara
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 05/28/2014 18:47
  • Post subject:
BrandonMiaow wrote:

Songs Of Ireland by Mary O'Hara

I knew as soon as i saw your name on this thread that this album is what youd say haha.

But yes x2
  • Visit poster's website