Ideas for planting things in my garden.

View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 10/19/2014 22:08
  • Post subject: Ideas for planting things in my garden.
So this thread is for helping me find something to plant in my back garden. Like a plant, vegetable bearer or a tree or anything Smile

The reason for this is because I recently acquired an new area of land in my garden. It is 0.8M x 1.8M in area and I need something urgently to go on top of it. Preferably something which will grow right away which is the late August and early Winter. You know the sort of thing which will sprout in time for Christmas so think of those winter things Smile I did toy with the idea of getting some Brussel Sprouts (as Christmasy as you can get, they must be on sale right now) so I can grow some cabbages but I think I should take suggestions from others first.

Also it has to be something which wouldn't look out of place in an English garden. So yeah should have mentioned earlier to suggest nothing which would look out of place or in anyway suspicious. Suggest something you find growing in the gardens of normal people who know a bit more about gardening than I do Smile

So yeah what gardening suggestions do you have wonderful BEA? Thank you in advance Smile
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 10/19/2014 23:32
  • Post subject:
I suggest planting things with high capsaicin levels (peppers) upslope of all your other plants. They'll grow in no time.
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 10/19/2014 23:38
  • Post subject:
Depends on whose shallow grave you're planting over.
bongritsu
电子人 ( cyborg)

Canada

• Posted: 10/20/2014 05:33
  • Post subject:
our climate classifications are pretty different so I dont know if most of my gardening knowledge would be very helpful, but ill try.

growing cabbage is nice, you have to keep a close eye on them though and make the right preparations, you can lose them very quickly to worms if you are not careful.

Strawberry bushes are very British and low maintenance. they are also one of the most noticeably better tasting produce vs store bought. they do spread out and might end up taking up lots your garden space however.

Zucchini plants are really good for limited space gardens. you get a high yield per plant and zucchinis are really versatile in the kitchen. easy to take care of too, good for a beginner gardener.

asparagus is space conscious and easy, be prepared to wait 3 or 4 years before they start producing though

Good luck.

my gardening effort was pretty bad this year. I was summer fallowing half of my garden and I accidentally let the weeds go to seed :s

I FEEL DISCRIMINATED AGAINST AS A PERSON OF JUDGEMENT.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Saoirse

• Posted: 10/21/2014 07:50
  • Post subject:
... you mean so nobody will suspect there's a dead body hiding under all those pea pods?
pa
as it happens

Italy

• Posted: 10/21/2014 09:14
  • Post subject:
HI Kiki, I have an interesting link for you:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/in-month/...ees-shrubs
  • Visit poster's website