Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 112, 113, 114 ... 156, 157, 158  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Precedent

• Posted: 08/31/2015 04:52
  • Post subject:
permafrost wrote:

M3LL155X by FKA Twigs

oh wow just got around to this one holy fuck

pretty much, i mean i love LP1, but this was on a whole different level, reminds me of The Weeknd's first three tapes
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 08/31/2015 08:57
  • Post subject:
pitchfork is right to call this out as being good today

Automaginary by Natural Information Soc...chin Bajas

but srsly you guys, joshua abrams' other thing from this year, magnetoception, is the best. But this is also quite good and worth your time.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 08/31/2015 12:36
  • Post subject:
Awwwwww man,

Miley Cyrus just dropped a psychedelic pop album, called "Miley Cyrus and Her Dead Petz".

In terms of pure concept alone, this may be my favorite surprise release of this recent phenomenon.
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 08/31/2015 15:00
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
In terms of pure concept alone, this may be my favorite surprise release of this recent phenomenon.

unfortunately, the music is unlistenable so whoops
Precedent

• Posted: 08/31/2015 15:24
  • Post subject:
Listening to Travis Scott's Rodeo now, definitely one of the year's best albums. The sound is a continuation from Days Before Rodeo with the whole left-field/experimental trap rap ish, definitely up there with Drake, A$AP Rocky, and Future for my favorite hip-hop project of the year.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 08/31/2015 15:29
  • Post subject:
permafrost wrote:

That's never stopped Applerill before
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 08/31/2015 17:23
  • Post subject:
permafrost wrote:

...Wait, what makes this less "listenable" than anything else the Flaming Lips made? Sure, it's super-long, but I think the duration helps you to really understand the state Miley's in with this. Anyway, I'll post my first-listen response from RYM:

Quote:
Okay, just finished it, and I'm bawling my eyes out uncontrollably. This really did remind me of the first time I listened to the White Album, and I feel like this is unquestionably one of the most culturally important poptimist albums of the year. So many of the stories she told throughout were fun and easy to connect to as a millennial, but when she shifted to the environmental and animal themes in the final few tracks, it took an amazingly perfect tonal shift that even felt earned for someone who isn't an environmentalist.

It's almost like, when she's talking about these dead animals, she's also talking about a loss of innocence. And I don't mean that in a stupid, prudish, sexist Madonna/whore way, but in a sense that applies even to me. Is it worth taking all these progressive steps as a YOLO'er, or is there some sort of emotional compass we're missing? It's really hard to know the answer to that, but no album I've heard captures that like this does. (And of course, it shows how fun and happy the lifestyle can be, as well)
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 08/31/2015 18:18
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
...Wait, what makes this less "listenable" than anything else the Flaming Lips made? Sure, it's super-long, but I think the duration helps you to really understand the state Miley's in with this.

It's not a problem with duration. It's a problem with sound. More power to those who like it, but the Flaming Lips' busy serial ejaculations over the past years have made me thoroughly sour on the concept of their music. Don't try to cram me into some anti-poptimist hated of Miley mindset, though her contributions surely don't do much but add to the annoyance.
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 08/31/2015 21:14
  • Post subject:
permafrost wrote:
It's not a problem with duration. It's a problem with sound. More power to those who like it, but the Flaming Lips' busy serial ejaculations over the past years have made me thoroughly sour on the concept of their music. Don't try to cram me into some anti-poptimist hated of Miley mindset, though her contributions surely don't do much but add to the annoyance.

Okay, that's fair. I didn't mean to blame you; I'm just saying that, if there was a Miley album to call "unlistenable" (from a rockist perspective, which I completely understand that you probably don't have), it wouldn't be this one.

Still, I like this new phase of the Lips ("Helping the Retarded Find God" is one of my favorite songs from them), and I especially love that it's being applied to what would otherwise be thought of as teen-pop music (not that it'd still be artsy otherwise, but you get my point).
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 08/31/2015 21:23
  • Post subject:
i don't know if i really buy that Miley Cyrus has been considered teen pop for the majority of this decade. like, Bangerz was similarly out there. she's not like queering or subverting the teen pop paradigm unless you still insist she has some place in it because of things she recorded as a child. i grant you that she still likes to, despite the content of her interviews, really like conjure the image of her teen pop self as a foil, but it's really kind of played out and silly. no one really associates her with Hannah Montana anymore except for the strawmen created by thinkpiece writers' pens. she's making music that pushes the edges of contemporary pop, and those experiments tend to fail in my eyes but succeed in the eyes of others.