Point of Discussion: The Ethics of Downloading Music

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 02/16/2015 16:54
  • Post subject: Point of Discussion: The Ethics of Downloading Music
POINT OF DISCUSSION

This is Point of Discussion, a thread for people to discuss issues and topics related to music in a thoughtful and productive way. The goal of this is to make you think, to make you take a look at what you believe, why you believe it, and what others believe. Good discussion is the key to any society, and this is a place where, hopefully, that can be fostered. If you would like a certain topic to be discussed or question to be posed, PM me and I'll toss it in when I can.

All of that being said, there are a few guidelines.

The Guidelines:

1. Don't be a dick - it's fairly simple, just be civil. Say what you want, believe what you want to believe, that's fine, just don't be a dick about it.
    2. All opinions are welcome - no matter how unpopular you may think your opinion is (or how unpopular it eventually proves to be), post it. It's welcome. Just be prepared to defend that opinion if it's challenged.
    3. There are no wrong opinions - like, it's literally impossible. These are opinions, so no matter how strongly you feel about it, it's neither right nor wrong, it's just an opinion, so keep that in mind.
    4. The conversation can go anywhere - even if the discussion goes off of the original topic, that's fine. All kinds of tangents are possible, just try to keep it semi-relevant.

The Topic:
What is your viewpoint on illegally downloading music? Why has illegal downloading become so common and so accepted a thing? Where is the line between listening to music for free legally and illegally, or is there such a line? What is your viewpoint on using music listening/downloading services that give the artist virtually no compensation for their music (e.g. the controversy that surrounds Spotify)?

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon

United States

• Posted: 02/16/2015 16:57
  • Post subject:
Bit of housekeeping:

I know that it's only been a few days since the end of the last PoD, but I wanted to post one today to establish a "beginning of the week" timeline for posting PoD, and since the last one garnered such a large response, I think doing it weekly might work. If this changes and the amount of discussion the post creates begins to dwindle, or others believe that doing it weekly is just too much, then it'll change. Until then, I think I'm going to try and keep posting at the beginning of the week each week (Monday or Tuesday).

Also, I believe it might be best for me to have a backup, someone who could handle this were I to be without internet or otherwise indisposed. If anyone is interested, just let me know.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/16/2015 17:14
  • Post subject:
What is your viewpoint on illegally downloading music?

I illegally download every piece of music I own. Without the option of doing so I'd pretty much never be able to listen music. I feel illegally downloading, while unfair on the artist, is the only option for many people for whom music listening would be otherwise far too costly.

Why has illegal downloading become so common and so accepted a thing?

Simple. Nobody likes spending money when they don't have to.

Where is the line between listening to music for free legally and illegally, or is there such a line?

Where can you listen to music for free legally? If the answer is on Youtube or other such services than no, in my opinion. The artist isn't profiting either way.

What is your viewpoint on using music listening/downloading services that give the artist virtually no compensation for their music (e.g. the controversy that surrounds Spotify)?

Really, not much difference from illegally downloading apart from the legality.
  • Visit poster's website
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 02/16/2015 17:22
  • Post subject:
"You wouldn't download a car."

Yes, yes I would. The thing with downloads is that it's not really stealing, since nobody "loses" the song you take. The inly thing that disappears is the potential profits - if there's a tool to get music for free then it's up to the affected parties (labels, mostly, and big players) to propose an alternative and become more competitive business-wise.

If I had the money I'd download everything available legally, I would - but since I don't have the money I'm not even stealing potential profits. It's either listen illegally or not listen at all!
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 02/16/2015 17:31
  • Post subject:

Link
Muslim-Bigfoot

Location: Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

• Posted: 02/16/2015 17:36
  • Post subject:
Without the interwebs 99% of people wouldn't even know about the 99% of stuff they download.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 02/16/2015 18:10
  • Post subject:
alelsupreme wrote:

What is your viewpoint on using music listening/downloading services that give the artist virtually no compensation for their music (e.g. the controversy that surrounds Spotify)?

Really, not much difference from illegally downloading apart from the legality.

It's definitely different. In one situation the artist has a choice and in the other they don't. While profits are minimal through streaming, don't let yourself believe that there aren't profits to be had. Major labels get quite hefty sums of money from Spotify and others, which is part of the reason why so little is left of the pie to go to indie artists. It took a pretty penny to get the rights to Pink Floyd's discography.

For anyone who hasn't read Steve Albini's keynote speech at Melbourne's Face the Music conference, you should do so now:
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/n...ic-in-full

He pretty much sums up why everyone needs to stop complaining so much about how streaming and pirating are killing the industry.

Just wait till 3D printers are commonplace. No one will buy anything other than food and drinks ever again.
  • Visit poster's website
bongritsu
电子人 ( cyborg)

Canada

• Posted: 02/16/2015 18:21
  • Post subject:

I FEEL DISCRIMINATED AGAINST AS A PERSON OF JUDGEMENT.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon

United States

• Posted: 02/16/2015 18:46
  • Post subject:
alelsupreme wrote:

Where can you listen to music for free legally? If the answer is on Youtube or other such services than no, in my opinion. The artist isn't profiting either way.

The comparison that really made me think a long time back was renting CDs at a public library.

I used to, before I learned about downloading music, go to my local library, rent about 15 CDs, bring them home, copy them to my computer, and then return them. While I understand the copying them to my computer part is where it becomes piracy, what if I didn't? What if I just went to the library, rented the CD, listened to it for a week or however long I got it and then returned it. It didn't cost me anything, I still got to experience the piece (sometimes, like in the case of Van Halen III, as many times as I would've experienced it had I downloaded it, which is to say only once) and there was no exchange of any kind of currency, all completely legal. To me, that is a very blurry line between something that's legal and illegal. That's the comparison I always think of.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 02/16/2015 18:51
  • Post subject:
I actually wrote a fairly long report in regards to piracy a year or so back assessing piracy. My personal opinion is that piracy is an amazing tool to listen to music you're either too poor to afford or too distant to get your hands on.

The main reason I support piracy is because it's better to have a person listen to your music and possibly get others to purchase it than lose out on that chance. The person pirating, for the most part, has little intention on actually purchasing your product so it makes little sense to deny more opportunity for possible sales (word of mouth from those who pirate) when you're losing the sale regardless of whether that person pirates your material or not (because that person won't be purchasing it)