Point of Discussion #69: Rockism and Poptimism

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 04/17/2015 17:15
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
Or Kiss by Carly Rae Jepsen which has an overall rating of 49 despite being masterfully crafted.

The opening track is called "Tiny Little Bows". While I'm not in the camp that shames people for loving pop (or even children's music), I can certainly understand how BEA's mostly non-pre-teen, male membership would have trouble relating to Jepsen's music.

I mean, I have my own favorites that aren't popular on BEA. The Black Parade, for example, is in my top 20. I absolutely love it... but still, I'll admit the lyrics are a bit cartoonish and that the style is commonly associated with a subculture that most folks here find repellant.

The thing is, if someone tried to (seriously) shame me for liking The Black Parade, I'd feel fully justified in ripping them a new one. However, I'm not going to lecture them on open-mindedness just because they listen to it and hate it. If "poptimism" means fighting back against attempts to shame people for what they love, I'm all for it. However, if it means I'm the one doing the shaming, then count me way the fuck out.
Gigantic

Christmas Island

• Posted: 04/17/2015 18:23
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
The thing is, if someone tried to (seriously) shame me for liking The Black Parade, I'd feel fully justified in ripping them a new one.

u preteen emo turd

add me on FESTIVE msn messanger

festive signature! ho ho ho!

⛄⛄⛄
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
WindowAbove

United States

• Posted: 04/17/2015 18:27
  • Post subject:
Gigantic wrote:
u preteen emo turd

How are you still not banned yet, Jack?
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 04/17/2015 18:30
  • Post subject:
WindowAbove wrote:

Shhh
Gigantic

Christmas Island

• Posted: 04/17/2015 18:35
  • Post subject:
WindowAbove wrote:

That was a joke. A joke. Sp4ce is my homie. Chill out.

Also I'm not "Jack".

⛄⛄⛄
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Muslim-Bigfoot

Location: Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

• Posted: 04/17/2015 19:26
  • Post subject:
Osho wrote:
Drop the idea of becoming someone, because you are already a masterpiece. You cannot be improved. You have only to come to it, to know it, to realize it.

If only someone told that to Alexander Fleming, Edward Jenner, Karl Landsteiner, Franklin Enders, Thomas Weller, Frederick Robbins, Thomas Peebles, Fritz Haber, David Morley and Pearl Kendrick when they were teenagers. If just people could shut up.
Gigantic

Christmas Island

• Posted: 04/17/2015 19:29
  • Post subject:
Muslim-Bigfoot wrote:
If only someone told that to Alexander Fleming, Edward Jenner, Karl Landsteiner, Franklin Enders, Thomas Weller, Frederick Robbins, Thomas Peebles, Fritz Haber, David Morley and Pearl Kendrick when they were teenagers. If just people could shut up.

I can't tell if you're agreeing with Osho or not. Either way, I disagree with Osho.

⛄⛄⛄
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 04/17/2015 19:42
  • Post subject:
Muslim-Bigfoot wrote:

That doesn't mean you can't do 'great things' for humanity. He's only talking in terms of seeking self-worth from some unknown place or act which is a huge issue for the modern generation (as well as many before it - if not every). Feeling worthless leads to things like mental health issues, crime and even as far as mass murder. An acceptance of being incredible due only to your existence and nothing else is not exclusive from acts of service for the greater good or mankind in general. In fact it's often argued that it's the only way a selfless act is possible.

If you look at the well known Maslow's hierachy of needs

You see that 'self-actualization' is the highest need and I believe this goes into the idea of self acceptance. Maslow would later ammend his original theory to add a level above 'self-actualization' and that was 'self-trancendece'

So that above the idea of reaching your full potential (self-actualization) is the need to help others aka humanity.

So basically I don't agree with your criticism that self-acceptance, regardless of achievement, leads to apathy, contentment and inactivity. And I absolutely think that Osho quote is still valid and important.
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 04/17/2015 19:49
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
The thing is, if someone tried to (seriously) shame me for liking The Black Parade, I'd feel fully justified in ripping them a new one. However, I'm not going to lecture them on open-mindedness just because they listen to it and hate it. If "poptimism" means fighting back against attempts to shame people for what they love, I'm all for it. However, if it means I'm the one doing the shaming, then count me way the fuck out.

My thoughts with the albums Take Care and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and Beyonce. Great wording! Applause
Muslim-Bigfoot

Location: Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

• Posted: 04/17/2015 19:49
  • Post subject:
I don't want to analyse what you just wrote Jher but I cannot see how all that is consistent with "you can't improve". You can improve, a lot.