Chart Study #5: Happymeal

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 05/04/2015 18:59
  • Post subject: Chart Study #5: Happymeal
With a BEUT matchup between myself and Happymeal looming, I thought this would be the perfect time to take on the next chart on my list:

Top 100 Greatest Music Albums by Happymeal.

Happymeal has received his share of criticism during his time here, but it never seems to divert him from going firmly against the grain. While it's not our first instinct as social creatures to celebrate contrary opinions, it's difficult to deny that many of the musicians that are now applauded on BEA were actually bucking the trends during their time. I also happen to love a lot of the music on Happymeal's chart, so I'm really looking forward to digging in further.

A quick reminder of how this works, since it's been a while since I've done one:

1. Anybody is free to ask Happymeal questions about his chart at any time in this thread. It's a community interview of sorts.
2. I'm going to ask him questions of my own periodically (aiming for ~once a day), lasting for about a week. After that, I'll leave the thread open so that Happymeal can continue to use it to let us know about major updates to his chart or field any remaining questions.

That's it for now. More in a bit.

Previous chart studies

RepoMan
dividesbyzero
Mercury
secretdad
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 05/04/2015 19:17
  • Post subject:
alright so I have to know

what is it about AWOLNATION that resonates so much with you?

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
meruizh

Mexico

• Posted: 05/04/2015 19:18
  • Post subject:
I'm not familiar with the majority of your chart, but two things stroke me out.

AWOLNATION "Run" is already No.17 in your chart. It's a brilliant album with no praise and recognition in my opinion. What are your thoughts on the album? Do you think this album is an improved, almost flawless version of their debut.

You have 4 mexican albums? What are your thoughts on the Mexican Music Scene. I'm from Mexico and actually think it's pretty shitty.
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 05/04/2015 19:22
  • Post subject:
Everclear. Chumbawumba. Why should someone listen these bands that everyone stopped listening to after 1998?
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 05/04/2015 20:58
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
alright so I have to know

what is it about AWOLNATION that resonates so much with you?

Awolnation has an intriguing contrast of chaos and structure in its music. I know that one criticism is the contrived screaming, but I feel that brings an amazing aesthetic to AWOLNATION. It's essentially pop music with a chaotic element to it and while not everyone may view it as done as masterfully as I view it, it manages to bring together those two aspects of music I enjoy quite a bit together that not many groups/musicians I've listened to have.

The other thing is just that AWOLNATION was a group I was into around 2011 which was when my taste in music started budding. That's also a factor of my enjoyment.

meruizh wrote:
I'm not familiar with the majority of your chart, but two things stroke me out.

AWOLNATION "Run" is already No.17 in your chart. It's a brilliant album with no praise and recognition in my opinion. What are your thoughts on the album? Do you think this album is an improved, almost flawless version of their debut.

You have 4 mexican albums? What are your thoughts on the Mexican Music Scene. I'm from Mexico and actually think it's pretty shitty.

I just want to clarify I have a really stream of consciousness way of structuring my chart. I'm not too into every little detail being perfect so if an album I find amazing at some time is amazing, then it might just go on my chart. However, I do think that Awolnation essentially took the filler out of their sound. The first album had some tracks that now sound kind of odd. The new album is significantly more structured than the first and it feels like a very cohesive form of Awolnation's sound.

For the 2nd question, I'm not really the one to talk to about the Mexican Music scene. I don't know a huge amount about more obscure groups. I will say that the groups from mexico I've listened to have been great (Cafe Tacuba, Rodrigo y Gabriela, The Chasm, etc.). I'd just rather not comment about a scene I'm not extremely familiar with. Now, if you're referring to traditional mexican music instead of just referring to any group or musician from mexico, then I have very little idea about that.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 05/04/2015 21:09
  • Post subject:
Did somebody say Mexican music?

Link

Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 05/04/2015 21:28
  • Post subject:
The Built to Spill album on your chart, I believe that's the one with the fake preview of the next record? How does that closing track impact your judgment of it? Does it boost the album, or maybe stop it from going higher? Or is it something that you just completely disregard as having no impact on how great all the other songs beforehand are? Because personally I usually stop the album as that's going, but sometimes I do let it play thru and it's a fun little thing and probably makes me think better of it (even if I do normally skip it), but I could also see someone thinking it's the one misstep.
  • Visit poster's website
Dingerbell

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/04/2015 22:11
  • Post subject:
secretdad wrote:
The Built to Spill album on your chart, I believe that's the one with the fake preview of the next record? How does that closing track impact your judgment of it? Does it boost the album, or maybe stop it from going higher? Or is it something that you just completely disregard as having no impact on how great all the other songs beforehand are? Because personally I usually stop the album as that's going, but sometimes I do let it play thru and it's a fun little thing and probably makes me think better of it (even if I do normally skip it), but I could also see someone thinking it's the one misstep.

I too am interested in this answer; I think it's one of the worst things I've ever heard, and easily the worst by a band I love.
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 05/05/2015 13:49
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:
Everclear. Chumbawumba. Why should someone listen these bands that everyone stopped listening to after 1998?

Lol. I found this to be really funny (unless you're being serious about the question).

secretdad wrote:

It does very little to change my opinion of the album, but I think it's a hilarious track. It's meant to be funny and I think it executes the humor it's meant to have pretty well. However, being funny isn't exactly why I like the album as a whole so, while it doesn't become detrimental, it doesn't exactly help the album either.

Last edited by Happymeal on 05/05/2015 17:32; edited 1 time in total
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 05/05/2015 15:39
  • Post subject:

The Moon & Antarctica by Modest Mouse

So your #1 surprised me a little. When I look at all the pop punk on your chart, I would expect a preference for Modest Mouse's later, more melodic albums. How would you rank the rest of their discography and how many of them are chart-worthy? Also, you say in your note that this album makes you feel a kind of "unity". What do you mean by that? Do you mean unity with people in general, or on BEA specifically (because it's a forum regular favorite)?