Album of the day (#1675): Moon Safari by Air

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 07/01/2015 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#1675): Moon Safari by Air
Today's album of the day

Moon Safari by Air (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1998.
Overall rank: 209
Average rating: 80/100 (from 478 votes).

Tracks:
1. La Femme D'Argent
2. Sexy Boy
3. All I Need
4. Kelly Watch The Stars
5. Talisman
6. Remember
7. You Make It Easy
8. Ce Matin La
9. New Star In The Sky
10. Le Voyage De Penelope

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 07/01/2015 20:04
  • Post subject:
A very laid back, sexy and almost ominous vibe I get from this album. It's good, if a bit unfocused.
SleepDealer

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/01/2015 20:15
  • Post subject:
A lovely album.

I bought it on spec shortly after it came out on the strength of the single 'Sexy Boy' (which isn't really a good indication of the rest of the album). It grew on me, mainly because I could listen to it and still revise for my A-Levels at the same time... One of the few albums I bought as a teenager that has stuck with me since.
  • Visit poster's website
MightyMoose

United States

• Posted: 07/02/2015 02:02
  • Post subject:
This is a masterpiece and my favorite electronic album. Every track is crafted to creatively and perfectly that I get something new out of it each listen. This album is responsible for me exploring electronic music and finding other great artists like Aphex Twin, Orbital, Global Communication, Boards of Canada, Flying Lotus, etc. This isn't Air's only album worth checking out; The Virgin Suicides and Talkie Walkie are great too. My favorite song is probably La Femme D'Argent, it takes me to a magical paradise for seven minutes. Absolutely brilliant album.
  • Visit poster's website
decemberhotel

• Posted: 07/02/2015 15:01
  • Post subject:
yes, very good album indeed.
  • Visit poster's website
meruizh

Mexico

• Posted: 07/02/2015 15:56
  • Post subject:
I'm not a huge fan of the rest of the discography of Air. They made two mind-blowing albums (Moon Safari and Virgin Suicides) then they just simply flawed. But I've to say this could the soundtrack of anyone's life. What they archived with Moon Safari is one of the most impressive debuts I ever listened. Sexy Boy, Kelly Watch the stars, All I need, Ce matin La.... just Wow! what an experience
Mies

• Posted: 07/02/2015 21:58
  • Post subject:
MightyMoose wrote:
My favorite song is probably La Femme D'Argent, it takes me to a magical paradise for seven minutes. Absolutely brilliant album.

Yeah, that is a stunning track. I also adore the jazzy "Le Voyage De Penelope" and "Talisman".. yeah, I prob love the most the instrumentals on this, altough I'll say it's very solid overall. After I explored Air's discography, I've found other albums I now like more than this, but it's still extremely enjoyable and gets on my stereo from time to time.
Anyway I, differently from others here, love most of their albums. Talkie Walkie, the Premiers Symptomes EP, 10000 Hz Legend and expecially Virgin Suicides are all really great imo. (Maybe it's because they have been one of my first electronic loves.)
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 07/02/2015 22:05
  • Post subject:
Stumbled across this for 2 euro way back when, the box was destroyed but it still played delightfully (and still does), one of my favourite bargain finds and an album I absolutely love, nothing else from Air touches it unfortunately.

• Visit poster's website
mattybennettpop

Australia

• Posted: 07/04/2015 21:33
  • Post subject:
Before I heard this album the only electronic albums I listened to were by Kraftwerk. I really need melody in my music. So much electronic music is mainly rythyms and textures which for me is too close to muzak. That is background noise to perform a task to. Its just not the way I listen to music. Air are a melodic pop band and this there debut is their best album. Talkie Walkie and Pocket Symphony are good albums but this one is damn near faultless. Smile
  • Visit poster's website
Mies

• Posted: 07/05/2015 00:08
  • Post subject:
mattybennettpop wrote:
Before I heard this album the only electronic albums I listened to were by Kraftwerk. I really need melody in my music. So much electronic music is mainly rythyms and textures which for me is too close to muzak. That is background noise to perform a task to. Its just not the way I listen to music. Air are a melodic pop band and this there debut is their best album. Talkie Walkie and Pocket Symphony are good albums but this one is damn near faultless. Smile

It's true that they keep a melody in most of their songs, but to define them a melodic pop band feels a bit strange to me.
Have you ever listened to The Virgin Suicides, 10000 Hz Legend, or Premiers Symptomes? In all these, melodies are often only suggested, and there's a lot of atmospheric work or rhythmic work. Electro-pop or down tempo seem more right as labels, to me.
Anyway, I'm glad that you are the first to mention Pocket Symphony: another very good album. Some songs there, like "Napalm Love" or "Left Bank", have actually great singed melodies; but still, there are also pieces like "Mayfair Song" or "Lost Message" where the melodies are not so clear and mix each other into a general atmospheric sound.