Total Votes : 20

• Posted: 12/02/2011 03:04
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
mancsoulsister wrote:
GARY wrote:

It would be cool if your boyfriends music would influence you Laughing

Evil or Very Mad

I wouldn't be me if I was a metal head would I?

You gave me an evil face.

I was just jokin Sad

It was not at you sugar... sorry Surprised

It was more at the thought of his music... To be honest GARY I think you would cringe at his music too, he likes some really shockingly bad metal bands (not the good ones you like!)
Wombi

• Posted: 12/02/2011 03:29
  • Post subject:
mancsoulsister wrote:
Chemical Smile wrote:
all i know is that my GF's music tastes are aweful:

Electro (blaaerrrch!)
Lady Gaga
Rihanna
Britney Spears
and those radio stations that play that rap/dance/auto-tune bullshit

Who says that 'Lady Gaga' or 'Rihanna' is 'awful music'? Usually music critics who are for the most part male. Commercial music is designed to appeal to the broadest number of listeners possible so that it makes the maximum amount of money (that's why it is commercial d'oh! ). It does not claim to be anything other than throw away pop. I personally don't like 'Lady Gaga' or 'Rihanna's Music but then as a forty year old woman I am hardly the target market either! That would be teenage girls Smile

On the subject of gender (and this is a gross generalisation but that seems to be what this thread is about), I think men are a lot more status driven than women. Men will often only admit to liking stuff that it is socially acceptable to like or somehow makes them look 'cool' and 'in the know' (and thus giving them the status that goes with being cool). Women will like something because it sounds good and makes them feel good regardless of who performs it and they are much less likely to be ashamed to admit it (even if it is something cringeworthy). Women are less influenced by critical acclaim and would be less likely to pick up an album 'just because it is xxx'. I also don't think women are as obsessed with guitars in quite the same way as men, which is probably why on the whole they are less into guitar driven music.

But this is all speculation and observation. Personally I think gender has nob all to do with what music you end up liking or your music taste. I think what you like has more to do with what you have been exposed to in your formative years and whether you actually take an interest in music.

That has surely got to be the grossest generalisation I've read on this thread.
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 12/02/2011 03:37
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
mancsoulsister wrote:
Chemical Smile wrote:
all i know is that my GF's music tastes are aweful:

Electro (blaaerrrch!)
Lady Gaga
Rihanna
Britney Spears
and those radio stations that play that rap/dance/auto-tune bullshit

Who says that 'Lady Gaga' or 'Rihanna' is 'awful music'? Usually music critics who are for the most part male. Commercial music is designed to appeal to the broadest number of listeners possible so that it makes the maximum amount of money (that's why it is commercial d'oh! ). It does not claim to be anything other than throw away pop. I personally don't like 'Lady Gaga' or 'Rihanna's Music but then as a forty year old woman I am hardly the target market either! That would be teenage girls Smile

On the subject of gender (and this is a gross generalisation but that seems to be what this thread is about), I think men are a lot more status driven than women. Men will often only admit to liking stuff that it is socially acceptable to like or somehow makes them look 'cool' and 'in the know' (and thus giving them the status that goes with being cool). Women will like something because it sounds good and makes them feel good regardless of who performs it and they are much less likely to be ashamed to admit it (even if it is something cringeworthy). Women are less influenced by critical acclaim and would be less likely to pick up an album 'just because it is xxx'. I also don't think women are as obsessed with guitars in quite the same way as men, which is probably why on the whole they are less into guitar driven music.

But this is all speculation and observation. Personally I think gender has nob all to do with what music you end up liking or your music taste. I think what you like has more to do with what you have been exposed to in your formative years and whether you actually take an interest in music.

That has surely got to be the grossest generalisation I've read on this thread.

Or this Think

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 12/02/2011 03:41
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
I have to say the whole issue boils down to gender conditioning.

Girls are conditioned to believe that that music is not for them, just as many of them are conditioned to like dolls, the colour pink, dresses and giving up their rights in oppressive patriarchal marriages. But I've met women in my life who have been THE most passionate metal heads - and I mean HARD shit, Meshuggah all the way. Not surprisingly, however, these girls were often brought up with minimal gender conditioning from their parents.

And also, in reference to Gary's post about black women and metal, there is also a large degree of RACIAL musical conditioning in the same way, too. It's why you don't find a lot of black fans of contemporary country music.

Bitch, do you ever read a thread before you post? Razz Page 1 Wolf and myself were discussing Gender conditioning (without the actual use of the phrase.

Incidentally my opinions have changed heaps since I posted that paragraph. What I say about women is pretty ignant and I don't know why I did and also I bag out Katy Perry but I think she's awesome now Very Happy
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 12/02/2011 03:45
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
Jackwc wrote:

Girls are conditioned to believe that that music is not for them, just as many of them are conditioned to like dolls, the colour pink, dresses and giving up their rights in oppressive patriarchal marriages. But I've met women in my life who have been THE most passionate metal heads - and I mean HARD shit, Meshuggah all the way. Not surprisingly, however, these girls were often brought up with minimal gender conditioning from their parents.

And also, in reference to Gary's post about black women and metal, there is also a large degree of RACIAL musical conditioning in the same way, too. It's why you don't find a lot of black fans of contemporary country music.

Bitch, do you ever read a thread before you post? Razz Page 1 Wolf and myself were discussing Gender conditioning (without the actual use of the phrase.

Incidentally my opinions have changed heaps since I posted that paragraph. What I say about women is pretty ignant and I don't know why I did and also I bag out Katy Perry but I think she's awesome now Very Happy

Are you drunk again Jhereko Laughing

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 12/02/2011 03:52
  • Post subject:
why? what was specifically worng with what I posted?
jbarajas

United States

• Posted: 12/02/2011 03:53
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
Jhereko wrote:
Jackwc wrote:

Are you drunk again Jhereko Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 12/02/2011 08:05
  • Post subject:
My shit arse old man has just put on 'Walking in the air' by some castrated school boy (aled jones).

And you all want to tell me that men have good taste in music...

YEAH RIGHT! Laughing

(and before you ask - yes I am drunk)

• Posted: 12/02/2011 08:08
  • Post subject:
Closely followed by 'Last Christmas' - Wham!

Pfuff Men!

Brick wall
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 12/03/2011 01:52
  • Post subject:
Then I guess there just wasn't enough conditioning going on in his household.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website