Couldn't Say
45%
 45%  [9]
Total Votes : 20

Polythene Pam

• Posted: 03/31/2011 08:37
  • Post subject: Music taste according to gender
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/entert...n-to-Venus

An article I read on a New Zealand News website I can't say I agree with much off what they are saying, still I think it raises a few interesting points.

Any thoughts on the article?
Wombi

• Posted: 03/31/2011 09:51
  • Post subject:
It's a really tough one because with most things I'd like to say "well it doesn't matter people are individual and have individual opinion, taste, blah, blah, blah, regardless of gender blah blah blah" but with music it might actually be a general truth. I mean if not for women we wouldnt have Justin Bieber or quite unlikely that would have Katy Perry and her ilk but then vice versa if not for men we wouldn't have some of the crappy hard rock/metal that we have. As the guy in the article say "a generalisation", but I have to say most of the women I know or are acquainted with have bad taste in music. A woman who has what I would consider bad taste in music is a real dealbreaker for me, so I guess by the theory of this article my field is narrowed by quite some. And again like the guy in the article, I know some (though few) women who have good taste in music (though a fair percentage of them are hipsters so Confused ). I would love to hear Applerill's opinion though Razz

"Just as, presumably, there are some men who listen to Coldplay. Possibly even some straight ones." *sigh* that old one.
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 03/31/2011 18:18
  • Post subject:
The music you enjoy largely amounts to how you were raised and who you ended up spending time around in your formative years. Therefore, to try and divide taste by gender lines is idiotic in the extreme.

"[No guy ever]said that Alanis Morissette was singing about his life. It was always the women."

No kidding? Maybe it's possible that, hey, a woman artist might be able to write about female experiences better than a male one, you dumb shit? A Joni Mitchell album would probably send this moron's entire existence into a tailspin.

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 03/31/2011 19:31
  • Post subject:
40footwolf wrote:
The music you enjoy largely amounts to how you were raised and who you ended up spending time around in your formative years. Therefore, to try and divide taste by gender lines is idiotic in the extreme.

But generally we are raised based on our gender (i.e blue for boys pink for girls etc) so your statement kinda contradicts itself. I agree music we enjoy is formed by how we were raised and who we spent time with growing up with and therefore that proves even more how gender can define music taste
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 03/31/2011 20:38
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
40footwolf wrote:

But generally we are raised based on our gender (i.e blue for boys pink for girls etc) so your statement kinda contradicts itself. I agree music we enjoy is formed by how we were raised and who we spent time with growing up with and therefore that proves even more how gender can define music taste

It would contradict itself if the "blue for boys pink for girls" mentality were not rapidly declining. However, in this age of Halo champions becoming fathers to daughters and career businesswomen becoming mothers to sons, gender binaries are becoming less and less defined(as they should be).

People with shitty taste in music defy boundaries. For every girl squealing to Justin Timberlake there's a boy blogging about how much he hates his gym teacher to Buckcherry, and chances are in a few years they'll find themselves grinding on each other to Lil' Wayne at a club. Terrible pop music(and that IS what bands like Godsmack, Nickleback, Trapt and the like are, and don't for a minute think otherwise) defies gender.

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 03/31/2011 20:51
  • Post subject:
40footwolf wrote:
Jhereko wrote:
40footwolf wrote:

It would contradict itself if the "blue for boys pink for girls" mentality were not rapidly declining. However, in this age of Halo champions becoming fathers to daughters and career businesswomen becoming mothers to sons, gender binaries are becoming less and less defined(as they should be).

People with shitty taste in music defy boundaries. For every girl squealing to Justin Timberlake there's a boy blogging about how much he hates his gym teacher to Buckcherry, and chances are in a few years they'll find themselves grinding on each other to Lil' Wayne at a club. Terrible pop music(and that IS what bands like Godsmack, Nickleback, Trapt and the like are, and don't for a minute think otherwise) defies gender.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
bcaie16

Canada

• Posted: 03/31/2011 21:15
  • Post subject:
Music genres are absolutely gender related, but quality I would have to disagree. There is an obscene amount of awful Nu-metal and slipknot-esque hard rock that I can guarantee you does not come from most 13 year old girls.
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 04/01/2011 18:18
  • Post subject:
40footwolf wrote:
Jhereko wrote:
40footwolf wrote:

I agree upon your well articulated opinion on where parenting is heading societally but I think the current generation of pop listeners would mostly fall under gender defined parenting still. Let's reconvene here in 20 years and see where the world of music is, deal?
Wombi

• Posted: 04/01/2011 18:20
  • Post subject:
also interesting that 8 people have voted men and 4 people (as I have) have voted couldn't say, but how come the man-voters haven't put their opinions into words hmmm?

Last edited by Wombi on 04/01/2011 19:43; edited 1 time in total
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 04/01/2011 18:36
  • Post subject:
40footwolf wrote:

"[No guy ever]said that Alanis Morissette was singing about his life. It was always the women."

Hey! I'm a 17-year-old male metalhead, and Jagged Little Pill describes my life pretty darn well, thank you! And in case you're wondering, I'm definitely not gay, either Surprised

But yeah, I'd hate to say it, but a lot of this stereotype is indeed true. When I went to Boy Scout Camp for the last time this past summer, my buds and I spent whole week partying to The Doors, the Beatles, Pink Floyd, and the White Stripes. But when I came back, I heard someone with enough nerve to call Crazy Frog "a classic".

But I really think it's more of a cultural thing than anything else. Women (especially in their teens) have this strange obsession with fitting in, so if they can't get down to "Imma Be" (one of the worst songs ever made, BTW), then they feel inferior about themselves.

That's just my theory.
  • Visit poster's website