Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 02/07/2016 20:11
  • Post subject:
Pentagonal wrote:
The vast majority of my context is sonic. I don't really know how much I'd gain from studying theory or history - I certainly enjoy a lot of the avant garde without it.

Prior listening is context. The dialogue of avant-garde music is often within stylistic changes or breaking from traditional templates. Listening experience allows you to build a certain awareness of the traditional structure of musical styles, which makes it all the more incredible when you hear something that breaks away from all known ideas of structure, tone, rhythm, etc.
  • Visit poster's website
Pentagonal

• Posted: 02/07/2016 20:30
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
Prior listening is context. The dialogue of avant-garde music is often within stylistic changes or breaking from traditional templates. Listening experience allows you to build a certain awareness of the traditional structure of musical styles, which makes it all the more incredible when you hear something that breaks away from all known ideas of structure, tone, rhythm, etc.

I agree, I just think that all music, even pop, can benefit from context. What distinguishes pop, I think, is that most people already have that context, or at least it's much more easily obtained.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 02/07/2016 20:39
  • Post subject:
Pentagonal wrote:
I agree, I just think that all music, even pop, can benefit from context. What distinguishes pop, I think, is that most people already have that context, or at least it's much more easily obtained.

Yeah exactly. And as musical vocabulary expands, the concept of what is actually unique and avant-garde evolves. If Nickelback was the first rock band I ever hear in my life, they'd likely seem incredibly original until provided the context of all of the similar rock bands that preceded them for decades.
  • Visit poster's website
Januscl

Denmark

• Posted: 03/02/2016 11:57
  • Post subject:
Coldplay, Nephew and Dizzy Mizz Lizzy is musical trash in my opinion.
  • Visit poster's website
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark

• Posted: 03/02/2016 17:09
  • Post subject:
Januscl wrote:
Coldplay, Nephew and Dizzy Mizz Lizzy is musical trash in my opinion.

Whoa! Shocked 2/3 Danish bands. Really? How could you, especially the latter one? For those with a better definition of musical trash, listen to this one:

Link

...and tell me's it's not absolutely epic!

Btw, welcome! You are of course entitled to your own opinion even if it's wrong!
boyd94

• Posted: 03/02/2016 17:38
  • Post subject:
As an English major I read and subscribe to a lot of literary criticism along the lines of Barthes and Sartre, and struggle to escape the line of thought that says the more I have to bend over backwards in service of the author (or musician, painter, sculptor) and his intentions, the more my position as reader becomes worthless and I'm just being invited to join in a circlejerk.

This can apply equally to impenetrable self-referential avant-garde, and bubble-gum pop that aggressively hammers you over the head with is emotional and thematic intent.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 03/02/2016 17:48
  • Post subject:
boyd94 wrote:
As an English major I read and subscribe to a lot of literary criticism along the lines of Barthes and Sartre, and struggle to escape the line of thought that says the more I have to bend over backwards in service of the author (or musician, painter, sculptor) and his intentions, the more my position as reader becomes worthless and I'm just being invited to join in a circlejerk.

This can apply equally to impenetrable self-referential avant-garde, and bubble-gum pop that aggressively hammers you over the head with is emotional and thematic intent.

boyd94 used this figure of speech, but the Plebs did not understand what he was telling them.

Therefore boyd94 said again, “As an English major I read and subscribe to a lot of literary criticism along the lines of Barthes and Sartre,

and struggle to escape the line of thought that says the more I have to bend over backwards

in service of the author (or musician, painter, sculptor) and his intentions,

the more my position as reader becomes worthless and I'm just being invited to join in a circlejerk.

This can apply equally to impenetrable self-referential avant-garde,

and bubble-gum pop that aggressively hammers you over the head with is emotional and thematic intent.

“I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me—

just as the Sartre knows me and I know the Sartre—and I lay down my life for the sheep.

I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd.

The reason my Sartre loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again.

No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Sartre.”
Satie

• Posted: 03/02/2016 17:54
  • Post subject:
so instead of bending over backwards, if you're following Sartre's literary criticism, you just insist all the authors do the bending so you can make up what their worldview is? i've gotta say, pedantic literary psychoanalysis is the most disgusting cancer to ever develop in the humanities, and i can't wait for the day it fades from existence. it's the most tedious, painful, and useless mode of criticism that's ever existed.
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 03/02/2016 21:40
  • Post subject:
I've only read Nausea Crying or Very sad
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 03/02/2016 22:18
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
boyd94 used this figure of speech, but the Plebs did not understand what he was telling them.

Therefore boyd94 said again, “As an English major I read and subscribe to a lot of literary criticism along the lines of Barthes and Sartre,

and struggle to escape the line of thought that says the more I have to bend over backwards

in service of the author (or musician, painter, sculptor) and his intentions,

the more my position as reader becomes worthless and I'm just being invited to join in a circlejerk.

This can apply equally to impenetrable self-referential avant-garde,

and bubble-gum pop that aggressively hammers you over the head with is emotional and thematic intent.

“I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me—

just as the Sartre knows me and I know the Sartre—and I lay down my life for the sheep.

I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd.

The reason my Sartre loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again.

No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Sartre.”

ahahahahahaha