Refugee Crisis

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 09/14/2015 09:52
  • Post subject: Refugee Crisis
Okay, so this is the biggest topic of conversation in Europe right now, and I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Basically to summarize - in the past few years, most of refugees/immigrants that wanted to come to EU countries, came from Africa (esp. Libya) via Mediterranean sea and into Italy. Now, with Syrian civil war still going on after many years, more and more people are coming through a different path - via Turkey to Greece islands (or mainland), then smuggled or walking through Balkans from Macedonia to Serbia to Hungary to Austria and to their desired destination (in most cases anyway) - Germany. Most likely because the refugee camps in countries surrounding Syria (Lebanon and Turkey especially) are overcrowded and don't offer good living conditions.
Throughout the last 1-2 months, we have seen:

-Tensions on Greek/Macedonian border, with Macedonian army wanting to stop the progress of refugees through their country (although they left them in eventually)
-Chaos on some of the Greek islands these people have come to on their way towards the north.
-Hungary, which is building a wall on their border to limit the number of refugees reaching their country, is being accused by all the mainstream media of cruelty against refugees. After the first large group entered Budapest with train tickets for Vienna, they were not allowed on the trains and were stranded there for a couple of days before eventually taken to refugee camps in the country, however many (or most?) do not wish to be registered due to fear they will have to eventually return to Hungary if they will be refused permit in their desired countries.
-Germany appeared welcoming to refugees, with some of the politicians claiming they can take up to 500k /year to 800k just this year. They are also demanding that all the EU countries split refugees among themselves according to quotas (both those coming through Greece and the previous ones coming through Italy), however not all countries are thrilled with this idea (Czech, Slovaks, Poland, Hungary)
However, in these days, the increasing amount of refugees proved too much even for the Germans and they decided to start controlling the border with Austria and even (somewhat hypocritically, might I add..) want countries where refugees enter the EU zone to protect their borders more.

From what I can tell, the people are split into several sides in the debate regarding how Europe should deal with this crisis:
-One extreme position is the borderline nazi sentiment - our cultures are not compatible, they will ruin our way of life, bring crime, islamization of Europe, white genocide, it's a grand Saudi/Arab plan, send them back, etc.
-Even some of the less radical people are quick to point out the demographics of the people coming this way (mostly male (70-75%, depending on the source), fairly young, including a large number of non-Syrians and people from countries that are not necessarily in a war right now) that indicate they are coming to Europe not just to flee war, but to get social benefits or try to find work, and that this makes them "economic migrants", not war refugees. They follow that up, by saying that Europe should work hard to only accept those people that need help the most, while those others, which want to leech of the EU welfare should go back to where they came from or the first safe (not-in-war) country.

-On a completely different side are the somewhat idealistic "think of the children" folks, that want to help everyone by opening the borders. Most of them make sure to mention that Europe, along with USA, is in large part responsible for the destabilization of those countries (Libya, Syria, Iraq), so it's our duty to do everything to help, accept them in - they only want to work and will not cause trouble. Claims of "incompatible cultures" are racism, Dublin regulation should be suspended, etc.

I'm stuck somewhere in between. I don't think these people would actually go on such a risky path to Europe if they didn't feel it was absolutely necessary (you probably know how many people died on this path, esp. on Mediterranean sea), so it is necessary to give help. On the other hand, if you want order in a country (and if you want to help these people properly, you need to have order), opening the borders and openly inviting the refugees to come here, will just create more chaos than it already is, and have far more people trying to come into country than they are possible to deal with (at once) - and when that is the case, the safety is compromised, and you can't really help these people coming here either! They will go from being stuck in refugee camps in Turkey/Lebanon to being stuck in refugee camps in Europe. I mean, if you want them to integrate normally in this society, is this really the way to do it?

The argument of "Europe did this so we deserve this" is also flawed - sure, the politics from our countries made us benefit more from them compared to the people in Libya, Syria, or Iraq, or Eritrea for that matter, but the general public here doesn't really want or vote for those wars, and people who will get the short end of the stick are those people that are already marginalized and/or in bad economic situation themselves. Let's also not make illusions that Europe is the only one to blame, and that Arab leaders (or African dictators in the case of their countries) couldn't do more to help what's happening down there - and if you are looking for countries that should be doing more to aid the refugees, you don't need to leave middle East to do so - I've read reports of Saudi Arabia willing to donate money to build more mosques in Germany, but I don't remember reading anything about them accepting refugees from those countries (along with Kuwait, Qatar...)

I do think that EU has a moral obligation to help restore order in the countries they helped destabilize, but do that without destabilizing European countries themselves, because it would just make the problems they already have worse (it's funny how easy it is to forget the Greek crisis in the light of these events - but really, how are Greek in their current economic situation to cope with thousands of refugees arriving and travelling through their countries?) You don't want an uncontrolled mass of people reaching your borders - if nothing else for safety reasons! Plus it only benefits the smugglers, while EU money that could be used to help the war zones AND overcrowded refugee camps in the Middle East will be going towards newly created crisis areas.

So, your thoughts?

How to help these people?
How to prevent those that are making major money with them (smugglers) and should EU countries organize this "travel" themselves - this could limit the number of refugees, and potentially help those that need it most (and prevent potential frauds)?
How to help the situation in their respective countries?
Should Europe be worried about islamization, or the possibility of a culture clash?
Will the refugees be able to integrate in the European society, in the long term?
Should we divide those that are fleeing war and those that don't come from politically unstable countries ("economic migrants")?
Is the "quotas" solution realistic?
Should EU do more to pressure the neighbouring Arab countries into helping more?
What do you think the development of this crisis will be? Will Slovenia get fucked after Hungary, Germany and Austria start controlling their borders more?
Is Europe racist?
When will you accept a Syrian refugee in your home?

Sorry for not providing any links, most of the stuff I've been reading is in Slovenian anyway.. But if you're curious I can find you some interesting stuff.
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 09/14/2015 14:24
  • Post subject:
i thought these people were freedom fighters backed by the west? i guess the only handouts we allow Syrians are guns to overthrow people we dislike instead of subsistence for families displaced by our wars.
Muslim-Bigfoot

Location: Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

• Posted: 09/14/2015 15:29
  • Post subject:
The big problem is with Oil-rich Arab countries. They should be able to host most of population of Syria easily. Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UAE, Jordan and also Shia Iran. But the reality is the exact opposite. People in those areas know of the fate of those who take refuge in these countries so they're not willing to go that way even if there was any enthusiasm from the countries themselves (which doesn't seem to exist). There are third generation Palestinian refugees, third generation, in Jordan and Lebanon that have no citizenship rights and are still living in camps. About "economic immigrant" thing; that's nonsense more than likely. Where were these economic immigrants before Syrian civil war? The late influx is probably more than 90% from Syria. But there are about 6 million displaced still inside Syria so I don't think those who take the risk of "decision" are doing it out of leisure.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 09/14/2015 16:26
  • Post subject:
Muslim-Bigfoot wrote:
The big problem is with Oil-rich Arab countries. They should be able to host most of population of Syria easily. Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UAE, Jordan and also Shia Iran. But the reality is the exact opposite. People in those areas know of the fate of those who take refuge in these countries so they're not willing to go that way even if there was any enthusiasm from the countries themselves (which doesn't seem to exist). There are third generation Palestinian refugees, third generation, in Jordan and Lebanon that have no citizenship rights and are still living in camps.

Is there a chance that pressure on those countries from the West could change that? Or is that not in their interest?

Quote:

About "economic immigrant" thing; that's nonsense more than likely. Where were these economic immigrants before Syrian civil war? The late influx is probably more than 90% from Syria. But there are about 6 million displaced still inside Syria so I don't think those who take the risk of "decision" are doing it out of leisure.

Well I don't quite agree with those economic immigrant claims, though the logic is that the groups of migrants going north are: 1-predominantly younger men whose families are "safe" in refugee camps near Syria, who aren't those that need help the most.
2- a lot of people from other countries (Pakistan, Afghanistan, etc.) that are also using up this "opportunity" to move north with the mass of people as the EU borders are easier to pass now.
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 09/14/2015 19:05
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
2- a lot of people from other countries (Pakistan, Afghanistan, etc.) that are also using up this "opportunity" to move north with the mass of people as the EU borders are easier to pass now.

i know you're not making this claim directly, so don't take this as an aggressive request or an invitation to personal argument, but do you/those that claim this have a source for this bit? because the argument that Pakistanis and Afghanis are uniquely taking advantage of this new opportunity seems like a red herring to shift discussion back to the typical EU party line on Muslim-majority nationals' immigration instead of this specific case, since they know it's easier to sway "moderates" to the barely concealed racist (or, to call a spade a spade here - Nazi) machinations of a growing group (majority at this point?) on the European right when you talk about economic factors to conceal the true intentions of limiting access.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 09/14/2015 19:10
  • Post subject: Re: Refugee Crisis
Nobody has chosen where he was born. Everybody should be allowed to live wherever they please. I would also like to point out that this - which is my opinion - has nothing to do with the "we did this, we must do something" argument that is totally pitiful. We should welcome oppressed/starving/endangered people from everywhere.
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 09/14/2015 19:19
Norman Bates wrote:
Nobody has chosen where he was born. Everybody should be allowed to live wherever they please. I would also like to point out that this - which is my opinion - has nothing to do with the "we did this, we must do something" argument that is totally pitiful. We should welcome oppressed/starving/endangered people from everywhere.

to clarify, i agree with the wider sentiment on an idealist level and would strive for open borders in general in a vague sense (though i think, while we're talking in vagaries, that i would also like to see the kinds of protections that functioning nation-states can make that could limit the free movement of goods and services in such ways as we've seen with large trade agreements that disproportionately drive the poor into deeper poverty and the environment into greater despair, though this is all getting off track). however, i make the "we did this, we must do something" argument 1. because i find it revealing which humanitarian crises are so damnable when others cause them and which are not when we do and 2. because i think framing things in terms of reparations makes them more tangible, as well as appealing to the typical liberal democratic spirit of fairness, equity, justice, etc. on a level that makes people more willing to come to the table. when we get into "all open borders" discussions, even if i like them a lot, the solution looks too radical to a lot of people on the one hand and too intangible on the other. i'd be open to France having a different atmosphere for that discussion, but something about the way they're responding to this crisis and past ones makes me think the majority are still a bit behind the curve on that.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 09/14/2015 19:20
Norman Bates wrote:
Nobody has chosen where he was born. Everybody should be allowed to live wherever they please.

Couldn't agree with this more. It's obviously more complicated but most immigrants come to a country seeking what that country has to offer, rather than seeking to fundamentally change the cultural climate.
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 09/14/2015 19:22
meccalecca wrote:
to fundamentally change the cultural climate.

yeah, typically to do that, you need the IMF, World Bank, or a big military on your side in recent times. if anything, the poor in the middle east have more to fear from the west than vice versa.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 09/14/2015 19:25
permafrost wrote:
yeah, typically to do that, you need the IMF, World Bank, or a big military on your side in recent times. if anything, the poor in the middle east have more to fear from the west than vice versa.

Absolutely. I guess the fear is always that the immigrants will somehow become the majority, but that's extremely unlikely to happen, unless the entire population of a country floods another.
  • Visit poster's website