Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Lachapelle

Canada

• Posted: 03/05/2016 17:53
  • Post subject:

Talkin' Honky Blues by Buck 65

Country meets Hip Hop. In a good way..

This will be a very different listen for those of you who have never heard of him.
That being said, this is probably the least bizarre album of his.

He does all of his own production and scratching, which is also very original at most times, and he blends elements from both hip hop and country to create his own sound for this album.

Square is also a good album to start off with, however it has more than 10 votes so I went with Talkin' Honky Blues for this thread.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/05/2016 20:59
  • Post subject:
samistake2ice wrote:

Remember My Song by Labi Siffre

Released in 1975, then re-relased after Eminem used a sample of "I Got The.." in his breakout hit "My Name Is".
Labi Siffre seems to be incredibly underrated on the site. British homosexual poet, singer, songwriter. Dreamer, Down, and Another Year are all really great songs but the whole album is a really good listen. I suggest ya'll give it a try.

It only has 3 votes!?!?

Been meaning to chek this for years. I got the.. Is such a great track. Don't forget that the session players on this are Brian Bennett and chas & dave. Basically eminem owes his whole career to chas n dave yeah?
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 03/05/2016 21:24
  • Post subject:
When I look at my own top 100 most of the albums in there have hundreds and even thousands of votes but there are some that I consider to be hidden gems that I'm sure more people would appreciate it if they knew it. I each time mention the number of votes these albums have at the time I'm writing these comments: I would really like it if all of them (or at least part of them) would get more than 10 votes in no time:

Ascension (7 votes) by the Aints: follow-up of the Saints by Ed Kuepper: this album is an incredible mix of shredding guitar rock with jazz elements

Rifferama (1 vote: mine) by Thrum: the title of the album is self-explanatory

People Are Like Seasons (5 votes) from Sophia: Robin Propper-Sheppard (ex-leader of the God Machine): at his melancholic best: some really heart breaking songs like I Left You and Swept Back

Blind Love (4 votes) by Ratcat: just catchy bubblegum rock (as opposed to bubblegum pop)

The Word and the Flesh (4 votes) by the Band of Susans: again guitar rock with intertwining guitars (ex Guitar Trio is one of the song titles of the longest and last track of the album)

Eroica (6 votes) by Wendy & Lisa: I wouldn't even call this a hidden gem: incredible that these Prince pupils with great psychedelic sounding funk doesn't get more votes

Beatsongs (8 votes) by the Blue Aeroplanes: very underrated band with great song writing skills; the lyrics are delivered in kind of spoken word way not unlike Lou Reed did on his best albums

White Soul (6 votes) By Green: again very catchy rock and when I write catchy I mean really catchy

[/img]
  • Visit poster's website
Zombeels

Canada

• Posted: 03/07/2016 07:41
  • Post subject:
I have a long list:

Heartless Bastards - Arrow 2012
Jack Drags - Soft Songs LP:Avaiating 2000
Girls In Hawaii - Everest 2014
Jack Drag - The Sun Inside 2002
Fanfarlo - Reservoir 2009
Underground Lovers - Dream It Down 1994
Zeus - Say Us 2010
Irving - Death In The Garden Blood On The Flowers 2006
Paul Revere & The Raiders - Alias Pink Puzz 1969

To name a few
Giantval

• Posted: 03/07/2016 21:17
  • Post subject:
Stoned Jesus - Seven Thunders Roar
I'm not a doom metal fan, but this was a real pleasure to listen.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 03/07/2016 21:44
  • Post subject:
Hi Zombeels,

So you're hoping to see Girls in Hawaii live; I hope they'll make it from Belgium to Canada lol
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/07/2016 23:19
  • Post subject:
from my chart:

ウッーウッーウマウマ(゜∀...y Caramell

i'm literally the only person to rate this and it's my #1 Sad

heavenly cutesy bubblegum dance & happy hardcore songs that both excite and comfort. a big fat hug whilst you're also being given huge amounts of euphoric energy. love love love love love love

Atta Girl by Heavenly

you know when music just sounds like it all fits together perfectly? that's this EP. lovely songs n amelia fletcher is a SUPERGIRL™

Entanglements by Parenthetical Girls

sweet but also eerie chamber/art pop. a concept album about a paedophilic relationship which is really confusing because it's all really sexual and uncomfortable but then at the same time there's these lush strings that also add to the darkness of the subject matter. but it all works so well oddly

Teenage Jesus And The Jerks by Teenage ... the Jerks

don't get on the wrong side of lydia lunch or she'll smack a glass bottle over ya head and then use the bottle to play a powerful af song about yr skull and how she fucking smacked you over the head with a bottle that she's using right now it's 100% meta; another SUPERGIRL™

Bacharach by St. Christopher

the jangles feel like waterfalls it makes me cry

Ciao! Baby by The Marshmallow Kisses

just real cute twee pop/shibuya kei with loads of bossa influences to keep it all up, really adorable

Get Olde by Crying

three parts power pop, two parts chiptune, one part twee pop. it's a mix made in heaven. another SUPERGIRL™.

Sailorwave by マクロスMACROSS 82-99

it's future funk but don't worry it doesn't have the "vaporwave a e s t h e t i c" it's just groovy af music with gorgeous synths

Ever Been To Mexico? by Free Loan Investments

another twee EP, this one's from Sweden!!! she's lovelorn and shouts Rain Go Away after she sees the boy she likes In The Park holding hands with another girl, and she wants to Kick His Balls Out! sounds like a SUPERGIRL™ to me.

All Day Long In Bliss by Trixie's Big Red Motorbike

essentially all there is to it, ladies n gents n otherwise

Frenemies by Felicita

fractured time signatures mixed with candyish bursts of bass it's all gr8

Automatic Writing by Robert Ashley

makes my skin go all weird and shivery. it's hard to take in. very emotional and weirdly relaxing in a way, but essentially i can listen to this and be put in the biggest trance for 46 minutes straight.

The Peel Sessions by Twa Toots

more twee EP. you know that vibe of like assembling a really cute post-punk/indie pop band in the early 80s and just making some really toned-down chill n adorable music? or is that just me? well yeah twa toots perfected that vibe here anyways.

Songs Of Ireland by Mary O'Hara

some moments bring me to tears with her goddamn harp and then some moments i'm away in the clouds with the folky adventures she sings of, a true angel and another SUPERGIRL™

Cafe Reggio by Holiday

amazing jangly twee w/ synthy bits n bobs and indie rock influences here and there its to die for Gowi will attest to that being the only other person to rate this (but giving it 80/100 which is fab)

Secret Mix by GFOTY

an emotional rollercoaster and it's all over the place in all the right ways. I'M SEEING HER PLAY WITH ANIMAL COLLECTIVE IN APRIL WITH LUKE <3

Intro Bonito by Kero Kero Bonito

ty to jim revolver brandon all u beauties who kept on keepin on with this album as i doubted it from first listen to about TENTH listen or something now when I love it omg <3

Memories In Beach House by Seaside Lovers

cool chill exotic cheesy japanese pop from the 80s and it's everything you could ever want from that description. also the only rater evry1 needs this in their lives.

not on my chart but obligatory honourable mentions!:

Plux Quba by Nuno Canavarro

i feel this describes the delicacies and intricacies of the human mind better than any psychologist does. all without words. it's a precious thing.

NYC, Hell 3:00AM by James Ferraro

how the hell does this have only 5 ratings i am disappoint, BEA. like a dark dank dreary New York cityscape. it's grimey as hell but i could also live in its walls and feel at home.

Chick Habit by April March

cool chick goes yé-yé and rocks my socks, yet another SUPERGIRL™.

つちのこ男爵 [Tsuchinoko Danshaku...Masakosan]

wew lad. zany japanese art pop it's all over the place and as FUN as shit gets really, listen to this and you'll instantly get what i mean. the last but not least SUPERGIRL™.
bcmandude

Canada

• Posted: 03/15/2016 04:04
  • Post subject:
Batten The Hatches by Jenny Owen Youngs, one of my favourite albums:

• Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/15/2016 04:32
  • Post subject:
Been coming across a lot of these since starting my listening for the BLT, They're all Hard Bop/Modal Jazz so if that'd you're thing, these are well worth a listen.

Shades Of Redd by Freddie Redd Quintet

Mode For Joe by Joe Henderson

Afro-Cuban by Kenny Dorham

Fiery, red-hot and soaked with latin instrumentation, total joy.

The Cooker by Lee Morgan

The Herbie Nichols Trio by Herbie Nichols

Mosaic by Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers

Honestly baffling that a work as great as this from such a big name in 50's/early 60's jazz only has 4 votes. On par with Moanin', if not better.

Symphony For Improvisers by Don Cherry
  • Visit poster's website
Maximizer

Canada

• Posted: 03/16/2016 19:34
  • Post subject:
Mista Thug Isolation by Lil Ugly Mane

Seriously excellent production on this one.
  • Visit poster's website