Musical taste is never the same.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
luis721

Colombia

• Posted: 10/03/2015 17:47
  • Post subject: Musical taste is never the same.
Why do people in this web cry when somebody criticises Radiohead or similars?
People cry and argue if somebody doesn`t have Radiohead in their charts or if any of their albums is under any other band, well, they maybe one of the best ever bands, but that doens't means that if somebody just don't like them you shouldn't begin to argue.
I admire people who's got enough bravery to comment something against Radiohead, yes, those users are really telling us what they think.
What do you think about these people who "cries" when somebody gives a low rate about Radiohead or criticises them? Or are you one of these cryers?
  • Visit poster's website
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 10/03/2015 17:51
  • Post subject:
I cry Because Radiohead is the best band of all time, and have all amazing album and pablo horny should be #1 on the overall, and all people that disagree are wrong, or have some problem, or shouldn't have ears, Or should just eat sand, you bunch of dadrockers that only listen to oasis and u2.

God bless you and Thom always *insert smiley faces here*

Last edited by Antonio-Pedro on 10/03/2015 18:17; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
luis721

Colombia

• Posted: 10/03/2015 17:56
  • Post subject: Bro, Radiohead is my 4th favourite band
Radiohead is my 4th favourite band, but that doesn't means that I should kill everyone who dislikes them.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 10/03/2015 18:14
  • Post subject: Re: Musical taste is never the same.
luis721 wrote:
I admire people who's got enough bravery to comment something against Radiohead, yes, those users are really telling us what they think.

Actually because of the rise of metacriticism and the parallel opinion balance, no one is telling us what they really think. It's all a carefully crafted amplification of their thoughts designed to phase cancel the hyperbole they disagree with. People do mean what they say of course, it's just always actually less.

Or not, I don't know.

But yeah the musical landscape is vast and our perspectives on it are uniquely shaped by our life experiences and the value systems we bring to it create an infinite number of perspectives and it is genuinely great. People who get mad about it need to chill.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 10/03/2015 19:08
  • Post subject:
Man, this reminds me of a Skype convo I once had with a prominent BEA'er (whose name has been removed). I hope this doesn't hurt your feelings (I don't even know if I 100% agree with what he says), but I feel like his explanation of how BEA works answers Luis's question better than anything else I can type.

Quote:
[7/21/15, 8:40:00 PM] Cool Guy: The assumption that BEA is radically against objectivity is a fucking farce
[7/21/15, 8:40:05 PM]Cool Guy s: The whole site exists to promote a single canon and follow a single trend-stream
[7/21/15, 8:40:21 PM] Cool Guy: If we didn't care about objectivity we wouldn't think JOSweetHeart's taste was so funny
[7/21/15, 8:40:30 PM] Cool Guy: We wouldn't be on a site fucking CALLED "best ever albums"
[7/21/15, 8:40:38 PM] Cool Guy: We wouldn't rank or rate each other's charts
[7/21/15, 8:40:42 PM] Cool Guy: It's complete nonsense
[7/23/15, 6:22:16 PM] Cool Guy: We say we don't believe in objectivity because that as an idea sounds cool and democratic
[7/21/15, 8:41:17 PM] Cool Guy: It's absolutely objective, we prescribe on BEA to certain musical "Truths"
[7/21/15, 8:41:56 PM] Cool Guy: It's all about cultural and social capital
[7/23/15, 6:22:40 PM]Cool Guy I just finished Let's Talk About Love and it REALLY hit me
[7/21/15, 8:43:14 PM] Cool Guy: Wilson is absolutely right
[7/21/15, 8:43:20 PM] Cool Guy: There's no defending it
[7/21/15, 8:43:29 PM] Cool Guy: BEA is a classist cesspool
[7/21/15, 8:43:55 PM] Cool Guy: We enforce our own notions of taste through the rating and ranking system on others, force them to conform or leave.
[7/21/15, 8:44:21 PM] Cool Guy: The rating system literally CONDITIONS users to like the same kind of music
[7/21/15, 8:44:29 PM] Cool Guy: Because we rate each other's tastes
[7/21/15, 8:44:54 PM] Cool Guy: "Who among us is the most tasteful?" is the real question asked by BEA
[7/21/15, 8:45:08 PM] Cool Guy: It's an internet cool kids contest
  • Visit poster's website
CubaZed

• Posted: 10/03/2015 19:12
  • Post subject:
Quote:
[7/21/15, 8:40:21 PM] Cool Guy: If we didn't care about objectivity we wouldn't think JOSweetHeart's taste was so funny

Interesting point but I'd argue people find it funny more because the sheer absurdness of how every post she makes follows the same formula that's prone to mockery. If it was purely taste we would laugh at every user with Bieber or T-Swift in their overall which we clearly don't, in fact the users here tend to ignore people with different taste (which is almost worse). The fact that people focus on JOS is only because of the 40 page thread.

Spain

• Posted: 10/03/2015 19:13
  • Post subject:
Yeah well, Justin Bieber is not the only musical act with unbearable fans. I once said that Kid A didn't sound that good to me (an opinion I still stand behind after several listens) and a couple of users almost burned me alive.
  • Visit poster's website
IForgotWhat8Was4

• Posted: 10/03/2015 22:34
  • Post subject:
I've never understood the huge hype for Radiohead. Ok Computer and In Rainbows are the only albums I like.
I honestly think that there are many albums that are WAY BETTER than any of Radioheads albums.

(chuckles) Honestly, I think Pure Heroine is better than Ok Computer Cool

Link
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/03/2015 22:51
  • Post subject:
IForgotWhat8Was4 wrote:
(chuckles) Honestly, I think Pure Heroine is better than Ok Computer Cool

Link

special snowflakes can't burn

but seriously, I'd definitely argue BEA has a bigger concentration on the subjective, I at least do. it's not that certain albums in a chart (that I'm rating) don't fit with BEA's taste but not mine if I rate it badly (or I can't take any recs from it or whatever).

this chart
Top 100 Greatest Music Albums by Exit Sense

is probably my favourite on the site because it has so much to explore, and I just love the uniqueness. if I was taking an objective stance on this I'd say "you share 1/100 with the BEA chart therefore your taste doesn't align with the supposed 'best ever albums'", so no, I disagree with the view that BEA (or its members) is mainly objective
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 10/03/2015 23:00
  • Post subject:
yeah exit sense's charts rule. also my overall does pretty ok on the ratings and it seems pretty far removed from the canon here.
  • Visit poster's website