[redacted, edited and re-redacted]

Last edited by craola on 08/09/2018 17:17; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 06/20/2016 20:01
  • Post subject: WHITE KNIGHT WHITE KNIGHT
OK. This is unnecessary, but I'm going in. I down-vote crap like this. I realize Radiohead doesn't need a white knight and that I'm not particularly qualified for the job if they even did need one.

Every few years we get another depressing reminder that a band capable of great songs instead spends endless hours dragging out a few simple bars into dreary psychedelic art pop.

For starters, this band is capable of great songs, and they prove it with this record, though that's certainly a subjective statement. Still, lines like this seem pitted against Daydreaming. While I admit, putting Daydreaming in the #2 slot makes this album feel a lot more "sprawling" than it actually is, it's not a fair analysis of the rest of the album in any sense.

The dreary psychedelic art pop nature of the song is accurate. Thom is languishing through the anguish of losing the most important person in his life, and he's letting the music itself express that sentiment, as does the accompanying video.

They seem to have so much to say, of meaning, and plenty of ability, but just no urgency, no passion, and no variation in their emotive state.

No urgency? No passion? No variety of emotive state? Surely you didn't get a chance to listen to the anger bursting out the seems in Ful Stop when Thom rails, "You've really messed up everything! Why should I be good if you're not?" or the insanity building up to that (the arpeggiator on the guitar adds a sense of absolute insanity to the picture). Did you miss the dynamic emotive state even within the same song where Thom turns from river raging into sheer regret as he longs, "All the good times...would you take me back again?" Did you not make it to True Love Waits? If you can't feel the emotion there, I don't know what you're hearing. This entire album is riddled with anger, regret, pain, depression and contemplation. Sure, there's not a lot of fake cheesy bouts of ecstasy a la "she loves me, yeah yeah yeah", but that's not something you should ever want or expect from Radiohead in the first place.

The average BPM on this album must struggle to pass 60, and most of the songs suffer for it.

Do you even know what that means? I've heard this about this album and others I've enjoyed in the past, and it leaves me dumbfounded. There's hardly a non-ambient track I can think of ever that moves that slow. For reference, the REAL BPM values throughout this album are as follows:

Burn the Witch: 149
      Daydreaming: 138
      Decks Dark: 139
      Desert Island Disk: 112
      Ful Stop: 76
      Glassy Eyes: 115
      Identikit: 151
      Numbers: 157
      Present Tense: 92
      Tinker Tailor...: 90
      True Love Waits: 136

This brings the average BPM to about 123, far above 60 (none of the tracks even approach that what are you smoking!?).

Combine this with the over-sustained instruments and random noises, randomly space, as if a man is inescapably falling asleep on top of a synthetiser...

Now you're just doped up beyond repair. What are you even talking about? Over-sustained instruments? Random noises? Randomly space?

...and it's hard listening for sure.

This part I understand. Radiohead is an acquired taste for a lot of folks. They don't grab you with immediate / catchy pop hooks that worm down your ears and never go away. That's part of the reason people like Radiohead. Now, if you're already a Radiohead fan, this is as accessible an album as they've made. There are a handful of tracks that sound like they could've been lifted on OK Computer (Decks Dark), Kid A (Daydreaming), Amnesiac (Desert Island Disk, Tinker Tailor...), Hail to the Thief (True Love Waits), In Rainbows (Present Tense, Glassy Eyes) and The King of Limbs (Ful Stop, Identikit). I think that this is the reason so many people are calling this "possibly the most accessible Radiohead album". Thank you for letting me pick on you.

Yes there is also the obligatory one good new song - burn the witch (notably played at a high tempo...)

Note: two tracks you failed to mention have notably higher tempos.

but the rest sounds like distorted B-sides played slow-mo. Where their continued popularity and rave reviews derive from, is complexing to say the least.

Again with your slow-mo objections! Did you play the record at half speed? Did you leach a bad torrent? You're clearly not listening to the same record as the rest of the "complexing" world is. I don't know what to say about the B-Sides comment. I suppose they sound like B-Sides to you, which is a valid thing to say, but for the love of Jiminy Cricket, man, stop blowing nonsense out your pie-hole about the pace of the album. It's not based in reality.

craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 06/27/2016 17:35
  • Post subject: [redacted, edited and re-redacted]

Last edited by craola on 08/09/2018 17:19; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 06/28/2016 03:11
  • Post subject: Re: WHITE KNIGHT WHITE KNIGHT
craola wrote:

the REAL BPM values throughout this album are as follows:

Burn the Witch: 149
    Daydreaming: 138
    Decks Dark: 139
    Desert Island Disk: 112
    Ful Stop: 76
    Glassy Eyes: 115
    Identikit: 151
    Numbers: 157
    Present Tense: 92
    Tinker Tailor...: 90
    True Love Waits: 136

This brings the average BPM to about 123, far above 60 (none of the tracks even approach that what are you smoking!?).[/list]

[/list]

In fairness... they may have heard the album on YouTube where people post stuff slower and you have to change the speed in YouTube to bring it back to regular speed. Dunno if that is to make it so bots can't find copyright material as fast or what...

But yeah, I liked your rebuttal regardless. And impressed you took the time to find the BPM... haha, what'd you do get a metronome and match it up?
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 06/28/2016 06:19
  • Post subject: Re: WHITE KNIGHT WHITE KNIGHT

Last edited by craola on 08/09/2018 17:19; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 06/28/2016 06:28
  • Post subject:
My Spotify Listening Project is going to be going through all these:

* see alelsupreme's note below

Last edited by craola on 08/10/2016 21:09; edited 8 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 06/28/2016 22:28
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
My Spotify Listening Project is going to be going through all these:

wooooo thanks for posting all these now I don't have to find them Very Happy
(I'm working on a similar project Wink)
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/29/2016 00:45
  • Post subject:
if you're doing that may i just say the version of "Hey Good Lookin'" in mine should be the version found on 40 Greatest Hits and not whatever version is on there.
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 06/29/2016 15:32
  • Post subject: