Pitchfork Media

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Freddie55

Canada

• Posted: 04/28/2011 02:45
  • Post subject:
I get an RSS feed to see what albums they rate. I don't read the reviews because I wouldn't be able to keep my lunch down. In terms of what Pitchfork likes, I agree about 65% of the time. Pitchfork is not my friend. They often push shit as chocolate! They don't allow readers to comment on reviews and articles and there isn't a contact link for readers to give feedback to the publication. In short, Pitchfork isn't in touch with their audience and they don't want to be.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 04/28/2011 03:00
  • Post subject:
Freddie55 wrote:
I get an RSS feed to see what albums they rate. I don't read the reviews because I wouldn't be able to keep my lunch down. In terms of what Pitchfork likes, I agree about 65% of the time. Pitchfork is not my friend. They often push shit as chocolate! They don't allow readers to comment on reviews and articles and there isn't a contact link for readers to give feedback to the publication. In short, Pitchfork isn't in touch with their audience and they don't want to be.

actually that is a very good point about not wanting to be in contact with readers/have their feedback on reviews etc you definitly feel that they don't give a shit what you think of what they write, which is a double edged sword really because I look at the user comments on stereogum etc and you have the biggest idiots stating the most moronic things and to be honest if I was running a music review site I would consider not enabling reader comments.
Postmodern_Beatnik

United States

• Posted: 04/28/2011 03:16
  • Post subject:
I use pitchfork everyday for news in the indie world Razz Sometimes they have good taste in music and other times they don't...it's a hit and miss thing. They rate all those soft folky indie albums way to high...and they try and be hip in the hip hop section, but don't succeed.

I find I get better reviews and news about new singles from the youtube channel "theneedledrop"
  • Visit poster's website
mooseboy101

Switzerland

• Posted: 04/28/2011 04:51
  • Post subject:
I remember pitchfork, by remember I mean I haven't been there in over a year, but what I remember was that there lists were awful. And they were very anal in there reviews.
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 04/28/2011 05:21
  • Post subject:
the best way to stay in touch with the indie world.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 04/28/2011 05:41
  • Post subject:
I don't like them at all (this is judging form my experiences with them 2-3 years ago.) I come here for recommendations about music, so I probably am being recommended music from Pitchfork anyway. However this site is far more interactive and personal, which I enjoy as opposed to "these are the new indie bands you should like them"

So I guess I like most of the bands the recommend, I just don't like the way they operate
ShaneSpear
Thread Killah

United States

• Posted: 04/28/2011 12:37
  • Post subject:
I moved most of my personal traffic over to TheNeedleDrop's YouTube. It's the same albums, only I find Fantano's reviews way more to my liking. I still use Pitchfork just to see what they rate the albums number-wise and to look at the "Tours" tab, and that's about it.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
bcaie16

Canada

• Posted: 04/29/2011 01:34
  • Post subject:
ShaneSpear wrote:
I moved most of my personal traffic over to TheNeedleDrop's YouTube. It's the same albums, only I find Fantano's reviews way more to my liking. I still use Pitchfork just to see what they rate the albums number-wise and to look at the "Tours" tab, and that's about it.

Never heard of TheNeedleDrop, I'll have to check it out.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/29/2011 01:36
  • Post subject:
SquishypuffDave wrote:
I like them. Although they've had their moments of awfulness:

The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute: 2.0
Tool - Lateralus: 1.9
Lady Gaga - The Fame Monster: 7.8
(the first two are by no means perfect, but they at least try to do something original)

Also, they haven't even once reviewed a Porcupine Tree album. What's the deal?

I don't like Lateralus Laughing so I'm good with that.

Overall, I like Pitchfork. Really good at scoping random indie albums that are mind-blowing, and they have fairly good critics there. I personally think this site is the best for musical review, cause it kind of combines everything together, and is a bit more accurate than the rest. I wish that Pitchfork would do a all-time albums list though Pray
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 04/29/2011 01:52
  • Post subject:
ShaneSpear wrote:

Me too. I love that guy.
  • Visit poster's website