Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 08/11/2016 16:50
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
I think limiting it to the BEA top-100 is a bad idea, for the most part I think people are too interested in talking about OK Computer or Dark Side Of The Moon for the billionth time.

I think if we made this ALC broad and said "hey just pick an album you love and we'll all listen to it and talk about it", it could be really cool, and lead to new discoveries. If we limit it to the BEA top-100, participation will likely drop off real quickly. A balance would be good.

Agreed. I like the idea of pulling an album from your personal top 100 that isn't in the overall BEA top 100. We already have "Album of the Day" threads that albummaster does all the time, and that covers a lot of territory within the top sect. I'd rather stumble across gems than rehash albums that have been talked about two thousand times by NME, Rolling Stone, Pitchfork, et al.
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 08/11/2016 17:51
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
We already have "Album of the Day" threads that albummaster does all the time, and that covers a lot of territory within the top sect. I'd rather stumble across gems than rehash albums that have been talked about two thousand times by NME, Rolling Stone, Pitchfork, et al.

Exactly my thoughts. The top-100 is often covered by the AotD threads

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
indieshins

Australia

• Posted: 08/12/2016 00:05
  • Post subject:
Also agreed. Bored of the top albums. I liked the idea of just picking an album you think is underrated and putting it up for discussion.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 08/12/2016 02:01
  • Post subject:
So do we want to keep 2016 ALC and start another that is just any album? Or help get people more interested in the ALC/Spotify project?

Also, I give two shits about what Rolling Stone has to say about a Beatles album, but I am very interested what a BEA user has to say about it and even more interested to understand why someone doesn't like a top 100 BEA album, but alas, it appears I'm alone in that venture, which is totally fine. That's why they invented ************.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 08/12/2016 11:48
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
So do we want to keep 2016 ALC and start another that is just any album? Or help get people more interested in the ALC/Spotify project?

Also, I give two shits about what Rolling Stone has to say about a Beatles album, but I am very interested what a BEA user has to say about it and even more interested to understand why someone doesn't like a top 100 BEA album, but alas, it appears I'm alone in that venture, which is totally fine. That's why they invented ************.

If somebody were to set out an initial thread outlining what they thought were some interesting ideas about certain albums that are rarely mentioned elsewhere, I'm up for discussing any album. The problem with those top albums is that so many of our views have already been discussed in the past on BEA, or are otherwise (consciously or not) informed by mainstream publications that I don't exactly see a huge amount of scope for new discussion, but I could certainly be wrong. It depends on to what extent people are willing or able to say something fresh about those canonical classics. I'd just start a thread to take nominations, pick the first eight, and put them to a poll for a couple of days. The nominee would then be responsible for setting up the thread. (Or something along those lines.) If it doesn't work, we go back to drawing board.
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 08/12/2016 12:14
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

If somebody were to set out an initial thread outlining what they thought were some interesting ideas about certain albums that are rarely mentioned elsewhere, I'm up for discussing any album. The problem with those top albums is that so many of our views have already been discussed in the past on BEA, or are otherwise (consciously or not) informed by mainstream publications that I don't exactly see a huge amount of scope for new discussion, but I could certainly be wrong. It depends on to what extent people are willing or able to say something fresh about those canonical classics. I'd just start a thread to take nominations, pick the first eight, and put them to a poll for a couple of days. The nominee would then be responsible for setting up the thread. (Or something along those lines.) If it doesn't work, we go back to drawing board.

Agreed.

Seth - if you wanna take charge of this, go for it. I'd say make an initial thread, myself or one of the other mods will sticky it, and either take nominations like Skinny mentioned, or model it after the ALC and just set up a schedule. Whatever you think works best.

Also, if we did the occasional canonical classic, that could be interesting, as long as everyone is willing to approach the album with fresh ears

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 08/12/2016 18:06
  • Post subject:
Just to get things started I'd like to nominate a cruelly underrated album namely Eroica by Wendy & Lisa. It is part of my personal top 100 chart and is rankend only 223rd in 1990 and 13836 overall. But I Do think it is an album many people can relate to and of course I'm willing to defend it if it gets nominated.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 08/12/2016 19:06
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Skinny wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

Agreed.

Seth - if you wanna take charge of this, go for it. I'd say make an initial thread, myself or one of the other mods will sticky it, and either take nominations like Skinny mentioned, or model it after the ALC and just set up a schedule. Whatever you think works best.

Also, if we did the occasional canonical classic, that could be interesting, as long as everyone is willing to approach the album with fresh ears

OK, fantastic points of view on the cannon (thanks for taking the time to say that because it helped me see where everyone is coming from) and I'm a little torn between the ALC vs the poll idea. Poll would confirm (more or less) interest, but what if nobody is interested... hahaha.

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 08/12/2016 19:32; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 08/12/2016 19:06
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
Just to get things started I'd like to nominate a cruelly underrated album namely Eroica by Wendy & Lisa. It is part of my personal top 100 chart and is rankend only 223rd in 1990 and 13836 overall. But I Do think it is an album many people can relate to and of course I'm willing to defend it if it gets nominated.

Thanks mate!

I'll go ahead and start the thread to nominate, so please update that thread in the Music forum!
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 08/12/2016 19:31
  • Post subject:
Rocky it has been posted in the Music forum. Thanks.

Also Rocky - very interested in getting the more music philosophy discussions going again... kind of felt they were lopsided at times and sometimes entire possibly discussions were never really responded to, but I liked them nonetheless. (I forget what the threads were called).
  • Visit poster's website