United States

• Posted: 11/09/2016 05:37
  • Post subject:
November 8, 2016
Return to Cookie Mountain
by TV On the Radio
I Was a Lover - 8/10
Hours - 8/10
Province - 9/10 I love the piano and how it's kind of dissonant with the rest of the instruments.
Playhouses - 8/10
Wolf Like Me - 9/10
A Method - 8/10
Let the Devil In - 7/10
Dirtywhirl - 8/10 The melody is really cool.
Blues From Down Here - 7/10
Tonight - 7/10
Wash the Day - 8/10
I liked it. It was better than their debut. But still, there's something about it that seems off. Maybe it's just because I'm completely unfamiliar with this band, so I'm not used to their style. I'll definitely listen to it some more to see if it grows on me. It's unfortunately not as good as I was hoping it would be, but I did like it. 79/100, B. Best song: Wolf Like Me.

No Cities To Love by Sleater-Kinney
Price Tag - 8/10 Really catchy but simple. I like it.
Fangless - 7/10
Surface Envy - 7/10
No Cities to Love - 8/10 Cool guitar riff.
A New Wave - 7/10
No Anthems - 8/10
Gimme Love - 7/10
Bury Our Friends - 7/10
Hey Darling - 8/10
Fade - 7/10
It's fine, but I really don't see why all the critics love it so much. It's not very original, and it's essentially the same formula for each song. Maybe I'm missing something. 74/100, C. Best song: Price Tag.

Ys by Joanna Newsom
Emily - 9/10 What a beautiful song. The harp is very peaceful while the strings add a sense of urgency and her voice gives it a unique twist.
Monkey & Bear - 8/10
Sawdust and Diamonds - 8/10 I really like what the harp is doing in the background.
Only Skin - 9/10
Cosmia - 8/10
I've listened to this album before, but that was probably about a year ago, and I don't remember a lot. With my second listen, I like it a lot. It's weird because I keep expecting a verse-chorus structure, but that's not there at all. Newsom creates her own formula for writing a song, and I don't think I've heard anything remotely like this out of all the music I've heard. 79/100, B. Best song: Emily.
  • Visit poster's website
Space-Dementia

United States

• Posted: 11/10/2016 03:13
  • Post subject:
November 9, 2016
Dear Science
by TV On the Radio
Halfway Home - 9/10 Amazing. The singing is great, and the beat is just fantastic. Will this be the best TV on the Radio album??
Crying - 8/10 I like the synths a lot.
Dancing Choose - 8/10
Stork and Owl - 8/10 Pretty string arrangement. I like this.
Golden Age - 8/10
Family Tree - 9/10
Red Dress - 7/10
Love Dog - 8/10
Shout Me Out - 8/10
Dlz - 9/10
Lover's Day - 8/10 Awesome saxes. Really cool song.
Ha! This is the TVOTR album I've been waiting for ever since I first heard of them! Desperate Youth was alright, Cookie Mountain was better, but this is their first really good album> Fantastic. They've become a bit more poppy since their debut but it's worth it because they've brought in beautiful string arrangements and catchy drum beats. I'm glad I found this band. 82/100, B. Best song: Halfway Home.

Seldom Seen Kid by Elbow
Starlings - 8/10
The Bones of You - 8/10
Mirrorball - 9/10 Always brings me back to Christmas like four years ago cause that's when I first heard it. Good memories. Great song.
Grounds For Divorce - 9/10 My friend described this song as the anthem to which an angry lesbian enters a Home Depot. I think the description fits pretty damn well.
Audience With the Pope - 8/10
Weather to Fly - 9/10 Really pretty chord progression. And I love that vocal sample that's repeated throughout the song. It's so nice.
The Loneliness of a Tower Crane Driver - 8/10 I love the title. Cool song.
The Fix - 8/10 Weird song. It's kinda creepy on one hand, but it's also so catchy.
Some Riot - 8/10
One Day Like This - 9/10 Beautiful orchestration in the background. Such a feel-good song.
Friend of Ours - 7/10
I've listened to this album a few times before but I haven't heard anything off it except Mirrorball in years, so I've returned. And it's just as good as I remember it being. Almost like post-punk-revival but with a lot more orchestral elements. This album is full of really pretty and fun songs and I've missed it dearly. 83/100, B. Best song: Mirrorball.
  • Visit poster's website
Space-Dementia

United States

• Posted: 11/11/2016 06:40
  • Post subject:
November 10, 2016
Arular
by M.I.A.
Ba-na-na Skit - N/A
Pull Up the People - 8/10
Bucky done gun - 8/10 i like the beat. Its so different than all the usual hip hop beats.
Sunshowers - 8/10
Fire fire - 8/10
Dash the curry skit - N/A
Amazon - 9/10
Bingo - 7/10
Hombre - 9/10 so catchy. This is like the predecessor to Paper Planes.
One for the head skit - N/A
10 Dollar - 8/10 WHAT CAN I GET FOR TEN DOLLAR, ANYTHING YOU WANT. I love it.
Uraqt - 7/10
Galang - 8/10
I know of M.I.A. but I haven't heard anything by her besides Paper Planes, which I love. This was good, but not excellent or anything. I really like how she mixes Middle Eastern influences with London hip hop beats, and how she's kinda half singing, half rapping. Really cool unique style, and I'm sure Kala is going to be really good. 80/100, B. Best song: Hombre.

Kala by M.I.A.
Bamboo Banga - 8/10
Birdflu - 9/10 Such a cool beat. I want to dance to it, but it also seems very different from usual dance music.
Boyz - 9/10
Jimmy - 8/10 sounds like it's straight from the 80s.
Hussel - 7/10
Mango Pickle Down River - 7/10
20 dollar - 7/10 interesting that she took lyrics from Where Is My Mind, but Ii don't really like what she does with them.
World Town - 8/10
The turn - 7/10
Xr2 - 7/10
Paper Planes - 9/10 I love this song so much. The instrumental is really beautiful until the gunshots during the chorus, which are really surprising and sound so cool within the song.
Come Around - 8/10
I was hoping the rest of the album would be as good as Paper Planes, but I was disappointed. The first three songs are great, but then it gets kind of boring in the middle and it picks up again with paper planes. Overall, I probably like Arular better as an album, although Kala has higher peaks. 78/100, B. Best song: Paper Planes

Nine Types of Light by TV On the Radio
Second Song - 8/10
Keep Your Heart - 8/10
You - 7/10 I think they kind of overdid the synths on here, but other than that it's a nice song.
No future shock - 7/10
Killer crane - 9/10 really pretty song. It slows down the album a little, which is just what it needed.
Will do - 8/10
New cannonball blues - 7/10
Repetition - 8/10
Forgotten - 8/10
Caffeinated consciousness - 8/10
I was really pleased with Dear Science, so, although this isn't nearly as good, I wasn't expecting it to be. TVOTR seem to have added a lot more synths onto this album, making it even more poppy than its predecessor. If they continue with this trend, I don't think I'm going to like Seeds very much, because Dear Science was the perfect mixture of their earlier heavier stuff and their later more pop-influenced sounds. We'll see. 78/100, B. Best song: Killer Crane.

Give up by The Postal Service
The district sleeps alone tonight - 8/10
Such great heights - 9/10 The only song on this album that I've heard before. It plays on the radio a lot, but just enough as to not get overplayed. Great song.
Sleeping In - 8/10
Nothing better - 8/10
Recycled air - 7/10
Clark gable - 8/10
We will become silhouettes - 8/10
This place is a prison - 8/10 it starts off a little weird, but once it picks up it's great.
Brand new colony - 7/10
Natural anthem - 7/10
It seems like every song on here follows the same general formula: start off really weird, throwing off the listener, but once the drums and eventually the singing comes in, the song has taken shape, with the weird sounds still in the background, but with an almost entirely different sound than the one you thought the song was going to have originally. I don't know if that makes any sense at all, but that's how I feel about it. 78/100, B. Best song: Such Great Heights.

Transatlanticism by Death Cab For Cutie
The New Year - 9/10 I love the way he sings the title of the song. It sounds so effortless and passionate at the same time.
Lightness - 7/10
Title and Registration - 8/10
Expo '86 - 8/10
The Sound of Settling - 8/10
Tiny Vessels - 8/10
Transatlanticism - 9/10 Really beautiful, especially the instrumental sections.
Passenger Seat - 8/10 The piano sounds reminiscent of Brian Eno. Really pretty.
Death of an Interior Decorator - 7/10
We Looked Like Giants - 8/10
A Lack of Color - 8/10
I listened to this album a while back, and I didn't like it. But that was at least two or three years ago, and I didn't know a lot of good music back then. I just listened to Give Up, so I decided to come back to this album, and it's so much better than I remember. I know why I didn't like it, because it's so melancholy, but it's such a beautiful feeling. Listening to this album is making me feel so tired, but also hopeful at the same time. This is a great album, and I'm going to be returning to it a lot in the future. 80/100, B. Best song: The New Year.
  • Visit poster's website
Space-Dementia

United States

• Posted: 11/13/2016 17:03
  • Post subject:
November 12, 2016
Seeds
by TV On the Radio
Quartz - 8/10 The bass defines this song. Without it the samples just sound weird, but when the bass comes in the song takes form.
Careful You - 8/10
Could You - 7/10
Happy Idiot - 8/10 Seems like a throwback to their earlier sound. One of the highlights.
Test Pilot - 8/10
Love Stained - 8/10
Ride - 8/10 I really like the harmonies on this song.
Right Now - 7/10
Winter - 7/10 I like all the distortion on the guitars, but this song doesn't really go anywhere.
Lazerray - 7/10
Trouble - 7/10
Seeds - 7/10
It's not as bad as I was led to believe. It almost sounds like a completely different band than the one that made Return to Cookie Mountain, but it's still not bad. It's just a lot more synth-y. 75/100, C. Best song: Happy Idiot.
The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me by Brand New
Sowing Season - 8/10 Hits hard. Awesome opening track.
Millstone - 8/10
Jesus - 8/10
Degausser - 7/10
Limousine (MS Rebridge) - 9/10 Beautiful. The singing is so passionate, and the guitars are excellent.
You Won't Know - 8/10 The instrumental is awesome, but I'm not a huge fan of the vocals. They sound kind of immature.
Welcome to Bangkok - 7/10
Not the Sun - 7/10
Luca - 7/10
Untitled - 7/10
The Archers Bows Have Broken - 8/10
Handcuffs - 7/10
I have very mixed feelings on this album. On one hand, the instrumentation, especially on the first half of the album, is really good. It almost sounds post-rock influenced, like Mogwai or Slint but a lot heavier. But I don't really like the singing. LOike I said in my comment on You Won't Know, they sound immature. The music sounds very beautiful and distinguished, but then the vocals bring it down in my mind. They sound like 30 Seconds to Mars or My Chemical Romance or one of those bands. If this band had a different singer, I think I would really love this album, but I can't say I love it now. It's good though. 76/100, C+. Best song: Limousine (MS Rebridge)
  • Visit poster's website
Space-Dementia

United States

• Posted: 11/14/2016 03:16
  • Post subject:
November 13, 2016
The milk-eyed mender
by Joanna Newsom
Bridges and Balloons - 9/10 Such a pretty song. This is a great introduction into the vast array of music Joanna Newsom makes.
Sprout and the Bean - 9/10
The Book of Right-On - 8/10
Sadie - 8/10
Inflammatory Writ - 7/10 The smooth, soft harp goes better with her harsh voice. I think she should lay off the piano. Not a bad song, but it would be better with the harp.
The Side of the Blue - 7/10
'En Gallop' - 8/10 It's so peaceful. Especially the outro.
Cassiopeia - 8/10
Peach, Plum, Pear - 9/10
Swansea - 7/10
Three Little Babes- 7/10
Clam, Cockle, Cowrie - 8/10
This solidifies Joanna Newsom as one of the coolest people I've ever heard of. On one hand she's similar to Sufjan Stevens and Arcade Fire and all those other baroque-pop bands, but on the other hand, there's nothing like her. She's the most unique artist I've ever heard. Her voice is shrill but beautiful. The way it goes together with the really mellow harp is unbelievable. I've never felt so eager to hear the rest of an artist's discography. I've already heard Ys, but I'm so excited for Have One On Me. Also, this is a seemingly unimportant thing, but I really love the way all the songs end with a long drawn out fade out of the last note played by the harp. She doesn't cut anything short. She'll keep the recording going until there's no more resonance coming from the harp. It's so cool. 79/100, B. Best song: Bridges and Balloons.

Tidal by Fiona Apple
Sleep to Dream - 8/10 Her voice is so deep for an 18-year-old girl. It's so unexpected.
Sullen Girl - 8/10 I love the little piano riffing going on.
Shadowboxer - 8/10
Criminal - 9/10 So good. It's jazzy, bluesy, and soulful.
Slow Like Honey - 8/10
The First Taste - 7/10
Never is a promise - 7/10
The Child is Gone - 7/10
Pale Shelter - 7/10
Carrion - 7/10
This album starts out great. The first five songs are beautiful jazz with a tinge of blues and with Apple's soulful voice keeping it all together. It starts to slow down a little startling with The First Taste, but the last five songs aren't bad either. I didn't know what to expect with Fiona Apple, but this was definitely a very pleasant surprise. I'm excited to hear the rest of her work. 76/100, C. Best song: Criminal.
  • Visit poster's website
Space-Dementia

United States

• Posted: 11/15/2016 03:51
  • Post subject:
November 14, 2016
When the Pawn...
by Fiona Apple
On the Bound - 8/10 it's a cool idea, but she doesn't really go anywhere with it.
To Your Love - 8/10
Limp - 9/10 I love the drums on here.
Love Ridden - 7/10
Paper Bag - 8/10
A Mistake - 8/10
Fast As You Can - 7/10
The Way Things Are - 8/10
Get Gone - 8/10
I Know - 8/10 such a pretty ending. I love how well the strings go with the jazzy piano.
I like it more than her debut, but not by much. This is great jazz-pop from Fiona Apple, but I'm still waiting for something that will blow my mind like I was expecting her music to do. I still have The Idler Wheel though, so maybe that will do it. 79/100, B. Best Song: Limp.

Dry by PJ Harvey
Oh My Lover - 8/10
O Stella - 7/10
Dress - 8/10
Victory - 7/10
Happy and Bleeding- 7/10
Sheela-Na-Gig - 7/10
Hair - 7/10
Joe - 7/10
Plants and Rags - 7/10
Fountain - 8/10
Water - 8/10
I haven't listened to anything by PJ Harvey yet, and this was an interesting introduction. It's really dirty blues-y rock, and it's alright, but there's just not enough creativity in the songwriting for my liking. 74/100, C. Best Song: Dress.

We Got It From Here... Thank You 4 Your Service by A Tribe Called Quest
The Space Program - 9/10 Yes, what a throwback! I haven't heard music like this by Tribe since Midnight Marauders. Excellent instrumental, and the samples they use are, as always, sublime.
We The People... - 9/10 The lyrics are really straightforward, which makes the chorus a little cheesy, but I love the politically charged themes. It's really relevant at the time it's being released.
Whateva Will Be - 8/10
Solid Wall of Sound - 7/10
Dis Generation - 9/10 Beautiful. When other rappers are out there dissing each other and trying to show each other off to be proclaimed as the greatest, Tribe writes a song about how great today's rappers are.
Kids... - 7/10
Melatonin - 8/10
Enough!! - 8/10
Mobius - 7/10
Black Spasmodic - 8/10
The Killing Season - 7/10
Lost Somebody - 8/10 A beautiful dedication to Phife Dawg. RIP.
Movin Backwards - 7/10
Conrad Tokyo - 8/10 A great verse from Kendrick.
Ego - 7/10
The Donald - 8/10
I loved The Low End Theory and Midnight Marauders, and their other three albums were fine, so I wasn't sure what to expect with this album. Add the fact that a lot of bands don't really have very good comebacks, and I was starting to get a bit nervous. But after giving it a listen, I like it a lot. It's not as good as their two best albums, but it's probably their third best album. It's a shame that Phife Dawg couldn't live to see his final album's release, but Q-Tip pays tribute to his other half beautifully, with help from longtime Tribe collaborator, Busta Rhymes. I like how they tackle political issues that they haven't really explored too much in the past. It's a little too literal at times, but it's still a very timely release. The second half isn't as strong as the first half, but it still holds together to the end. I'm glad Tribe released this album, because it serves as such a perfect ending to their excellent career. 78/100, B. Best song: The Space Program.
  • Visit poster's website
Space-Dementia

United States

• Posted: 11/16/2016 04:32
  • Post subject:
November 15, 2016
This is a Long Drive For Someone With Nothing To Think About
by Modest Mouse
Dramamine - 9/10 I really like the guitar riff, so the outro is great.
Breakthrough - 7/10 I'm not a big fan of his voice, and I think that's why I haven't been able to get into them. The instrumentals are cool, though.
Custom Concern - 8/10
Might - 7/10
Lounge - 8/10 I like the last few minutes. It's so peaceful but kind of weird at the same time.
Beach Side Property - 8/10
The ionizes and atomizes - 7/10
Head south - 7/10
Dog Paddle - 7/10
Novocain Stain - 8/10
Tundra/Desert - 8/10
Ohio - 9/10
Exit Does Not Exist - 7/10
Talking Shit About a Pretty Sunset - 8/10
Make Everyone Happy/Mechanical Birds - 8/10
Space Travel Is Boring - 7/10
After half-heartedly listening to a few Modest Mouse albums, I've decided to go back to the beginning and go through their whole discography. I've realized that what turns me off from this band is the singing style. I usually like the instrumentals, just not the singing that goes with it. However, I tried to look past that on this album, and I ended up liking it more than I thought I would. 77/100, C+. Best Song: Dramamine

Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde by Tha Pharcyde
4 Better or 4 Worse (Interlude) - N/A
Oh Shit - 9/10 I love this. It's like if A Tribe Called Quest took themselves even less seriously.
It's Jigaboo Time (Skit) - N/A
4 Better or 4 Worse - 8/10
I'm That Type of Nigga - 9/10 The hook is so catchy! This is so good.
If I Were President (Skit) - N/A
Soul Flower (Remix) - 8/10 I can't stop laughing at the way the guy at the end goes
"sounds like NS to me!" So hilarious.
On the DL - 7/10
Pack the Pipe (Interlude) - N/A
Officer - 8/10
Ya Mama - 8/10
Passing Me By - 9/10
Otha Fish - 8/10
Quinton's On His Way (Skit) - 8/10 This is honestly one of the funniest skits I've ever heard on a rap album.
Return of the B-Boy - 8/10
This is so great. The Pharcyde mix the jazz rap of A Tribe Called Quest with some of the funniest raps I've ever heard. It's not very often that I laugh through an entire an album, but this was one of those albums. 82/100, B. Best Song: Oh Shit.

Doggystyle by Snoop Doggy Dogg
Bathtub - N/A
G Funk Intro - 8/10
Gin and Juice - 9/10 Really funky.
Tha Shiznit - 9/10 I love that flute sample so much.
Lodi Dodi - 8/10
Murder Was the Case - 8/10
Serial Killa - 8/10
Who Am I (What's My Name)? - 9/10
For All My Niggaz and Bitches - 8/10
Ain't No Fun (If the Homies Can't Have None) - 8/10
Doggy Dogg World - 8/10
Gz and Hustlas - 8/10
Pump Pump - 8/10
I don't know too much about rap, but I don't think this album is like super innovative or anything, it's just a bunch of great rap songs. There's not a single song I would skip on here, and I'm expecting it to grow a lot on me as I listen to it more. 83/100, B. Best Song: Gin and Juice.
  • Visit poster's website
Space-Dementia

United States

• Posted: 11/17/2016 03:44
  • Post subject:
November 16, 2016
The Lonesome Crowded West
by Modest Mouse
Teeth Like God's Shoeshine - 9/10
Heart Cooks Brain - 8/10 Really cool lyrics in this song. I love "My brain's the cliff and my heart's the bitter buffalo."
Convenient Parking - 7/10
Lounge (Closing Time) - 8/10
Jesus Christ Was an Only Child - 7/10
Doin' the Cockroach - 8/10
Cowboy Dan - 9/10 Heart-wrenching lyrics. "Every time you think you're walking, you're just moving the ground. Every time you think you're talking, you're just moving your mouth. Every time you think you're looking, you're just looking down."
Trailer Trash - 9/10
Out Of Gas - 8/10
Long Distance Drunk - 7/10
Shit Luck - 7/10
Trucker's Atlas - 7/10 I like it, but I really don't see a reason why it has to go on for ten minutes.
Polar Opposites - 8/10
Bankrupt on Selling - 8/10
Styrofoam Boots/It's All Nice On Ice, Alright - 9/10 Man those drums scared the shit out of me when they first came in, but they're so good.
I first listened to this album and Moon & Antarctica without really looking at the lyrics, but as I researched Modest Mouse more I realized that they're more of a lyrics band than a music band. So this time I had the lyrics to all the songs up in another tab, and I read as I listened. This was a completely different experience for me, and I'll do the same for all their albums. 79/100, B. Best song: Cowboy Dan.

A Seat at the Table by Solange
Rise - 8/10
Weary - 8/10
interlude: The Glory is in You - N/A
Cranes In the Sky - 9/10 I love the psychedelic little fills on the keyboards.
Interlude: Dad Was Mad - N/A
Mad - 9/10 Really cool harmonies during the chorus.
Don't You Wait - 8/10
Interlude: Tina Taught Me - N/A
Don't Touch My Hair - 8/10
This Moment - N/A
Where Do We Go - 7/10
Interlude: For Us By Us - N/A
F.U.B.U. - 7/10
Borderline (An Ode to Self Care) - 8/10
Interlude: I Got So Much magic, You can Have It - N/A
Junie - 7/10
No Limits - N/A
Don't Wish Me Well - 8/10
Interlude: Pedestals - N/A
Scales - 7/10
Closing: The Chosen Ones - N/A
If you're looking for Lemonade Part 2, you won't find it here. Where Beyoncé goes for the "big" sound, bending genres and elaborately experimenting while still remaining in the realm of pop, Solange more or less sticks to one sound throughout the album, but it's a good one. She sings beautiful slow psychedelic soulful R&B songs about oppression and beauty, and, while it's not as good as Lemonade, Solange still manages to make one of the better albums of 2016. 78/100, B. Best Song: Cranes in the Sky.

Extraordinary Machine by Fiona Apple
Extraordinary Machine - 8/10 Whoa. It kind of sounds like something Tom Waits would do, except with a completely different voice.
Get Him Back - 9/10 I love this so much. The piano chords are beautifully unpredictable.
O'Sailor - 8/10
Better Version of Me - 8/10
Tymps (The Sick in the Head Song) - 7/10
Parting Gift - 7/10
Window - 7/10
Oh Well - 7/10
Please Please Please - 7/10
Red Red Red - 7/10
Not About Love - 8/10
Waltz (Better Than Fine) - 8/10
This isn't as consistent as When The Pawn..., but I think it's better than Tidal, just barely. She doesn't seem to be growing her sound too much, which is fine since the sound she's made for herself is really unique and interesting. So far I've liked her first three albums, but I haven't really fallen in love with any of them. I hope that happens with The Idler Wheel, but I kind of doubt it because of how similar the ones I've heard sound. I'll listen to it tomorrow, though, and see what I think. 76/100, C+. Best Song: Get Him Back.
  • Visit poster's website
Space-Dementia

United States

• Posted: 11/18/2016 03:19
  • Post subject:
November 17, 2016
Have One On Me
by Joanna Newsom
Easy - 8/10
Have One On Me - 9/10 The part about 8-and-a-half minutes in where she harmonizes with herself is so beautiful.
81 - 8/10
Good Intentions Paving Company - 9/10 I really like the jazzy feel she has going
here.
No Provenance - 8/10
Baby Birch - 9/10 That quiet guitar accompanying her is so amazing.
On a Good Day - 7/10
You and Me, Bess - 8/10
In California - 9/10
Jackrabbits - 8/10
Go Long - 8/10
Occident - 7/10
Soft as Chalk - 8/10
Esme - 8/10
Autumn - 8/10 During the really slow, quiet parts I found myself leaning towards a 7, but then, a beautiful explosion of sound would bring it back to an 8.
Ribbon Bows - 7/10
Kingfisher - 9/10
Does Not Suffice - 8/10
The voice! It's so different! It's interesting, though; after listening to her first two albums I was thinking that, although I liked them, i would like them even more
if her voice was different, but now that I'm hearing Have One On Me, with her completely different voice, it's really not that much better. I could probably show my friends some songs off this album and get some good reactions, but if I showed them Emily, or Sawdust and Diamonds, everyone's initial reaction would be "ew what is her voice?" And although on one hand I'm not able to share my love of her music with anyone I know, on the other hand it's like she's my little secret. And it's really great to have a secret. All that being said though, it still is fun to hear how different she sounds on this album. There's so much more going on than on her first two albums, especially with the more jazzy tracks. It's not necessarily better than Ys, but I do think it's better than her debut. Now that I think about it, it's actually so difficult to choose between this and Ys. Someone in the comment section said it best: Ys has this beautiful, magical, otherworldly sound that's unlike anything else, even if her voice can be a bit much, but Have One On Me is so much more down to earth, even though it has so much more than just a harp , strings, and her voice on it. They're both great, but it's so hard to choose which one's better. This is also one of the few very long albums that I really do like. A lot of long albums, like the white album and the wall, have some amazing songs but also a lot of boring filler, but Have One On Me doesn't have a single uninteresting song. Even the lesser songs have something unique to offer. Plus, the length allows me to come back to it often and still be surprised, rather than knowing all of it by heart, cause that's kind of hard to do with a two-hour long album. 81/100, B. Best song: Good Intentions Paving Company. (Also, I've updated Ys's rating to an 81 and it's probably gonna rise again soon).
  • Visit poster's website
Space-Dementia

United States

• Posted: 11/29/2016 04:54
  • Post subject:
November 28, 2016
The Seer
by Swans
Lunacy - 9/10 I really like the singing on here. After Soundtracks for the Blind, I really wasn't expecting a lot of vocals from Swans, so this was a pleasant surprise.
Mother of the World - 8/10 I'm not a fan of the vocals in the first half, but the outdo is really nice.
The Wolf - 7/10
The Seer - 8/10 Yeah, it's a 30-minute song, which is a huge accomplishment for a songwriter, but most of it is just repetition of one chord over and over. It's a cool song, and Gira keeps interesting by adding a bunch of layers over it, but it's really a pretty simple song.
The Seer Returns - 8/10
93 Ave. Blues - 7/10
The Daughter Brings the Water - 7/10
Song for a Warrior - 8/10
A Piece of the Sky - 8/10 Hmm this is really interesting. The first half is just instrumental and the second half is almost a completely different song. It's good, and I'm gonna come back to it later cause I think it's gonna grow on me.
The Apostate - 7/10
I was expecting so much from this album. I already heard Aoundtracks for the Blind, and I liked it, but it just didn't really make that much of an impact on me. Still though, I had read all the reviews for The Seer, so I was expecting it to be like Lift Your Skinny Fists, but angrier and scarier, a sound that I thought I was ready to hear. But I was wrong. It's not that I didn't like The Seer, it's just that I don't understand it as much as I thought or hoped I would. Lunacy is a great song, but I just get confused during the album's longer songs, like the title track, A Piece of the Sky, and The Apostate. The drony ambient sounds put me in a trance and take me away, but once I'm back to real life, I just get bored. And I know it's lazy to say you get bored when you're listening to music, but I really do. During The Apostate, I couldn't wait for the song to end, which was a weird feeling. I'm definitely going to be returning to this album as I listen to moremusic and become more mature as a music-listener, but for now I think the rating I've given it is fair. 77/100, C+. Best Song: Lunacy.
  • Visit poster's website