Winter's Gate by Insomnium

(nominated by Graeme2)

<Poll will close in one week>
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 11/13/2016 18:42
  • Post subject:
One of the most iconic doom metal albums ever recorded versus second wave melodic death at arguably its finest. Another difficult choice even without going into it— but ultimately I love Candlemass at their worst better than I do with Insomnium at their best so ultimately this is a pretty simple vote for me.
  • Visit poster's website
Exist-en-ciel

• Posted: 11/13/2016 19:56
  • Post subject:
The importance of Winter's Gate in my own musical culture is great. No album of metal (of any kind) had previously managed to achieve such a high level of appreciation in me. The love I have for this album over the last two months has allowed me to free myself from the prejudices and resistances I still had towards metal music in general, and in the wake of this tournament, gaven me the enthusiasm of plunging seriously myself into metal music.

Without taking anything away from the qualities of Nightfall, Winter's Gate is currently an (almost) unrivaled metal album for me.
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/13/2016 20:11
  • Post subject:
Yeah winters gate has been an important album to me this year too in what has turned out to be a year of metal discovery. I did enjoy candlemass but the vocal was kind of off putting at first, though once you get used to it you realise it does fit the music. Though by the end it did grate a bit. There was one track (5 I think) that stood out a mile and the rest wasn't as good as that. Still solid though. Overall easy pick.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 11/14/2016 08:15
  • Post subject:
Once again it's a classic that I've known for years against another first timer. After listening to them back to back, I think they're both great, but my love of death metal trumps my love of doom metal so shockingly I think I gotta give it to the new BEA find which will likely wind up pretty high on my 2016 list next time I update it. I'll definitely be looking into more Insomnium.

Speaking of 2016, I popped my head in the 2016 albums thread at the right time to catch RockyRaccoon recommending this. I see Graeme2 is one of only a couple to have given it any attention but it's pretty bangin post black metal...

Home by Numenorean
  • Visit poster's website
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/14/2016 08:55
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
Once again it's a classic that I've known for years against another first timer. After listening to them back to back, I think they're both great, but my love of death metal trumps my love of doom metal so shockingly I think I gotta give it to the new BEA find which will likely wind up pretty high on my 2016 list next time I update it. I'll definitely be looking into more Insomnium.

Speaking of 2016, I popped my head in the 2016 albums thread at the right time to catch RockyRaccoon recommending this. I see Graeme2 is one of only a couple to have given it any attention but it's pretty bangin post black metal...

Home by Numenorean

I'm still discovering metal so I couldn't really say what year was a great year for the genre, however Ive been finding many really top quality metal albums released this year. Also I'm loving how metal is incorporating different genres to exciting ends at the moment. Yes i reckon this is another great one from this year, good shout. Actually i was going to only include 2016 albums on this tournament at one point.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 11/14/2016 09:07
  • Post subject:
Well I'm glad you chose the one you did. Regardless of if it makes the next round I'm still very glad I heard it and may not have otherwise.
  • Visit poster's website
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 11/14/2016 23:11
  • Post subject:
I had pretty low expectation for Nightfall, given that I listened to Epicus Doomus Metallicus a few months ago and found it largely unexciting and too melodramatic for my tastes. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I enjoyed Nightfall a lot more - the vocals still aren't my favorite and the lyrics are still a little cringe-worthy, but I think that's to be expected with this type of doom metal. I expect to come back to this one in the future.

My vote goes to Insomnium though - I love metal albums with this type of wintery feel and I'm a sucker for albums whose songs blend together. Add to that exciting metal riffs and a nice mixture of clean/growled vocals and you've got my favorite discovery from this tournament so far.
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 11/15/2016 17:24
  • Post subject:
I didn't expect this to be such a hard choice for me. Both are great albums. Though I have to give my vote to Nightfall. Winter's Gate blew me away in the first half, but kind of lost steam during the second half.
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 11/15/2016 17:38
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:

Home by Numenorean

Heyyyy I'm glad you liked it, I thought it was fantastic

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website