Dumb Things You've Said About Music

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 07/01/2011 21:19
  • Post subject:
I once, when I was a very young boy, believed that the song "Let It Be" had to do with The Clash.

...I'm not totally sure why.
  • Visit poster's website
bcaie16

Canada

• Posted: 07/02/2011 03:14
  • Post subject:

That about sums it up.
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 07/03/2011 01:40
  • Post subject:
bcaie16 wrote:

That about sums it up.

Question

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 07/03/2011 01:42
  • Post subject:
itsit wrote:
I used to think that there was absolutely nothing redeemable about modern music and that Rap was shit.

And Question

What is stupid about that Shocked

• Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 07/03/2011 01:43
  • Post subject:
Quote:
If you just give it a chance, you'll find that Hannah Montana 2: Meet Miley Cyrus is just as good of a double album as the Wall

Laughing

I love this one Very Happy

• Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 07/03/2011 02:01
  • Post subject:
When I was a teenager in the mid-late 80's and rap or hip hop was first coming into its own, and was starting to permeate the charts, I dismissed it entirely and said, "Rap is not music."

I regret that, and have since learned what an ignorant statement that was. Embarassed d'oh!

Although it's still not my favorite genre to listen to, I do like some of it. Surprised
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 07/03/2011 02:34
  • Post subject:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
When I was a teenager in the mid-late 80's and rap or hip hop was first coming into its own, and was starting to permeate the charts, I dismissed it entirely and said, "Rap is not music."

I regret that, and have since learned what an ignorant statement that was. Embarassed d'oh!

Although it's still not my favorite genre to listen to, I do like some of it. Surprised

I can relate Mr. Shankly. But in our defense, we grew up listening to bands who played guitars and there were drum solo's and guitar solo's and more times than not there wasn't even any keyboards.

To be honest I have, and to a certain extent, I still am redefining what "music" is and is not.

Hey, I'm just an old hippie what can I say Embarassed

• Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 07/03/2011 02:41
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

I can relate Mr. Shankly. But in our defense, we grew up listening to bands who played guitars and there were drum solo's and guitar solo's and more times than not there wasn't even any keyboards.

To be honest I have, and to a certain extent, I still am redefining what "music" is and is not.

You're speaking for yourself on that second part, Gary. You're a child of the 70's and I'm more a child of the 80's so I think there's a slight difference in what we like in music. You can keep your guitar and drum solos. I'm more of a believer in the punk ethos of less is more, and don't bore us, get to the chorus.

I suppose in a way, early hip hop / rap was similar to punk in its stripped down DIY approach. Here's an amazing fact: New York was an incredible place in the 70's. While punk was being born downtown, hip hop was happening uptown. Both forms of music that would have a profound impact on what was to come next were evolving more or less simultaneously in the same city! Applause
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 07/03/2011 03:06
  • Post subject:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
GARY wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

You're speaking for yourself on that second part, Gary. You're a child of the 70's and I'm more a child of the 80's so I think there's a slight difference in what we like in music. You can keep your guitar and drum solos. I'm more of a believer in the punk ethos of less is more, and don't bore us, get to the chorus.

I suppose in a way, early hip hop / rap was similar to punk in its stripped down DIY approach. Here's an amazing fact: New York was an incredible place in the 70's. While punk was being born downtown, hip hop was happening uptown. Both forms of music that would have a profound impact on what was to come next were evolving more or less simultaneously in the same city! Applause

Personally, I liked what happened with music in Seattle in the late 80's on into the mid nineties. Furthermore, maybe rap was big where you were in the mid 80's but in the places I lived nobody listened to rap.

I and my band mates and musician friends watched in horror as rap dig get huge for we saw 2 guys with microphones and another guy spinning albums and people went wild for it but it was a slap in the face to us and others who had practiced playing instruments, training voices, writing songs and lugging gear from gig to gig etc.

Do you play any instruments ?

Do you know how fucking hard it is to play a guitar, drums, piano, bass, or write a good song?

Well, I do. So yes, I have a grudge against rap and hip hop. To me hip hop is still a toy I had when a child.

Do not worry, I do not include you in being able to relate to me now that I rethink it. I was really just trying to agree with you about SOMETHING for Chrizzzakes.

You probably will never know how people like me feel. It reminds me of a movie I saw long ago about Paul Bunyan and his ax. he was the greatest lumberjack ever and then one day some guy comes along with a new invention. The chainsaw. And it no longer mattered that Paul Bunyan was the greatest lumberjack of all time. He was now obsolete.

• Visit poster's website
Le_Samurai

• Posted: 07/03/2011 03:15
  • Post subject:
I used to hate all rap. And then I discovered Public Enemy and I quickly changed my mine.