Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 07/04/2011 00:04
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
GARY wrote:

It would be interesting to see how a rap instrumental would fair against a YES, RUSH, or Iron Maiden instrumental.

um subjectively - just like music with vocals, would be my guess.

O.K. Jhereko, then you are saying that the actual music (not vocals) in rap is better than that of say RUSH.

So the rap instruments (sounds, blips, burps, etc.) are better than the RUSH instruments (drums,bass,guitar,keys)

Please tell me that you are joking or just defending rap to the point of fantasy or just admit that you are none other than

Kangaroo Boy Very Happy

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 07/04/2011 00:06
  • Post subject:
40footwolf wrote:
They wouldn't "fare" at all-that's as nonsensical asking how a bicycle would fare against a pelican. They're so wildly different that comparing them and asking "which is better" is borderline absurd.

O, here we go again with the "not fair to compare" rhetoric on a site called Best Ever Albums

Laughing

• Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 07/04/2011 00:07
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
Jhereko wrote:
GARY wrote:

It would be interesting to see how a rap instrumental would fair against a YES, RUSH, or Iron Maiden instrumental.

um subjectively - just like music with vocals, would be my guess.

O.K. Jhereko, then you are saying that the actual music (not vocals) in rap is better than that of say RUSH.

So the rap instruments (sounds, blips, burps, etc.) are better than the RUSH instruments (drums,bass,guitar,keys)

I never said anything of the sort
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 07/04/2011 00:12
  • Post subject:
It's not that it's "not fair", it's that it's a stupid comparison. Let's see if we can phrase this another way and try to make you understand:

"I wonder how a Rush instrumental would fare against a piece by Wagner."

They're not comparable-they're different instruments, different styles of music, different everything. If we're going to make a strictly technical comparison, Wagner completely annihilates Rush in every aspect, but again, it's a bad comparison because Rush and Wagner don't have the same goals as musicians and aren't trying to make the same types of music, aren't trying to convey the same things with their music, etc.

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 07/04/2011 00:23
  • Post subject:
40footwolf wrote:
It's not that it's "not fair", it's that it's a stupid comparison. Let's see if we can phrase this another way and try to make you understand:

They're not comparable-they're different instruments, different styles of music, different everything. If we're going to make a strictly technical comparison, Wagner completely annihilates Rush in every aspect, but again, it's a bad comparison because Rush and Wagner don't have the same goals as musicians and aren't trying to make the same types of music, aren't trying to convey the same things with their music, etc.

Besides, hip-hop isn't meant to be listened to without lyrics , and for the most part, neither is prog. So I don't understand the logic in this argument Rolling Eyes If you're comparing the talent of the instruments, compared to a sampler or drum-machine, it really is two different talents. Sure, some hip-hop artists/ groups use real drums, but the drummer often isn't credited anyways. One thing I will say (against me) is that ,could Bonham, Bruford, Ulrich or Paice make a weak hip-hop instrumental? Sure. But could say, Eminem, Kanye, or Nas make a weak prog-rock instrumental? Probably not, and if they did, it probably wouldn't be very good.
Wombi

• Posted: 07/04/2011 00:25
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
40footwolf wrote:

Besides, hip-hop isn't meant to be listened to without lyrics , and for the most part, neither is prog. So I don't understand the logic in this argument Rolling Eyes If you're comparing the talent of the instruments, compared to a sampler or drum-machine, it really is two different talents. Sure, some hip-hop artists/ groups use real drums, but the drummer often isn't credited anyways. One thing I will say (against me) is that ,could Bonham, Bruford, Ulrich or Paice make a weak hip-hop instrumental? Sure. But could say, Eminem, Kanye, or Nas make a weak prog-rock instrumental? Probably not, and if they did, it probably wouldn't be very good.

ok im sorry hayden that makes very little sense
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 07/04/2011 00:29
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
40footwolf wrote:

It's an interesting question since both would require programming of some sort, and in that case they could probably both fill each other's roles-someone like Dr. Dre could certainly compose a crummy prog number as well as Bruford could crap out a bad hip-hop backing track, but again, they're disciplines that are entirely irrelevant towards one another for the most part.

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 07/04/2011 00:29
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
One thing I will say (against me) is that ,could Bonham, Bruford, Ulrich or Paice make a weak hip-hop instrumental? Sure. But could say, Eminem, Kanye, or Nas make a weak prog-rock instrumental? Probably not, and if they did, it probably wouldn't be very good.

I don't think that is a good argument against hip-hop. Musical greatness should not be judged on how difficult it is to make. If it sounds good, then it's good.
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 07/04/2011 00:30
  • Post subject:
O.K. thank's for helping me understand more about rap and hip hop Very Happy

I haven't listened to much of it to REALLY talk about it. I do like Eminem and also a fair amount of the old school rap which, IMO, had very good lyrics.

• Visit poster's website
mooseboy101

Switzerland

• Posted: 07/04/2011 00:32
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
I do like Eminem

Oh Jesus d'oh! somebody give this man the entire discography from A Tribe Called Quest.