The USA Police Force

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 08/01/2011 22:44
  • Post subject: The USA Police Force
I have heard a lot of stories of police brutality recently, almost all of which is coming from the USA. Now I understand that there will be some police officers in every country who abuse their powers and the USA is going to have stricter laws for the police as it has more freedom in comparison to many nations around the globe. These could be isolated stories or people cherry picking what they can find. Maybe in the 70's and 80's there was much more police brutality and there has been a vast decrease in such cases since then. I don't know. I'm not an expert on that.

What I do know is that I'm hearing much more stories now. Ones where mentally disabled men get tazered, people getting beaten at memorials, one man shot dead by a police man after he walked out of a shop carrying alcohol (police claim he was buying it for youngsters outside but he denied it), elderly get tasered and this week... an 8 year old boy shot a dozen times for whatever reason the officer had...

Back in 2008 and 2009 I never heard anything like this. Was this going on then? Is it because of the blogs I use now that I can hear about this? They are constantly warning me these horror stories will go unreported because this year something called an "Eavesdropping Law" has been passed which means that people will get in a lot of trouble if they are caught taping police activity.

I can only observe. So to the people living in the USA, what is going on with the Police over there? Have you noticed an increase in these stories regarding the police? Do you feel worried at all? Do you think it is the some anti authority groups taking isolated cases and blowing things out of proportion?
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 08/01/2011 22:49
  • Post subject:
No increase in police corruption here. You may be getting information from different sources than before. No need to worry about the few bad stories, they are rare and handled appropriately. We are not a police state.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 08/02/2011 00:29
  • Post subject: Re: The USA Police Force
an_outlaw wrote:
I have heard a lot of stories of police brutality recently, almost all of which is coming from the USA. Now I understand that there will be some police officers in every country who abuse their powers and the USA is going to have stricter laws for the police as it has more freedom in comparison to many nations around the globe. These could be isolated stories or people cherry picking what they can find. Maybe in the 70's and 80's there was much more police brutality and there has been a vast decrease in such cases since then. I don't know. I'm not an expert on that.

What I do know is that I'm hearing much more stories now. Ones where mentally disabled men get tazered, people getting beaten at memorials, one man shot dead by a police man after he walked out of a shop carrying alcohol (police claim he was buying it for youngsters outside but he denied it), elderly get tasered and this week... an 8 year old boy shot a dozen times for whatever reason the officer had...

Back in 2008 and 2009 I never heard anything like this. Was this going on then? Is it because of the blogs I use now that I can hear about this? They are constantly warning me these horror stories will go unreported because this year something called an "Eavesdropping Law" has been passed which means that people will get in a lot of trouble if they are caught taping police activity.

I can only observe. So to the people living in the USA, what is going on with the Police over there? Have you noticed an increase in these stories regarding the police? Do you feel worried at all? Do you think it is the some anti authority groups taking isolated cases and blowing things out of proportion?

Yes it is true outlaw, but the cop lovers and people with their heads in the sand will try to convince you otherwise.

It's just like the morons saying that "There is no problem on the southern border of the U.S. Shocked

These are people who live on the east coast or midwest typically Rolling Eyes

What I say to ALL of them is

Go stand near the border and say that shit gringo

Fucking morons Laughing

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 08/02/2011 03:01
  • Post subject:
And on a less hysterical note:

There probably isn't much of a difference in police brutality or police corruption compared to a while ago. We have to remember that news travel much faster now than just a few short years back and all press, the established media corporations as well as the random internet user, prefer stories that stick out to "11 o'clock and all is calm". There have always been bad apples in the police force and will always continue to be, but as I have said before, the only people I know who complain about police brutality and screams that the police are pigs are those who should have problems with the police. Every single encounter I have had with the police, as well as every single encounter I have had reported to me first hand by other half-decent, half-intelligent people, there has been no reason to complain about their conduct. On the other hand I know a drug dealer who is still convinced that the police keep pulling her over just because she is black and because they are all fascist pigs. I have tried to tell her that maybe, just maybe, it is because she is a drug dealer but to no avail. She also claims that every time she is pulled over they treat her as shit and I have tried to tell her that maybe, just maybe, that is because every time they do she starts screaming something along the lines of "What the fuck do you want this time?" before they even have a chance to open their mouths.

These are people that put their lives on the line every day, and most of them deserve a lot more respect than they get in certain circles. That circumstance also explains why they sometimes overreact when faced with a situation where the other party is not cooperating.
  • Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 08/02/2011 17:20
  • Post subject: Re: The USA Police Force
an_outlaw wrote:

I came across this law in a news report about a court case in Chicago today. Turns out the eavesdropping law has been in place in Illinois since 1961 and it is a Class 1 Felony (4-15 years in the pen, same as criminal sexual assault and possession of more than 15 grams of heroin, coke or acid) to make an audio recording of a police officer (and some other figures of authority) without their consent, and a Class 4 Felony (1-3 years, same as stalking) to tape Average Joe. It is also illegal to use information obtained from such a recording for any purpose even if you didn't make the recording yourself.

So...a law that probably should be questioned, but nothing new (of course, it might be new in whichever state your report came from).
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 08/02/2011 23:51
  • Post subject:
Thanks for the infomation! I'll say if I see anything further come up.
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 08/03/2011 03:07
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
Thanks for the infomation! I'll say if I see anything further come up.

I have some "information" for you from the real world of tell it like it is not how ones wishes that it be.

The police are supposed to "protect and serve" the people. many do so with honor. But far to many DO NOT. The system that controls the cops is a large part of the problem. People trust the police just like they trust the government in general. Blindly and with no good reason to do so.

Only a true 100% foolish moron would defend the current situation we have in the U.S. with law enforcement from the local level on up to the federal level. The U.S. feds were CAUGHT and also ADMITTED to

SELLING AND SHIPPING WEAPONS TO DRUG LORDS IN MEXICO Shocked

THAT IS A FACT AND YOU CAN TAKE THAT ONE TO DA BANK Not talking

In my neck of the woods they arrest people every day and actually put them in jail (which charges you $50.00 a day for every day your in it) for

Expired license plates or drivers license
Sleeping in public
Panhandling
Painting a house etc. without a permit
Open container
And a whole lotta other BULLSHIT Evil or Very Mad

Also, cops have been denying forever that they "do not have arrest quotas"

BULLLLLLLSHIIIT Evil or Very Mad

They absolutely DO Exclamation

Here is the fun part. They don't give a rat's ass if you are guilty or not.

THEY JUST NEED TO GET THEIR QUOTA OF ARRESTS Evil or Very Mad

Look, Bork is of course going to come on here and try to dispute this because he has some kind of friken GARY MADE A POST HOTLINE ALERT in his shack in Illinois like he always does.

But I am TELLING YOU LIKE IT IS from the Joe 6 pack, average citizen point of view. Sure if one has wealth or connections or can afford a good attorney they will say that I'm wrong and paranoid etc. blah blah blah fucking blah Rolling Eyes

Just one more tid bit is just consider the FACT that the U.S. incarcerates FAAAAR more people at any given time than ANY OTHER NATION IN THE WORLD.

I'm just going to stop here cuz I'm getting real pissed about this subject and could do a good long post about how America IS A POLICE STATE but I will not at this time. Though I have posted a fair amount of information on BEA about the subject already.

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 08/03/2011 13:07
  • Post subject:
Quota of arrests!? Is this something that has been done in the US?

I heard how in the New York state how child proctection services were given quotas and the one which got the most children away from bad homes was given an award. What was implemented with the desire to protect children turned into a complete nightmare with some bad people trying and suceeding in taking children for an little reason or less.

If you put a quota on arrests, even if it is done with a well meaning purpose, I can see how it easily turns into something very bad.
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 08/03/2011 14:30
  • Post subject:
There are other horror stories, like the "Kids for cash scandal" (portrayed in Michael Moore's Capitalism: A Love Story. Wikipedia info on the scandal here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_cash_scandal) in which a private for-profit juvenile detention center cut a deal with two judges in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, leading to the incarceration of hundreds of innocent kids.

That sort of thing, as well as all forms of police or law enforcement corruption, needs to be dealt with of course, but that don't mean it normally works that way.

And on a side note: I can't speak for all cases in the country, nor do I know how it works in Greenland, but earlier this summer I was pulled over for a license plate that was six months expired. I was not put in jail for it.
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/03/2011 15:27
  • Post subject:
I've also heard of a story where two sisters were given life sentences for stealing about $10 dollars.
  • Visit poster's website