The USA Police Force

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 08/03/2011 19:31
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
There are other horror stories, like the "Kids for cash scandal" (portrayed in Michael Moore's Capitalism: A Love Story. Wikipedia info on the scandal here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_cash_scandal) in which a private for-profit juvenile detention center cut a deal with two judges in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, leading to the incarceration of hundreds of innocent kids.

That sort of thing, as well as all forms of police or law enforcement corruption, needs to be dealt with of course, but that don't mean it normally works that way.

And on a side note: I can't speak for all cases in the country, nor do I know how it works in Greenland, but earlier this summer I was pulled over for a license plate that was six months expired. I was not put in jail for it.

Bork I have lived in several states including Illinois (Chicago, loved it) and they, like Wisconsin do not put people in jail for bullshit offenses. But Florida, for one, does.

Have you ever heard the expression

Florida, "come on vacation, leave on probation"

As I was saying before, and you just eluded to, the problem is the system. Quotas, privatization, corruption etc. I know X-cops who chose to leave the police force because of the pressure FROM THE HIGHER RANKS to make more arrests.

IMO the problem, especially in the southern U.S. is that the sheriffs, who are elected and very well payed and set for life when they retire, always say the same thing to get elected.

Guess what they all say? You got it,

"I AM GOING TO GET TOUGHER ON CRIME"

Another problem, in Florida in particular and not in the case of Illinois, is that the counties get state and federal money for every individual incarcerated. Well, when you combine that with the fact that there is very high % of people unemployed in Florida you get a disaster because some counties actually rely on incarcerating people to pay the bills. Whereas in the north incarcerations are considered a burden. Not a benefit.

O, and if you don't believe me about the petty reasons people get put in jail in Florida. Go ahead and check out the Mugshots site for Florida. You can also look up the FACT that in Florida more and more of the judges are enforcing the $50.00 a day cost for EVERY SINGLE DAY THAT YOU ARE INCARCERATED. And, until it's paid, you have a lean and will lose your drivers license until it is paid.

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 08/03/2011 22:43
  • Post subject:
itsit wrote:
I've also heard of a story where two sisters were given life sentences for stealing about $10 dollars.

Without having ever heard that story before I dare say that it isn't true (not if it happened in the US or Western Europe after 1975 that is). Stealing can't get you life, armed robbery may, and stealing $10 in and by itself would not lead to a life sentence. If the story has any truth to it there must be other circumstances.
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/04/2011 11:22
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
itsit wrote:
I've also heard of a story where two sisters were given life sentences for stealing about $10 dollars.

Without having ever heard that story before I dare say that it isn't true (not if it happened in the US or Western Europe after 1975 that is). Stealing can't get you life, armed robbery may, and stealing $10 in and by itself would not lead to a life sentence. If the story has any truth to it there must be other circumstances.

I can't remember the whole thing, I think it happened in the 90's sometime but the amount of money was around that, nothing big.
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 08/04/2011 14:45
  • Post subject:
itsit wrote:
Bork wrote:
itsit wrote:

I can't remember the whole thing, I think it happened in the 90's sometime but the amount of money was around that, nothing big.

Actually, the story is true. Or, at least I KNOW FOR A FACT that it has happened.

Although not for "stealing $10.00"

Some states in America have what is called the 3 STRIKES RULE.

ON your third felony you can receive a life sentence.

If you live in a 3 strikes state and you have 2 previous felony convictions and you write a bogus check for $100.00 (a felony) that is your third strike.

Thus, a judge, can enforce an give out a life sentence.

As I have previously stated, a judge in the U.S.

CAN DO WHATEVERTHEFUCK HE/SHE WANTS. A judge can give you 10 years if they don't like your name. But it will be dismissed on appeal in front of another judge or higher court.

But it is very hard to remove a judge from the bench. even when they hand out excessive sentences or gives probation for violent offenses.

• Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 08/04/2011 16:25
  • Post subject:
itsit wrote:
Bork wrote:
itsit wrote:

Well I had to look it up. These are the facts: It happened in Mississippi in 1993, the trial was in 1994, it was armed robbery (with a shotgun), the loot was $11, the two sisters (19 and 21 years old) were each sentenced to 2x life, three other kids involved got away with lesser sentences, the sisters were not convicted before, they were pardoned last year.

There are plenty of articles about it but I have tried in vain to find one that clarifies the seemingly excessive sentences.
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 08/04/2011 17:44
  • Post subject:
Criminal Defense Home » Criminal Law Basics
Understanding "Three Strikes and You're Out" Laws
What are Three Strikes Laws?

Three Strikes laws are legislation enacted by many states that target repeat offenders. After three separate felony convictions, or "strikes," convicts are "kicked out" of society - that is, they're sent to jail for life.

The reasoning behind these laws is that those who repeatedly commit felonies likely pose a serious threat to society and should be imprisoned for the greater good.

Many Three Strikes laws count only violent or serious crimes for the first two strikes, but have a much lower threshold for the third. Any felony, such as shoplifting or forgery, may be counted as strike three and produce a sentence of 25 years to life.

History of Three Strikes Laws
Three strikes laws, officially known in many states as habitual offender laws, get their name from the baseball rules of "three strikes and you're out." Though the practice of increasing penalties for repeat offenders is fairly common and well-established, the modern three strikes law first appeared in the early 1990s in Washington State. Shortly after, California adopted a strict three strikes law, which critics have said was an emotional reaction to a murder committed by a twice-convicted felon.

Since three strikes laws' popularity during the 1990s, many states have amended or repealed the provisions of their three strikes laws, partly because some studies have found them ineffective at reducing overall crime rates and responsible for crowding prisons.
Other Forms

Some states have "habitual offender" provisions that only affect those convicted of sex crimes or DUI. And, in some places three-peat offenders are eligible for very long sentences, but not definitely doomed to life behind bars.

These Sates had the 3 strikes law as of 2009

Alabama
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Florida
Georgia
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Louisiana
Maryland
Montana
New Jersey
Nevada
New Mexico
North Carolina
North Dakota
Oregon
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vermont
Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming
Washington

• Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 08/05/2011 06:26
  • Post subject:
My family has been involved in practising law for many years, and I myself was groomed to become a lawyer or politician (I ended up applying to art school - you can imagine that my parents are very proud). "Fuck the po-lice" was practically a family motto in my father's house.
Now, I'm not quite as anti-establishment as my rebel dad was, but I do know one thing:

Giving out guns and authority to naive, idealistic kids is a BAD IDEA.
That's why the United States military has so many fucking problems.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 08/08/2011 05:52
  • Post subject:
O.K. here is actual footage of your beloved cops and how they treat the people they are supposed to and SWORE AN OATH TO

PROTECT AND SERVE Evil or Very Mad

Link

• Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 08/29/2011 19:30
  • Post subject:
America your government (police state) is

NOT on your side.

Link