Best Ever Comedy Films [POLL]

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
hereforashortime

United States

• Posted: 09/08/2017 18:17
  • Post subject: Best Ever Comedy Films [POLL]

It's been a while since we've done a film list, so why not tackle a genre we haven't done before, Comedy! Laughing
This will be our fourth themed list, and the first one I've hosted, (and possibly the first one hosted by someone other than Hayden??), so this should be exciting.

Rules are the same as all the other times, but here's a reminder.

The gist/rules:

BEA's list of our favourite comedy films Very Happy

Any film listed as comedy on IMDb or Letterboxd is eligible, as far as within those boundries, if you think the movie is a comedy put it on your list, if you don't, don't.
Mini-Series will be accepted if they were released theatrically.
All films above 30 minutes from any decade are allowed.

All lists will be PMed to me (or you can post them here), maxing out at 100. The final list will be 100 films. This time around, I'll be accepting lists of any denotation up to 100. The size of your list determines it's weight.
Lists will also be accepted in IMDb and Letterboxd format.

I'm thinking Oct 12th for the deadline, but that's flexible if you guys think a different day would be better.

Also, shoutout to Hayden for coming up with the format for these lists that I completely ripped off, and also for hosting a billion of these lists.

Exceptions to the "must be listed as a comedy on IMDb or Letterboxd" rule
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)

Alrighty then!!

Last edited by hereforashortime on 09/09/2017 02:51; edited 5 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 09/08/2017 18:56
  • Post subject:
Oh hey! I popped in at a good time. This will be like third or fourth time City Lights was my #1 but that's cool. Or I may go a different route and rank films by how funny they are instead of how good they are (in which case it would still be near the top), because certain "comedies" aren't really comedies to me. IE Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. One of the best movies I've ever seen, but not something that comes to mind when I think comedy even though it kind of is one.
  • Visit poster's website
hereforashortime

United States

• Posted: 09/08/2017 19:28
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. One of the best movies I've ever seen, but not something that comes to mind when I think comedy even though it kind of is one.

ESotSM wouldn't be eligible anyway considering it's not listed as a Comedy on IMDb.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/08/2017 19:35
  • Post subject: Re: Best Ever Comedy Films [POLL]
hereforashortime wrote:
possibly the first one hosted by someone other than Hayden??

Also, shoutout to Hayden for coming up with the format for these lists that I completely ripped off, and also for hosting a billion of these lists.

Nah, Nutso was first. I wouldn't have even thought of the concept if it weren't for him. And to be fair, I think it was... 11 lists? Something like that. Laughing

Anyway, comedy's cool, will work on compiling my list. I'd def help run it if I weren't so swamped with life over the next few months.

Quote:
IE Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. One of the best movies I've ever seen, but not something that comes to mind when I think comedy even though it kind of is one.

Truly, I've never thought of Eternal Sunshine as a comedy. It perhaps has the whimsy of one, but definitely not the tone or plot. Personally, I'd vouch for it being excluded.
badseed

United States

• Posted: 09/08/2017 21:27
  • Post subject:
hereforashortime wrote:
ESotSM wouldn't be eligible anyway considering it's not listed as a Comedy on IMDb.

Really? I think IMDb has changed some stuff since the days when I used it as the Holy Bible of film study. I swear it used to be. Maybe it's just because its nominations at the Golden Globes that year were in the musical/comedy category.

Regardless I'm glad that's cleared up.

<Edit> Yeah it's not listed as such on IMDb or Letterboxd. However on RottenTomatoes and Wikipedia it is called a comedy.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 09/08/2017 21:31
  • Post subject:
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls020907333/?publish=publish

Its only the beginning...
  • Visit poster's website
hereforashortime

United States

• Posted: 09/08/2017 22:05
  • Post subject:
Thanks for the list Rocka, just a heads up, Willy Wonka isn't listed as a comedy, so do you want me to just ignore it on the list, or do you want to add another movie?
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/08/2017 22:17
  • Post subject:
hereforashortime wrote:
Thanks for the list Rocka, just a heads up, Willy Wonka isn't listed as a comedy, so do you want me to just ignore it on the list, or do you want to add another movie?

Leeeeeeet's consider Willy Wonka a comedy as an exception. Cause, like, it def is.
hereforashortime

United States

• Posted: 09/08/2017 22:20
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Leeeeeeet's consider Willy Wonka a comedy as an exception. Cause, like, it def is.

Ok, I haven't seen it in a while so I didn't remember, but yeah I'll allow it.
AfterHours

• Posted: 09/08/2017 22:34
  • Post subject:
I really think Gilliam's Brazil should be included as a comedy. It's obviously a mistake that IMDb doesn't list it as a comedy in addition to its correct listing as Sci-Fi/Fantasy. It's hard to think of a single scene (if there are any) that isn't an outright gag, very satirical, or blackly comic. It's at least as much of a comedy as one of its chief influences (Chaplin's Modern Times), more of a comedy than one of the many films it's influenced (Kusturica's Underground), it's got his previous work with Monty Python written all over it, and as a matter of fact, is the same director of The Holy Grail (Terry Gilliam).
  • Visit poster's website