System of a Down
66%
 66%  [12]
Total Votes : 18

Smithy98

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/31/2017 11:01
  • Post subject: Nu-metal/post-grunge
I'm going to be making another forum, this time, I'm going to be making a poll (I didn't know you could make polls on this website but I just noticed and I thought, ok I might do that instead) of asking which band (out of post-grunge and/or nu-metal) is better

Now, 2 weeks ago, I made a forum to do with nu-metal and post-grunge (Because I've been interested with this kind of music for around 2-3 years now, so late 2014/early 2015, I have a few albums from these bands) and I had around 6 or 7 people commenting about it and I did mention that I wanted some of you to rate these bands such as their albums, their songs and just the artist in general but since then, I've not had anyone rate any of those bands but they 1 or 2 (or 3) did message privately that they will rate these bands when they have time.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 10/31/2017 12:38
  • Post subject:
I picked Silverchair even though you couldn't really call them post-grunge because they happened at the exact same time as the original grunge. They were actually contemporaries of the original grunge bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam etc.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 10/31/2017 12:45
  • Post subject:
Well, System of A Down are actually really, really good. So them.
  • Visit poster's website
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 10/31/2017 14:12
  • Post subject:
Def not the list for me. Nu-metal is def a genre i will not be making a list on.

Post-grunge, however, also includes foo fighters, everclear, bush, filter, live, sponge and third eye blind, If it was me, i wouldn't be combining those 2 seperate sub/genres in the same list, but it's fairly subjective as anything in art.
  • Visit poster's website
edubs

United States

• Posted: 10/31/2017 18:19
  • Post subject:
Better than what?
  • Visit poster's website
Smithy98

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/31/2017 18:33
  • Post subject:
edubs wrote:
Better than what?

Basically, it's just a poll asking others on what band they prefer.
  • Visit poster's website
elo269megv
Punk Rock Detective

United States

• Posted: 10/31/2017 18:45
  • Post subject:
Im telling you, if you want to listen to GOOD nu-metal stick to the powerhouses.

Tier 1:
Slipknot - Slipknot, Vol. 3, Iowa
Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine, Battle Los Angeles, Evil Empire
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory, Meterora
System of a Down - Toxicity, Mesmerize, Hypnotize
Pantera - Vulgar Display, Cowboys From Hell
Deftones - Around The Fur, White Pony

Tier 2:
Disturbed
Korn
Papa Roach
Drowning Pool
Limp Bizkit
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 11/01/2017 02:04
  • Post subject:
I mean, I kinda get why System is lumped in with *some* of these bands. However, they are nothing like Nickelback, Papa Roach, or Theory of a Douchebag (easily a way worse band at this point than Nickelback).

I think System is way too good to be lumped in with those bands. Stylistically, they really don't have anything in common other than loud guitars and catchy chorus hooks. Only difference is System's hooks are way more musically interesting. They don't write catchy hooks just to be catchy or for radio play/sales like the aforementioned groups, they have an insanely musical sensibility in their writing and a chemistry that is undeniable between the 4 of them. Daron's writing style trounces 90% of the other bands here, John Dolmayan is an excellent drummer, and it's often indescribable how well Daron and Serj's voices blend.

Maybe I'm biased because I've gotten way into them recently, but it's just frankly kinda gross to see them in the same poll as Theory of a Dickhead.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 11/01/2017 04:49
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
I mean, I kinda get why System is lumped in with *some* of these bands. However, they are nothing like Nickelback, Papa Roach, or Theory of a Douchebag (easily a way worse band at this point than Nickelback).

I think System is way too good to be lumped in with those bands. Stylistically, they really don't have anything in common other than loud guitars and catchy chorus hooks. Only difference is System's hooks are way more musically interesting. They don't write catchy hooks just to be catchy or for radio play/sales like the aforementioned groups, they have an insanely musical sensibility in their writing and a chemistry that is undeniable between the 4 of them. Daron's writing style trounces 90% of the other bands here, John Dolmayan is an excellent drummer, and it's often indescribable how well Daron and Serj's voices blend.

Maybe I'm biased because I've gotten way into them recently, but it's just frankly kinda gross to see them in the same poll as Theory of a Dickhead.

YES
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 11/01/2017 05:24
  • Post subject: re: yeah, nu-metal and post-grunge are rather different.
and some of these bands weren't strictly pigeonholed into the numetal/postgrunge stuff anyway. silverchair, for instance, started as a grunge band (or is everything post-kurt is post-grunge?) and moved ever so directly to pop. i don't know that anything they did is really "nu-metal".

by the time they were hitting home runs (diorama) -- like system of a down's work -- they didn't have anything in common with these other groups. && by the time young modern happened, they sounded infinitely closer to coldplay than nirvana.

---

i'm not a fan of really anything else on this list, though it mostly gets picked on a bit too much. a couple friends swear by SoaD and Deftones. i'm not as familiar with either group.

---

a lot of bands from that "post-grunge" era have some stuff i like (the foo fights got that everlong, filters had a couple of cool tracks "HEY DAD WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT YOUR SON NOW!", live's first coupla albums (probs more post-punk than yada yada tho), toadies had a song or two, et al).

one day, our children will revisit this the way my peers and i went back to the synthpop of the 80s, and they won't understand why we've collectively moved on. and i'll find a way to fall in love with it again just like when i was twelve years old.