Electronic Music: Discussion & Competition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 05/28/2018 06:35
  • Post subject:
That was a good mix of "experimental" and "a good beat".
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 05/28/2018 07:13
  • Post subject:
Murcof mad underrated
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 05/28/2018 17:59
  • Post subject:
I know this will seem like the wrong place to talk about this, but I have to say/ask - is Dark Side of the Moon the first massively popular album to include such a heavy dose of electronic music (Moog synths, etc.)? And probably more properly said a clear direction/influence of electronic music - not just has electronic instruments?

I was reading up on Moog and found that Wendy/Walter Carlos really was the first to popularize it, but I'm not sure her Switched-On Bach is a household name?

I guess what I'm getting at is when did electronic music go mainstream and which album do you think we can attribute that to and why?
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/28/2018 20:25
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
I know this will seem like the wrong place to talk about this, but I have to say/ask - is Dark Side of the Moon the first massively popular album to include such a heavy dose of electronic music (Moog synths, etc.)? And probably more properly said a clear direction/influence of electronic music - not just has electronic instruments?

I was reading up on Moog and found that Wendy/Walter Carlos really was the first to popularize it, but I'm not sure her Switched-On Bach is a household name?

I guess what I'm getting at is when did electronic music go mainstream and which album do you think we can attribute that to and why?

ikr that's why I asked whether Pink Floyd was Electronic on my previous post.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 05/28/2018 20:42
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:

That sounds like a pretty good guess. Especially if you're talking about electronic music by a rock based band. I often hear people mention Baba O'Riley by The Who in 1971 at the first rock band to use Electronics so prominently in a song. But that wasn't the whole album, just one song. I can think of one other band that used a lot of electronics before Dark Side of the Moon. Electronic Mediitation and Zeit by Tangerine Dream came out in 70 and 72. But the thing about that is, even though it sounds like all electronic music, they actually created that sound by manipulating and distorting regular instruments like guitars and flutes and shit. There weren't too many electronic instruments available to them at that time, so they used regular instruments also to create the spacy effect of electronic instruments. I'd say the first totally electronic album by a rock band would be Phaedra in 1974, also by Tangerine Dream.
Also, I looked it up and you seem to be right about Switched on Bach. It was really well known and sold a lot of records at the time.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 05/28/2018 21:00
  • Post subject:
YoungPunk wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

ikr that's why I asked whether Pink Floyd was Electronic on my previous post.

Of course there were also the other progressive rock groups like Emerson Lake and Palmer and Yes, but I'm not sure exactly how much electronic instruments they used. And then there's always the Mellotron, which King Crimson add The Moody Blues used as far back as 1967. But I guess it's really not considered an electronic instrument even though it sounds like it. It's really just a keyboard that uses tape recordings.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 05/28/2018 21:27
  • Post subject:
instruments that use recordings (like samplers) are electronic music instruments tho
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 05/28/2018 22:02
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
instruments that use recordings (like samplers) are electronic music instruments tho

Yeah, that's true. I guess it was like a early sampler, you could say.. Heh heh.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 05/28/2018 22:29
  • Post subject:
Here is a fun video

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 05/28/2018 22:45
  • Post subject:
Songs with the "Clavioline", or some version of one, as a lead instrument were probably the first popular uses of an electronic instrument in music. Although Leon Theremin and Clara Rockmore might lay claim to that as well, but they didn't have a hit song.

Space Age Pop artists like Esquivel and Dick Hyman used some electronic type elements in some of their lounge music recordings.

The "Switched On Bach" series by Wendy Carlos was a catalyst in the late 60s for more usage of the moog synthesizer in popular music. It went to number 10 on the Billboard Charts and eventually sold over a million copies.

Clavioline songs

Link

Link

Link

Clara Rockmore plays the Theremin

Link

Space Age Pop

Link

Link

Link

Wendy Carlos

Link

So, no, I don't think that Pink Floyd is important to electronic music's popularity.

Last edited by Tha1ChiefRocka on 05/28/2018 23:00; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website