View previous topic :: View next topic
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 09/27/2011 16:50
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
albummaster wrote:
It's not going to get re-categorised, it doesn't belong in the Lounge. Brick wall

Please look at GARY or 19loveless91 earlier posts for reasons why this has been moved. What a fuss over nothing.

I did and neither had originally viewed the entire video either. Mob rules! SNAP decisions are final.

Bullshit. If anything YOU hadn't watched the video, as you didn't even know that the guy was forcing his religious beliefs on everybody (by manipulating)
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 09/27/2011 16:54
  • Post subject:
I watched the video in its entirety before posting it and four times since. That is why I labeled it Ethics. Care to jump to any other conclusions.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 09/27/2011 19:30
  • Post subject:

• Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 10/17/2011 04:08
  • Post subject: Re: Ethics
RFNAPLES wrote:

Link

there is no ethical discussion here. no discussion of moral relativism. no discussion of what is good or evil, or if it even exists. no discussion of gods existence or if god is good. no discussion of when "life" begins. there is only an assumed religious right that is apparently profound because (1) obviously no interviewee has thought about their personal ethics, their society's ethics, etc and (2) obviously most interviewees are intellectually in the bottom of the barrel, having not heard of Hitler (or, they were coached).

Naples, how do you reconcile being pro-life while bitching about how over-taxation of the rich in the US is supporting the poor when its the poor that are proliferating and are in need of the right to abortion the most?
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 10/17/2011 04:15
purple wrote:
Naples, how do you reconcile being pro-life while bitching about how over-taxation of the rich in the US is supporting the poor when its the poor that are proliferating and are in need of the right to abortion the most?

I haven't bitched about over-taxation of the rich but have suggested enough is enough. Perhaps contraception would be in order given that it much less expensive than abortion.

As for ethics, the video is filled with ethical questions. Perhaps you don't recognize ethical choices. Perhaps the Socratic Method is too advanced for you.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 10/17/2011 04:55
RFNAPLES wrote:
purple wrote:

I haven't bitched about over-taxation of the rich but have suggested enough is enough. Perhaps contraception would be in order given that it much less expensive than abortion.

well, as far as the taxation thing I'm there with you (I'm for conservative fiscal policy but liberal social policy (concerning homosexual marriage, abortion, etc))

obviously contraception is a first choice, but: (1) sometimes they break; (2) some people can't afford them so they just pull out (sometimes not good enough); (3) there are actually people who poke holes in condoms when they're left out, such as at university health service centers (one girl was doing this at mine two years ago); (4) there is the situation of a possible rape pregnancy; and (5) there are those times you just really want to sex it up and don't have a condom and are either too drunk to pull out or pulling out doesn't matter (pre-cum). The main argument against the above situations is obviously the responsibility factors of (2) and (5) and the relatively rare occurrence of all of them. However, they happen and when they happen the option of abortion cannot be ruled out... perhaps mainly because the people stupid and reckless enough to have an accidental baby most likely can't handle a baby in their lives (or it could go to an orphanage and be funded by taxes and donations).

my major argument against pro-life law (same thing goes for homosexual marriage law) is that by enacting such laws you're robbing people of a social action that is not directly harmful to others. The aim of law is to inhibit harmful social actions, like murder and theft, but law must mediate when it comes to non-harmful behaviors like abortion and homosexual marriage. Now that their is a significant portion of the population demanding abortions and homosexual marriage, those behaviors have become at least somewhat "normal" and there's no reason to inhibit them.

I know you've noticed how I said that abortion is not directly harmful to others, and yes that means that I don't think fetuses should be considered legal living humans. I used "legal" for a reason. Fetuses are life in the sense that cells are life, but you don't feel so bad when you squash a bug do you? And because it is created by humans and is/will become a human a fetus is distinctly human, but at what point would a future father or a future mother truly feel any human connection to the fetus early in the pregnancy? I used "legal" because law, such as the abortion law, applies to humans in society. At what point can a fetus said to be part of society? Ask yourself what defines human life. You can't use a generic biological or morphological definition because what makes abortion so much worse than squashing a bug or hunting quail then?

Also, is abortion still murder if the fetus is unknowingly killed by the actions of the mother? e.g. night of heavy drinking before she knows she's pregnant, or a blow to the stomach in a mean field hockey game, etc
purple

• Posted: 10/17/2011 04:56
RFNAPLES wrote:
As for ethics, the video is filled with ethical questions. Perhaps you don't recognize ethical choices. Perhaps the Socratic Method is too advanced for you.

stop insulting me
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 10/17/2011 12:02
purple wrote:
Fetuses are life in the sense that cells are life, but you don't feel so bad when you squash a bug do you? And because it is created by humans and is/will become a human a fetus is distinctly human, but at what point would a future father or a future mother truly feel any human connection to the fetus early in the pregnancy? I used "legal" because law, such as the abortion law, applies to humans in society. At what point can a fetus said to be part of society? Ask yourself what defines human life. You can't use a generic biological or morphological definition because what makes abortion so much worse than squashing a bug or hunting quail then?

Also, is abortion still murder if the fetus is unknowingly killed by the actions of the mother? e.g. night of heavy drinking before she knows she's pregnant, or a blow to the stomach in a mean field hockey game, etc

Condoms and coitus interruptus are not the only forms of contraception.

I don't squash bugs unless they are causing me harm. A human connection is not required for murder; often murders are committed by strangers. I don't hunt either but do recognize the need for food.

The examples you give of unknowingly killing are either manslaughter or accidental death; not murder in any degree.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 11/28/2011 20:11
  • Post subject:

Link

• Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 11/29/2011 01:05
I think we need to have a great big talk in hear about fetal development...
The fetus isn't alive for the first and most of the second trimester. And I don't mean that technically, either, I mean it literally. It isn't alive. There aren't even any real brain functions until the end of the second trimester/early third trimester.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website