Round 1: The Avalanches v. Moor Mother & Billy Woods

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Please listen to both albums in full before voting, then choose your favorite.
We Will Always Love You by The Avalanches
42%
 42%  [8]
Brass by Moor Mother & Billy Woods
57%
 57%  [11]
Total Votes : 19

baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 06/28/2021 22:04
  • Post subject: Round 1: The Avalanches v. Moor Mother & Billy Woods
Seed #7:

We Will Always Love You by The Avalanches

Nominated by: baystateoftheart
Genres [RYM]: Neo-Psychedelia, Electronic

Seed #16:

Brass by Moor Mother & Billy Woods

Nominated by: Antonio-Pedro
Genres [RYM]: Abstract Hip Hop, Experimental Hip Hop, East Coast Hip Hop

Instructions:

If you have not already, please listen to both albums in full before voting. Share your thoughts and/or your vote in this thread. This poll will be tallied in no fewer than twenty-eight days. See Tournament Spreadsheet for the full bracket.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/28/2021 23:07
  • Post subject:
Think

This one will take some mulling. Think I'm leaning Moor Mother/Billy Woods, but that Avalanches record has some great cuts. I feel like both were immediately underappreciated because of the time of year they dropped.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 06/29/2021 01:41
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Think

This one will take some mulling. Think I'm leaning Moor Mother/Billy Woods, but that Avalanches record has some great cuts. I feel like both were immediately underappreciated because of the time of year they dropped.

Yeah at first glance I was thinking the same thing (easy win for Moor Mother/Billy Woods) because I fell in love at first listen. Upon a repeat it lost some lovin feelin, while Avalanches is a group I haven't really loved, and yet started to like this one quite a bit more.
  • Visit poster's website
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 06/30/2021 12:41
  • Post subject:
Such a shame both these got together. Voting for my pick obviously, but damn I think this avalanches record was damn underrated last year
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 06/30/2021 22:17
  • Post subject:
Yeah this was a really close one. Ditto what others have said, and I think I just gotta go with Avalanches.
Exist-en-ciel

• Posted: 07/01/2021 02:00
  • Post subject:
I liked most of the Billy Woods albums that I listened to. But when I first listened to Brass when it was released, I didn't like it enough. If I now have more consideration for this album, the fact remains that I prefer We Will Always Love You. I vote for The Avalanches.
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 07/01/2021 04:05
  • Post subject:
I don't think I'll have the time to write a track-by-track review soon, so I'll just throw something up here. We Will Always Love You is another excellent Avalanches album, making them 3/3 with classics in my book. While still very sample-heavy, this is much less of a plunderphonics album than Wildflower, which in turn is less of one than Since I Left You. Instead of forming the backbone of everything, the samples are here more as complements, reminding me a bit of Jens Lekman's approach on Night Falls Over Kortedala (another favorite album of mine). In quintessential Avalanches fashion, the songs flow together nearly perfectly to create a cohesive and immersive listening experience, and have remarkable emotional potency and depth. We Will Always Love You also ups the ante on the guest-heavy nature of Wildflower, and the all-star roster includes some truly inspired pairings.

The concept of the album is another strong point. It's a very existential record, ruminating on lives and loves past and the connection that remains, from both a more immediate, personal perspective and a universal, bird's-eye view. Wikipedia has a pretty concise summary of some other interesting aspects of the background:

Wikipedia wrote:
The album's concept is rooted in "death, the afterlife, the stars, celestial beings and everything that's out there" in the context of their tendency to sample music from artists that have passed away.[1] Chater explains:

"When we're sampling very, very old recorded music, the singer may have long passed so it's almost like summoning spirits [...] If we sample a record from the 40s, someone else has owned that record for maybe 50 years and played it a million times, and so they've added to the crackles on the vinyl. Then that record has come into my life and we've sampled it and made a song out of it. [...] It's just a beautiful flow of energy, that we're only a small part of - and so the album was reflecting on all those sorts of processes."[12]

The cover art features an image of Ann Druyan, creative director of the Voyager Golden Record project. The image, modified from the photo taken by Bettina Cirone around 1980, was run through a spectograph, turned into sound, then processed back into an image.[18][19] The group wanted to work with her after hearing that the sound of her heartbeat captured for the Golden Record was recorded the day after Carl Sagan proposed to her. They booked studio time to record her voice for the album, but she canceled the recording. She still gave them permission to use her image on the cover.[10]

Of course, none of this would matter if the songs didn't deliver, and they absolutely do. There's plentiful outstanding production, vocals, and songwriting throughout the runtime. While not every track is transcendent, most are, and there are no duds. For what it's worth, this was also a major grower for me. I was a fan from first listen, but it was my most recent listen before the tournament when it fully clicked. 4.5/5.

Brass is a very good album in its own right, but obviously not getting my vote here.
kokkinos

• Posted: 07/01/2021 20:41
  • Post subject:
In contrast to most of you, this is one of the easiest decisions of the first round.
We Will Always Love You has some fantastic moments, but as an album it doesn't work for me as well as its highlights would suggest. I undestand that the interludes contribute to the overall atmosphere/feel the album is trying to create, but more often than not I find myself patiently waiting for the good stuff. In other words, you could say I like their music more than I like their concept - which is a shame, as I'm missing out on one of the main elements that makes them so special, but it is what it is.
This could have been a deciding factor in a different matchup, but here it doesn't matter that much, as Brass is in a league of its own. A top-5 2020 album and considering that the 3 or 4 albums I would rank higher don't appear here, I'd love to see this winning the whole thing.
Brass gets my vote.
  • Visit poster's website
sandboy

• Posted: 07/04/2021 11:07
  • Post subject:
We Will Always Love You is such a listenable record. I always find myself putting it on and letting it play. Bright, lively, varied. It definitely dips a little in the middle, where it's concept starts to lose focus. But what a wonderful concept it is, more-so a tonal concept that something literal, which I love. Like a lost analogue recording we're listening to a thousand years later in a digital sea. Definitely a set down from Since I Left You technically, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't prefer listening to it on the day-to-day.

I think 'Brass' is the much more successful record of the two, however. It's a more demanding and uncomfortable listen. It sounds like the last thing you hear before being head-shot in a ditch. Harrowing and real. Billy Woods is possibly one of the most important artists in the game right now, but Moor Mother absolutely matches his energy, there's a real tension and dynamic between the two of them. Nothing sounds quite like it.
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 07/22/2021 12:45
  • Post subject:
Almost certainly gonna vote for Moor Mother & Billy Woods but I'll give The Avalanches one more listen first. I heard this album already I think twice but can't remember anything about it.
  • Visit poster's website