sub-forums

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Wombi

• Posted: 02/04/2012 20:23
  • Post subject: sub-forums
okay so it's a big ask but would the format of having sub-forums rather than one big umbrella 'music' term help with the sort of thing that purple's plea addresses? I'v had this thought for a while but I guess that thread was a catalyst for it. There are various possibilities (1 idea was: Artists, Albums, Influences etc etc) there's of course other roads it could take.

Obviously the re-organisation of all previous threads would be a massive undertaking, but perhaps the mods (who already have the ability to move threads) could help out? it's a big change so obviously if it did get okayed I wouldn't expect it in the next few months or anything.

Just a thought.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 02/04/2012 20:28
  • Post subject:
I'm happy to do something to make it a bit easier, but I'm not sure what an appropriate number of sub-forums would be, or what they would be labelled. It's difficult to separate artists from albums when lots of threads talk about both. I've pondered this before, but not thought of a clear enough way of doing it.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/04/2012 20:59
  • Post subject:
Yeah. 3-4 sub forums would be cool.

Like, Albums, Bands, Songs, Opinions, etc..

Maybe not that confined, but it would be better than just having 'MUSIC'.

Just for the music forums though. I don't think we need sub's for Lounge & Games Razz
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 02/04/2012 22:19
  • Post subject:
I think there'd need to be a clear distinction between subjects. There's too many areas where threads might cross over, and people will find it confusing working out where to post if the sub-forums aren't clearly defined.

The first page at the moment as a case in point:

Chart of the day (#117): By yepyepyep
What album are you listening to right now?
Album of the day #448: I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
Rap and Hip hop on Best Ever Albums?
A Guessing Game.
a plea to everyone
[ Poll ] Exile on Main St. vs. The White Album
Let's Continue to Hate on the Mainstream!
What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?
What is it with The White Album?
KsE
the EX
Is this song worthy to be used as a username?
The best youtube cover
Best opening tracks
Albums with covers that perfectly reflects its music
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 02/04/2012 23:00
  • Post subject:

I say just leave it the way it is.

Give albummaster a break for Crizzakes !

Why are all these college kids complaining about the forum.

Is it really so hard 2 navigate through Rolling Eyes

And, while I'm at it, what is up with the continual complaints about people reviving old threads Shocked

O.K. let me get this straight Think

If you revisit an old thread you are wrong.

If you start a thread that already exists, (but is from a year ago) you are wrong.

So, that means that, once a topic is covered on BEA.

That is it. It shall never be talked about again, and 2 Hell with the newer people. They just plain miss out on it d'oh!

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 02/04/2012 23:20
  • Post subject:
Okay well based on those first page threads you posted, there's the : albums, artists, songs etc:

Chart of the day (#117): By yepyepyep - Official BEA someone mentioned on another thread the idea to have these kinda threads in their own area. I thought it was intriguing.
What album are you listening to right now? - albums
Album of the day #448: I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning - Official BEA
Rap and Hip hop on Best Ever Albums? - albums
A Guessing Game. - this either actually belongs in games Laughing or I don't know Think
a plea to everyone - to an extent this may have belonged in Suggestions but I suppose it applied specifically to the music forum. perhaps there could be a Help & Questions section (which would have the current music section stickies as well (perhaps)
[ Poll ] Exile on Main St. vs. The White Album - albums
Let's Continue to Hate on the Mainstream!
What Song Are You Listening To Right Now? - songs
What is it with The White Album? - albums
KsE - Artists
the EX - artists
Is this song worthy to be used as a username? - songs
The best youtube cover - videos
Best opening tracks - songs
Albums with covers that perfectly reflects its music - albums

there's other alternative like separating into genres and then having a big music general forum. All spitballing at the moment.
purple

• Posted: 02/04/2012 23:55
  • Post subject:
suggestions for sub-forums with sample threads

Artists- Beatles vs. Radiohead, KsE, Ex, rank discography
Albums- Exile on Main Street vs. The White Album, album cover art
Songs- what song are you listening to now?, playlist requests, first 30 songs on mp3 shuffle, best opening tracks
Charts- Chart of the Day, end of year charts from various publications, discussion of charts like RS 500
miscellaneous- an_outlaw's reflections, gripes about Pitchfork, a guessing game (should this be in games forum?)

I think the scope of each is relatively easy to delineate. Yes, you would be ranking albums in the rank discography thread but you're really determining the value of the artist through their career, so it should be placed in the artist subforum. given charts might be song charts, or album charts, but they're still charts so they go into the charts subforum. moderators can make assessments of where the thread should be and place it there.

I think a re-organization of the site over time, along with a re-tooled search engine and some smaller features like a site map/explanation and stickies reminding new users to explore the site before creating threads, is essential to keeping members. The idea is that with a re-organized site, topics move forward fruitfully in a single thread instead of dying and beginning anew later, making the discussion stagnant. It's the charts function that brings users here, but it's the forums that keep them here.
purple

• Posted: 02/04/2012 23:59
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
a plea to everyone - to an extent this may have belonged in Suggestions but I suppose it applied specifically to the music forum. perhaps there could be a Help & Questions section (which would have the current music section stickies as well (perhaps)

I posted it knowing it should have gone in the suggestions forum, but it would not have been read by as many users here and it is more for the users than albummaster
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/05/2012 01:26
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:

A Guessing Game. - this either actually belongs in games Laughing or I don't know Think

purple wrote:
a guessing game (should this be in games forum?)

I was considering putting it there Laughing , but it's not really a game is it?...So I just put it in music Confused

If you want to move it, go ahead Razz No harm done.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 02/05/2012 06:09
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
suggestions for sub-forums with sample threads

Artists- Beatles vs. Radiohead, KsE, Ex, rank discography
Albums- Exile on Main Street vs. The White Album, album cover art
Songs- what song are you listening to now?, playlist requests, first 30 songs on mp3 shuffle, best opening tracks
Charts- Chart of the Day, end of year charts from various publications, discussion of charts like RS 500
miscellaneous- an_outlaw's reflections, gripes about Pitchfork, a guessing game (should this be in games forum?)

How about a 'genre' sub-forum as well?

That would cover things like the hip/hop discussion and the few I have seen specifically on metal or postpunk.

I agree that a tidy up would make things a lot easier to navigate through and it would mean that threads you are interested in don't get 'lost' quite so easily.

Rather than dumping it all on albummaster... I would be more than happy to help sort through existing threads and reassign stuff once we get the sub-categories sorted out (and obviously if I had the appropriate powers to do that).