View previous topic :: View next topic
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 02/15/2012 06:54
  • Post subject:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
19loveless91 wrote:
I think we all have a slightly different definition of what racism is.
Norman Bates wrote:

No. Racism is believing in the existence of several human races. From what I know (very little I admit), this has never been proved and is still subject of debate.

To start here... I don't think that's true. You can't deny the visual differences that are between certain groups of people, and these are what we "interpret" as races (three "main" ones + others).

Have to say I disagree again, I'm with Norman.

'Race' as we know it is just a construct to seperate us, it has no basis in biology. I'd like to know what the three types are, I assume you mean black white and asian? Well I'm not really satisfied with that.

Populations in different parts of the world develop different physical traits but it's dumb to pigeonhole everyone into a certain 'race'. For example you can tell from looking between a West African and an East African, A Spaniard from a Norwegian or an Indian from a Korean hence why I can't agree with your 'three races' theory. We're all different and our skin tone is just one physical attribute, albeit the most noticeable.

The fact that we can breed with any other human means we are more breeds than races.

I hope you didn't stop reading there... I wrote more than just that
Quote:
The problem here, and with racism is, that these "natural" or "visible" differences become the basis on which people start attributing characteristics to people of all races, usually based on what a small group of people of this »race« are doing - which is called generalization, or stereotyping.
Of course this is highly flawed, but that doesn't mean there aren't differences between races as groups. But I would argue that most if not all of them are a product of societies and their cultures throughout history - which in essence make the race a social or cultural construct, and not a thing of biology or nature
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/15/2012 12:22
  • Post subject:
with regards to Kanye I doubt he really has a problem with white people. He's always seemed like he was joking to me. It's not like with PE who are deadly serious all the time.
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/15/2012 15:57
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
19loveless91 wrote:
I think we all have a slightly different definition of what racism is.
Norman Bates wrote:

No. Racism is believing in the existence of several human races. From what I know (very little I admit), this has never been proved and is still subject of debate.

To start here... I don't think that's true. You can't deny the visual differences that are between certain groups of people, and these are what we "interpret" as races (three "main" ones + others).

Have to say I disagree again, I'm with Norman.

'Race' as we know it is just a construct to seperate us, it has no basis in biology. I'd like to know what the three types are, I assume you mean black white and asian? Well I'm not really satisfied with that.

Populations in different parts of the world develop different physical traits but it's dumb to pigeonhole everyone into a certain 'race'. For example you can tell from looking between a West African and an East African, A Spaniard from a Norwegian or an Indian from a Korean hence why I can't agree with your 'three races' theory. We're all different and our skin tone is just one physical attribute, albeit the most noticeable.

The fact that we can breed with any other human means we are more breeds than races.

I hope you didn't stop reading there... I wrote more than just that
Quote:
The problem here, and with racism is, that these "natural" or "visible" differences become the basis on which people start attributing characteristics to people of all races, usually based on what a small group of people of this »race« are doing - which is called generalization, or stereotyping.
Of course this is highly flawed, but that doesn't mean there aren't differences between races as groups. But I would argue that most if not all of them are a product of societies and their cultures throughout history - which in essence make the race a social or cultural construct, and not a thing of biology or nature

No no no, I read the whole thing and agree with most everything you've written but the first bit. You're absolutely right with the second paragraph here. This is spot on: "I would argue that most if not all of them are a product of societies and their cultures throughout history- which in essence make the race a social or cultural construct, and not a thing of biology or nature" - I couldn't have said it better.

No 'race' is more inclined to act in a certain way than others, if there's any correlation between how people act and what 'race' they belong to then it's entirely due to the culture in which they were raised rather than any sort of genetic differance. And that's sort of my point, the colour of your skin is as relevant to how you act as your height, the size of your ears or the colour of your eyes, they're merely physical traits we've inherited from our parents, nothing else.

And rappers who go on about black nationalism are a joke, Martin Luther King would be horrified.
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/18/2012 00:03
  • Post subject:
Old thread I know but an interesting one. Was listening to Black On Both Sides earlier and as good an album it is, some of it just makes you cringe. I couldn't help wondering what exactly Mos Def means by this, from Rock 'N' Roll:

(huh) I ain't tryin to diss
but I don't be tryin to fuck with Limp Bizkit
"The fuck is on your mind?"
When I get down in my zone
I be rockin Bad Brains and Fishbone
I ain't tryin to slow your groove
But that ain't the way I'm tryin to move
I don't turn on Korn to get it on;
I be playin Jimi Hendrix 'til the dawn
That's my word is bond
Sittin up on my front lawn
Got the volume turned to ten
Playin Albert King the best again (black)
When the mornin in the cooker
Got to turn on some John Lee Hooker
When I want some rock and roll
Go to Otis Redding to get some soul

Say, James Brown got plenty of soul
James Brown like to rock and roll
He can do all the shit fo' sho'
that Elvis Presley could never know (black people)
Said, Kenny G ain't got no SOULLLL
John Coltrane is rock and roll (uh-huh)
You may dig on the Rolling Stones
but they could never ever rock like Nina Simone

ELVIS PRESLEY AIN'T GOT NO SOUL
JIMI HENDRIX IS ROCK AND ROLL
YOU MAY DIG ON THE ROLLING STONES
BUT EVERYTHING THEY DID THEY STOLE
ELVIS PRESLEY AIN'T GOT NO SOUL
BO DIDDLEY IS ROCK AND ROLL
YOU MAY DIG ON THE ROLLING STONES
BUT WE SEND THEY PUNK ASS HOME

So white people aren't allowed to make rock music, is that it?

Think
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 05/18/2012 01:23
  • Post subject:
What? No. It's about how black musicians originated a lot of the things that white artists later adopted and took for granted. It might be phrased in kind of a defiant way but can you blame him? How many kids can you think of that jam on the Rolling Stones and haven't even heard of Sam Cooke?

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/18/2012 01:43
  • Post subject:
But how come Rolling Stones are ripping a sound off but Hendrix isn't?

And what about Bad Brains and Fishbone, they were hardly early rock and roll pioneers so how come they're praised instead of criticised for ripping off a sound like the others?

You telling me if Bad Brains were all white he'd still be praising them? Or if Rolling Stones were all black he'd still be slating them?
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 05/18/2012 01:57
  • Post subject:
No, of course he wouldn't, but the entire point of the song is about honoring black musical pioneers so "what if Hendrix was a white guy" isn't really germane to the conversation.

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/18/2012 12:54
  • Post subject:
40footwolf wrote:
What? No. It's about how black musicians originated a lot of the things that white artists later adopted and took for granted.

Well this is sort of my point. Alot of the black artists he mentioned didn't 'originate' their sound just as much as the white artists he mentioned didn't 'originate' it. Yet because they're black that's fine, but if they're white they've "stole" the sound.
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 05/18/2012 16:23
  • Post subject:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
Well this is sort of my point. Alot of the black artists he mentioned didn't 'originate' their sound just as much as the white artists he mentioned didn't 'originate' it. Yet because they're black that's fine, but if they're white they've "stole" the sound.

Yeah, I find the reference to Bad Brains perplexing, considering punk has always been sorta "white", and as a genre was pioneered almost entirely by white people...

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/18/2012 16:28
  • Post subject:
Man, imagine if a folk/country singer did a song like that decrying black people from doing folk, country or electronic, people would fucking rage.
  • Visit poster's website