A fantastic album for you to listen to!

View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 03/01/2012 23:26
  • Post subject: A fantastic album for you to listen to!
Massive find! Very Happy Got a great one here!

I saw it in the HMV "Punk" section. Very odd thing to have in HMV, it's only like a small shelf. They condensed the metal shelf and used that, putting CD's onto it that had been in the Rock/Pop section before. So a bunch of stuff like Blink 182, Alexisonfire, Sum 41, Green Day sitting next to battered knocked about single albums of The Slits, Bad Brains, Dead Kennedys, Crass etc. Maybe there was two Dead Kennedys, Plastic Surgary and the best of. Not the point anyway.

While looking here I picked out one which I had never heard of before. The cover looked quite different. Some detailed map, old fashioned but not too old fashioned. Like the ones from Victorian era. All the land was red and there was lines. Not what you would expect from "punk".

Back home, first thing I notice is it isn't a loud in your face album I had expected to hear. Second thing I notice is THIS ALBUM IS GREAT!!!

First song, that got me right away. Bouncy, imaginative, informative a sharp sip of pineapple in hand. Gets the sweat spot good. Melody is right on!

And what follows? One of the greatest albums from an artist I haven't heard. The woman singer, the sporadic drumming, the lyrics... just the lyrics at some parts. Great all round. It was like time was flowing backwards and The Long Blondes were not only back together but had released an album in the late 1970's. Their song 'Autonomy Boy' sounds so much like this Shocked If you liked 'Someone To Drive You Home' this album will get a 9/10 or 10/10 from you guaranteed.

The album is called Metro Music. The group named Martha & The Muffins. I'll go lookies for some of the songs now. Oh, here are some:

Link

Link

Link

I can't find 'Sinking Land' but that is one of the greatest tracks on there.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/01/2012 23:39
  • Post subject:
Ha. I recognize that name Very Happy My grandfather taught the drummer (Tim Gane)

Ironically, I haven't listened to a single piece of music they've made Laughing

I'm on my phone right now, but I'll check out those videos once I'm on my laptop Smile
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 03/02/2012 01:48
  • Post subject:
Ahhh... Echo Beach... Canadian content laws on our radio stations meant this was all over AM radio in the early 80s. Good find - Martha & The Muffins! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website