Green

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 03/04/2012 23:53
  • Post subject:
Gasoline is very cheap, considering what you get from it. A litre of gas costs $1.15 in Calgary right now. How much distance and how much can be done with a litre of gas? It's worth way more than $1.15. You have to drill (or mine - oil sands) it out of the ground, ship it, refine it, ship it again, before you sell it at the pump. Gas is super cheap. Pepsi costs much more than that.

If gas was more expensive, people would be less wasteful. I saw a Hummer idling in the handi-cap parking stall outside a store the other day. Ultimate in Jerkfaceness.
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/05/2012 00:18
  • Post subject:
Well we're nearly at £1.40 a litre and I don't waste a drop!

EDIT: Not that I'm condoning tax hikes, I'd dearly love fuel duty to be lowered, a lot of people can't help having to drive places.
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 03/05/2012 05:06
  • Post subject:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
Well we're nearly at £1.40 a litre and I don't waste a drop!

EDIT: Not that I'm condoning tax hikes, I'd dearly love fuel duty to be lowered, a lot of people can't help having to drive places.

I'm sure that the 'need' to drive in England is much different than here. Most North Americans use their cars to do everything. Our societies have been built around cheap fuel and large cars. Just look at the sprawling suburbs, massive freeways and giant homes. European cities are society in general is much better prepared to handle high fuel prices. Cities built before cars + higher fuel prices = better long term sustainability. Maybe the fact that your gas is twice the price of ours is a good thing...

The 'price' of gas does not reflect the social, political or environmental cost. We can do better.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 03/05/2012 16:34
  • Post subject:

• Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/05/2012 23:29
  • Post subject:
You're right Juno but our public transport is still shite unless you live in London. I lost my car keys today and had to get to Bath from Bristol, it took two buses, two hours and about 8 quid. In my car that would have been 40 minutes and 2 quid worth of petrol.

How can the government hope to convince people to use public transport when it's as bad as this?

Without wanting to get too political I wish a certain someone hadn't privatised our public transport, you can bet the council wouldn't have charged me 8 quid to get home.
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 03/06/2012 01:41
  • Post subject:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
You're right Juno but our public transport is still shite unless you live in London. I lost my car keys today and had to get to Bath from Bristol, it took two buses, two hours and about 8 quid. In my car that would have been 40 minutes and 2 quid worth of petrol.

How can the government hope to convince people to use public transport when it's as bad as this?

Without wanting to get too political I wish a certain someone hadn't privatised our public transport, you can bet the council wouldn't have charged me 8 quid to get home.

True... That wasn't Maggie Thatcher was it?

I still think public transit in Europe is miles ahead where it is in North America. Interesting point - Calgary wouldn't fit within the M 25, and it has a million people. Sprawl, sprawl, sprawl. Our c-train and transit is improving, but still miles behind European standards.

If the price of gas went up, demand for transit would increase. Hopefully governments can keep pace ahead of demand, but we know they won't... Brick wall For now, I'll just enjoy every last Hummer that leaves our roads.
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 03/06/2012 03:37
  • Post subject:
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/07/2012 12:29
  • Post subject:
I may have been her I can't remember Wink

You're probably right about our public transport, it still sucks though. And yes we don't tend to have the sprawling suburbs you see in N. America, our cities are much more compact.

Regarding my new keys, they're gonna cost me £105! Surprised Surprised Shocked Shocked Are they having a larf?

Not at all happy. Sad Sad Sad
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 03/10/2012 20:25
  • Post subject:
If Naples can do it, so can I. For your amusement:

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 03/11/2012 03:40
  • Post subject:
I'm sure you googled it already, but last time I filled my truck up I paid $3.96 per gallon. That translates to:

USD 1.04 per liter, or
GBP 0.67 per liter, or
EUR 0.79 per liter.

Relatively inexpensive from an international point of view but relatively expensive from what it was just a few years ago. It should be noted though that most of the difference between the US gas price and the European gas prices is taxes. According to some these taxes have been put in place to promote the environment, according to others they have been put in place because those who hiked them taxes could.
  • Visit poster's website